Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

2012 Boss vs. 2003 M5

Search this Thread

Old 9/14/11, 06:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
just get option 3.. SHO taurus
I saw one at fastlane the other day with 4" pipes, CAI, and tune... Must say that it was badass
Old 9/14/11, 07:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
just get option 3.. SHO taurus
The Taurus is just a more bloated but better performing Camry. I just can't like that car. It has zero pedigree and a lot of useless fat. I'm really not trying to knock it but I just don't like anything about the Taurus and SHO. If I wanted a fast, fat, AWD car I can think of some better options. I respect the TT V6 but that's it.

To all those who own the Taurus, I really hope you enjoy it. It's just not my bag. Even knowing that it can get some serious speed.
Old 9/15/11, 06:04 AM
GT Member

Get an E63 AMG wagon, my brother had one, and it's really quick. Downside is mileage, but it sure was quick, and used they are quite reasonable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkLATjo6Oyo
Old 9/18/11, 01:00 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
In that case get a GT500, they are really quick and the downside is mileage as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbo1iaL0Lco , used they are quite reasonable

The whole trick to this is to make sure your wife can drive this future Mustang, let her take it someplace on a saturday so she gets noticed and you shouldn't have a problem after that

Last edited by bob; 9/18/11 at 01:04 PM.
Old 9/19/11, 09:38 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by bob
The whole trick to this is to make sure your wife can drive this future Mustang, let her take it someplace on a saturday so she gets noticed and you shouldn't have a problem after that
+1 when I got my Shelby finished I let my wife run to the store and after she saw several people just stop and stare as she drove buy then it changed her attitude.
Old 9/19/11, 09:28 PM
GT Member

They will do that!
Old 9/24/11, 12:49 PM
Cobra R Member

The E39 M5 is a sublime machine. I had an E39 540 6MT and it was a great car to drive (had M5 F&R sway bars and other M5 bits). Built like a tank and very nimble it was the ultimate driving machine no doubt. But then the creative and expensive failures mounted and finally caused enough marital stress that I had to get rid of it. Examples:
- Guess what happens when your trunk mounted battery fails when you have an electronic trunk lid opener?
- Guess what happens when you get someone OTHER than a BMW dealer to install the new battery and they disregard the vents?
- The WATER-COOLED ALTERNATOR. The stupid design was supposed to extend the life of the alternator. I went thru hell getting the 2nd one at 132K (the 1st one failed at 53K, so much for longevity). Guess how much labor is involved in replacing an alternator that's water-cooled, BTW?
- The reed valves in the A/C compressor that like to let go.
- The forged aluminum suspension pieces and oddball parts (who's ever heard of rear-suspension "ball joints"? $700 to replace both sides...
- And the list goes on and on...

Truly, the choice comes down to what you'd use them for. The M5 would be more for over-the-road comfort & speed, whereas the Boss would be almost-no-compromises track readiness. The Boss will challenge you, the M5 will pamper you (but challenge your wallet)...

My sister had an E39 Touring and found it began to break a lot of parts at about 90K. They're great cars, but having been through it, i think the best overall E39 to own long-term would be a 2003 535i. Really really.

Last edited by Double-EDad; 9/24/11 at 12:51 PM.
Old 9/26/11, 07:00 PM
GT Member

In that case get a GT500, they are really quick and the downside is mileage as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbo1iaL0Lco , used they are quite reasonable.
Problem is that Shelby's say, "Catch me copper!" The E63 AMG wagon doesn't. In fact, nobody but enthusiasts notice it. And with that automatic, it is really much faster off the line than most people realize. Which would I rather have? Well, the Shelby. Just make mine a '67 GT500 with a 427; the one I passed up 40 years ago for $2,800.
Old 9/27/11, 11:48 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulVincent
Problem is that Shelby's say, "Catch me copper!" .
Naw, mine is a DD and I've had zero issues with the cops harrassing me because I drive a 500+ hp car. Around my neck of the woods drivng around in rice with a fart can and some big wheels will get you more attention (for obvious reasons)

I think the only time some police actually gave my car any attention was in Titusville PA and even then I think it probably had more to do with my VA tags.

Which reminds me of a great drive I had through PA to VA, just cant remeber the route? Me and a buddy took a trip to Pittsburgh and he used his smart phone for directions, for some reason it took us through some killer back roads from PA to MD, nothing but hills and turns and more hills and turns, was an absolute blast to drive.

Damnit, and I told myself I wouldn't forget that road (seems to me it had something to do with a now defunct railway system for transporting coal).

Last edited by bob; 9/28/11 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10/3/11, 01:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I got the lady on board for the Boss. Just will be a couple years before I'm ready. So hopefully used prices don't skyrocket. I talked to the owner of a white Boss and an Orange one over the weekend. They can't get enough of the cars.