Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

2008 Camaro vs. 2008 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 1/1/07 | 09:12 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I know what you mean, but SVT is owned by Ford. Its not some individual company that has nothing to do with Ford (like Yenko was with Chevy back in the 1960s).
Old 1/4/07 | 10:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Has anyone seen the pics of the new Camaro convertible concept? Apparently whoever is in charge of wheel designs at GM really likes our 18" fanblades...
Old 1/4/07 | 10:25 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Originally Posted by Embalmer
Has anyone seen the pics of the new Camaro convertible concept? Apparently whoever is in charge of wheel designs at GM really likes our 18" fanblades...
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=58618
Old 1/5/07 | 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Embalmer
http://www.thecarconnection.com/imag...nails/3260.jpg
Yeah, I noticed that too (I love the Fanblades way better than the bland standard wheels or the way overused Bullitts).

As for the Camaro, I think the basic lines, proportions and styling are excellent and easily the equal of the Stang. It does have a few awkward aspects, mainly the front grill area and the tail lights, but overall, an excellent concept. Now let's see how well they translate that into an actual production car and perhaps clean up those awkward areas in the process. The interior is a bit less successfull to my eyes, but that is propably the most show car-y aspect and likely to be the most changed in the production version.

The motor, tranny and suspension certainly seem to readily best the Stangs current setups, but Ford can step up to the plate here, though I suspect they may, rather, duck direct competition and go for the low-buck route.

Of course, all this is speculative bench racing at best and all three cars could readily surprise us for better or worse when they meet head to head, showroom to showroom in a year or so.
Old 1/5/07 | 05:04 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by rhumb
...when they meet head to head, showroom to showroom in a year or so.
Probably closer to two or two-and-a-half years from now.
Old 1/9/07 | 06:50 PM
bt4
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
A lot of speculation, obviously, given that we haven't seen the real next edition Stang, Camaro or Challenger. But then, mindless speculating is what makes these forums so much fun, right?
Right!

I have read on MotorTrend that DCX and GM may have a problem. Due to the cost of the new vehicles' chassis + IRS, neither the new Camaro, or Challenger will be able to compete price-wise with the entry level Mustangs. It's still too soon for either manufacturer to set a price--though each probably has a ballpark figure. But, the Challenger is going to be built on a larger more expensive frame than Camaro, or Mustang. In fact, one report is that Challenger may not even offer a package comparable to the base Mustang. GM was speculating if they could come within 2K of the base Mustang and still make margin.

Though the F-bodies were quicker than than the Mustang from 0-60, they were a lot slower off the showroom floor. From 2000-2001 the Mustang outsold Camaro by a ratio of close to 3-1. Revenue, not timing slips is why Ford produces a Mustang today, and why GM did not continue the F-body Camaro. And an attractive entry level offering plays a big part in that revenue stream.

I like the looks of the Challenger, but with a price tag as hefty as its weight, it might be a limited run. Shared platform, or no, high-ticket products have a limited market. (Ford, DCX, and GM know this well. T-bird, Prowler, SSR, etc.)

I like the side-view of the Camaro prototype. The rear 3/4 view is not bad. But something about the front--the grill just doesn't seem quite right. It's not completely ugly, but doesn't quite mesh with the rest of the car. They'll probably sell well with the bow-tie crowd. But without a strong entry level offering, the new Camaro might not be able to command as strong a market share as GM would like.

-mindless speculation!
Old 1/9/07 | 08:42 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by bt4
Right!

I have read on MotorTrend that DCX and GM may have a problem. Due to the cost of the new vehicles' chassis + IRS, neither the new Camaro, or Challenger will be able to compete price-wise with the entry level Mustangs. It's still too soon for either manufacturer to set a price--though each probably has a ballpark figure. But, the Challenger is going to be built on a larger more expensive frame than Camaro, or Mustang. In fact, one report is that Challenger may not even offer a package comparable to the base Mustang. GM was speculating if they could come within 2K of the base Mustang and still make margin.

Though the F-bodies were quicker than than the Mustang from 0-60, they were a lot slower off the showroom floor. From 2000-2001 the Mustang outsold Camaro by a ratio of close to 3-1. Revenue, not timing slips is why Ford produces a Mustang today, and why GM did not continue the F-body Camaro. And an attractive entry level offering plays a big part in that revenue stream.

I like the looks of the Challenger, but with a price tag as hefty as its weight, it might be a limited run. Shared platform, or no, high-ticket products have a limited market. (Ford, DCX, and GM know this well. T-bird, Prowler, SSR, etc.)

I like the side-view of the Camaro prototype. The rear 3/4 view is not bad. But something about the front--the grill just doesn't seem quite right. It's not completely ugly, but doesn't quite mesh with the rest of the car. They'll probably sell well with the bow-tie crowd. But without a strong entry level offering, the new Camaro might not be able to command as strong a market share as GM would like.

-mindless speculation!
I suspect GM's business model for the Camaro goes well beyond just "competing with the Mustang." More likely they will target this car as a legitimate American muscle car that can go head-to-head with competitors from Japan and Europe in terms of things like refinement, power, suspension, etc. The fact that they're looking at exporting it to Europe is proof of that. It will also amortize the development costs and justify the higher price tag than the Mustang.

The current Mustang would never be able to compete performance-wise with this new Camaro. Hopefully the 2010 Stang will, assuming it gets more power and IRS.
Old 1/10/07 | 04:57 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
The current Mustang would never be able to compete performance-wise with this new Camaro. Hopefully the 2010 Stang will, assuming it gets more power and IRS.
I dunno, if the power to weight ratio is nearly the same (which I doubt as I assume the F5 will weigh nearly the same as the Mustang, but probably just a tad heavier and have in the neighborhood of 100 to 150+ hp) I doubt it would walk away from the Mustang. An IRS rear end will not make that kind of difference, bumps or not, its all gonna come down to power, torque, gearing and efficiency.
Old 1/18/07 | 08:59 PM
Big Falken Tires

(A) the vert looks better but I still hate the overall look of this car

(B) N/A 400hp?....
Can't wait for the first one that comes looking for me right after they are released and thinks I am stock because of the general appearance of my car
Old 1/18/07 | 09:03 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by Burke0011
(A) the vert looks better but I still hate the overall look of this car

(B) N/A 400hp?....
Can't wait for the first one that comes looking for me right after they are released and thinks I am stock because of the general appearance of my car
I wish I could be in your passenger seat when that happens!
Old 1/18/07 | 10:15 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Burke0011
(B) N/A 400hp?....
Until he comes back the following month with a blower added to his car and blows you away.

Apples to oranges.
Old 1/19/07 | 08:20 PM

i don think it'll come as it's shown, but i believe that the camaro as a stock car looks veeeeery better than the stock stang, which look kinda silly, so it always need to be modified. when the stang get pimped up, it's just the best, but we should wait till we say a production model from camaro and see its mods.

by the way, if u people r so concerned, just get a procharger or somethin n let the engine make its presentation , n enjoy the music of its exhaust sys , n smoke the camaro + challenger
Old 1/19/07 | 08:24 PM
I lust for a M24

Old 1/19/07 | 08:28 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
It appears Borat is a Mustang enthusiast.
Old 1/19/07 | 11:34 PM
Cam Tease

Old 1/30/07 | 10:17 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Until he comes back the following month with a blower added to his car and blows you away.

Apples to oranges.
Well GEE then BC - maybe I'll have MY Dad beat up his Dad...........

Dude you really take perverse pleasure in posting negative comments in about 98% of the threads you respond to on this site.

Someone should have bought you a teddy bear or something as a kid......

Lighten the F up man..........
Old 2/2/07 | 03:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

I still don't see a 2008 camaro possible. And the show car has less to do with a production vehicle then the 03 Mustang show car did with the 05. The development of the S197 stang was all but complete when the show car first made the circuit. GM hadn't even started yet(if they even have at all) when the showcar came about last year. Its one thing to simply rebadge existing Opels and Holdens, but there is no equivalent coupe yet on the intended platform, so Chevy will actually have to make a car for a change, on-the-shelf platform or not. Chevy's execution for most of its newest vehicles has been less-then-stellar to say the least.
Old 2/2/07 | 05:46 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by kevinb120
I still don't see a 2008 camaro possible.
When it comes out, just tell yourself it's a hallucination.

Chevy's execution for most of its newest vehicles has been less-then-stellar to say the least.
Actually, that new Malibu looks BETTER than Camry and Accord, from everything I've seen. I don't think you can look at GM today and not say they are making major progress...and they're doing it a lot faster than Ford, sadly.
Old 2/2/07 | 10:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Considering your extremely limited experience with actual vehicles other then complaining on a forum, I could care less what you think. Like I said before, its like listening to the lot porters talk about cars. Cripes I'm feeding the troll.
Old 2/3/07 | 11:09 AM
Closet American

Considering your extremely limited experience with actual vehicles other then complaining on a forum, I could care less what you think. Like I said before, its like listening to the lot porters talk about cars. Cripes I'm feeding the troll.
Considering your rigid thinking and erroneous statements like the one above (you have no idea what my experience with vehicles is), it's no wonder you think of anyone more informed than yourself as a "troll."

By the way...hot tip for ya: actual trolls don't make it to 2287 posts. Oh yeah, I forgot...there's that rigid thinking at work again.

Quick Reply: 2008 Camaro vs. 2008 Mustang