Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

'05 Corvette vs '05 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/04, 09:11 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disclaimer:

I haven't seen the new Mustang, I love Mustangs. I have wanted one since I was 13. With that said.

I saw the new C6 Corvette today. I hate the C5, she's got a fat hiney. Just not my bag, really never liked them at all to be honest.

C6, what can I say. It is the nicest car I have ever been in. I have driven BMW M3, M5, Porche BoxterS, 911TT, Mustang GT, F-150 Lariat FX4... Lots of cars. Anyone else have any impressions of the new Vette? Now I haven't had the chance to even see the new Mustang but I'm sure I'll drool over it too.

The $20,000 (-/+) price difference also plays a factor in build and technology put in the vehicle.

So what I would like to hear is from people who have seen/driven both to compare? Even if you have sat/seen both. Toss in your opinions and comparisons.

Like I said, two different classes of cars, but I really think that Ford has to look at the new C6 as the competition for the Cobra.

Just my thoughts,
Lirathal
Old 9/22/04, 09:13 AM
I'm people, and I like.

dont be surprised if this is moved
Old 9/22/04, 09:28 AM
Bullitt Member

The C6 is defintely a nice machine, but it is in a whole different price class. They have really refined it and it is a sweet machine.

I don't know if the Cobra is even in that "group". The vette goes up against Vipers, 911's, and other 2 seat sports cars. The Cobra's competition will be the LS2 GTO, maybe a 2 door Chrysler with the 6 liter hemi.

You could make the same comparison to the Ford GT and the Vette, both 2 seaters, sports cars, but different classes. The GT is a supercar going up against Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Mcalarens, etc. in the supercar class.
Old 9/22/04, 09:36 AM
GT Member

I think Flyinlow is right about competition between the two--different cars with different missions. I do have to say that I too, love the C6--I saw my first one this weekend, but from a distance I first thought it was italian. I'm sold on the 'stang though....
Old 9/22/04, 09:43 AM
FR500 Member

You can't compare these two cars. Maybe the new CObra and the C6... and I bet the new Cobra has more horses, and for less money. And the C6 has a huger hiney than the C5 anyway. Go to a Corvette forum and speak your mind... we don't want to hear it here.
Old 9/22/04, 10:15 AM

People have to keep an open mind, and i certainly have no problem discussing the C6 corvette (though this comparison may be a bit apples to oranges). All in all, i think it is wrong to act so rudely to someone who is obvioulsy a mustang enthusiast simply because he brought up one of its rather distant competitors with a positive connotation. But thats just my 2 cents

Jason
Old 9/22/04, 10:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Agreed Soccer2789, I want to hear what he has to say!

Anyway, back on topic, I saw the new C6 at the local Chevy dealership (was there getting the mirror fixed on the family Tahoe) and this thing is nice! I think Ford and Chevy have done a good job in keeping the Mustang and Corvette eras rolling forward.

Oh, and I certainly hope they stick enough horses in the 07 Cobra to be able to do battle with at least the LS2 engine! B)

J.
Old 9/22/04, 10:28 AM
Cobra Member

I personally despize the new vette. I like the c-5 a lot better. Anyway the butt is bigger on the c-6..... Anywho a gt will not compare and neither will the prices. You can wait for the cobra but its all up to you. There is plenty of pics, video, and info. Its the best source of info around. My impression.... I am getting an se later.

Roger
Old 9/22/04, 10:36 AM
Cobra Member

Apples and Oranges! Both are nice.
We polish and buff the C6 wheel in my plant!
Old 9/22/04, 10:58 AM
GT Member

A friend bought a C5 last month. I drove it, and loved it. It kicks major butt on our dear Mustangs in every performance parameter, period. A 4.6L is puny compared to a 5.7L. The amazing thing is the great deal he got-now read this and weep:

$4000 factory rebate
$6000 dealer mark-down
$1000 GM loyalty discount
$2500 GM credit card discount

If you can bet by with only two seats, the C5 is a GREAT buy now. darn Ford for not having similar loyalty and credit card programs. :bang:
Old 9/22/04, 10:58 AM
FR500 Member

If you want to discuss the C6, go to a Corvette forum. Why would anyone even think about comparing the Mustang to the Corvette? It's not even about Mustang vs. Corvette, or Ford vs. Chevy. It's the fact that they are in completely different classes. I should start a new thread, "Compare the '05 Mustang GT with the '05 Mustang V6". That would be even better than this thread. Apples and oranges.
Old 9/22/04, 11:06 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
acadian, it is an apples to oranges type discussion here, but this board is open to all types of car talk. In the end, we are all after the same thing, performance, style, a certain culture and He came here asking a valid question. He should not be told to leave. Obviously he's trying to decide on which one he would like to possibly purchase.

I think this will be a much more valid post once the cobra specs are released, but for now, I dont think you can really compare the 05 gt to a 05 vette. Stock for stock, the vette will have more power, more refined quality and suspension, though Ford did a good job with the suspension on the 05 moving to the coil over and 3-link setup.
Old 9/22/04, 11:11 AM
GT Member

Hey acadian, you are not in a position to complain about what others write. Disagree, yes; ask to leave, no. If you can't deal with the facts about our dear Mustangs, you've got issues brutha.
Old 9/22/04, 11:14 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
I think we can drop the leaving part and continue on with the discussion...

Thanks.
Old 9/22/04, 11:20 AM
GT Member

Agreed. I see the comparison between the C5 and the '05 Mustang GT, not the C6. This is because of the great deals offered on the C5 currently. If I did not to haul around the kids, two seats would do it for me.

I drove both the C5 and '05 GT and the C5 is much more fun and refined to drive. The torque offered by the additional 1.1L is allways ready and the C5 is lower to the ground and flatter in the corners.

Of course insurance will be much higher. But on a $/performance basis, the C5 beats the '05 GT.
Old 9/22/04, 11:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Stinky Old Fart@September 22, 2004, 11:01 AM
A friend bought a C5 last month. I drove it, and loved it. It kicks major butt on our dear Mustangs in every performance parameter, period. A 4.6L is puny compared to a 5.7L. The amazing thing is the great deal he got-now read this and weep:

$4000 factory rebate
$6000 dealer mark-down

If you can bet by with only two seats, the C5 is a GREAT buy now. darn Ford for not having similar loyalty and credit card programs. :bang:
What you're missing in that equation is that GM is loosing a LOT of profit by offering huge incentives like that.
Old 9/22/04, 11:37 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by USA-Adam+September 22, 2004, 11:36 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (USA-Adam @ September 22, 2004, 11:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Stinky Old Fart@September 22, 2004, 11:01 AM

$4000 factory rebate
$6000 dealer mark-down

What you're missing in that equation is that GM is loosing a LOT of profit by offering huge incentives like that. [/b][/quote]
Who cares about the loss of profit to GM? It is a rare moment when you can get a 'vett for the price of a Mustang 'vert.
Old 9/22/04, 12:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Stinky Old Fart@September 22, 2004, 11:23 AM
Agreed. I see the comparison between the C5 and the '05 Mustang GT, not the C6. This is because of the great deals offered on the C5 currently. If I did not to haul around the kids, two seats would do it for me.

I drove both the C5 and '05 GT and the C5 is much more fun and refined to drive. The torque offered by the additional 1.1L is allways ready and the C5 is lower to the ground and flatter in the corners.

Of course insurance will be much higher. But on a $/performance basis, the C5 beats the '05 GT.
I love the Corvette but want a little more room. If I could have two cars, one would be a Corvette' either C5 or C6. I've been looking at a 2001 C5 but I'm not ready to get rid of my vert yet.

The Corvette is faster and handles better, gets better mpg, and the styling is a coin toss. Both look great. The 2005 Mustang and the C6 are significant improvements over their predecessors. Either would be a good choice.

Interestly enough, I have looked at a couple of Corvette forums and most of them pay less for insurance on their Corvettes than we do on Mustangs. I'm thinking that's because there are fewer younger Corvette drivers than Mustangs and they don't wreck their cars as often. Who really knows?
Old 9/22/04, 01:15 PM
Cobra R Member

The new corvette does nothing for me...As a kid i remember loving the look of the 1962 vette...I wish gm would bring back the retro look to the corvette like ford has done with the mustang...The new vette is just another retread on the same design they have had since 1984...The vette used to be affordable sports car that broke new ground for design...with the 2005 model,all they have done is make a another tierd ferrari wannabe...
Old 9/22/04, 01:17 PM
V6 Member

Flyinlow was spot on, but like it's been stated, this is a Mustang 2005 forum.

Quick Reply: '05 Corvette vs '05 Mustang