From The Ford Salesman News and information directly from Ford dealers across the country. Also find a trusty dealership near you
Ford Salesmen Post Your Contact Info Here

Ordered a 2006 Mustang on X-Plan

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/05, 08:34 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found out this weekend when I went in to try and change some options on my Mustang that my order hasn't been sent in yet. I was under the impression that the dealership would just put the order in when I placed it, but that not correct apparently.

What's the standard practice with X-Plan orders?
Old 8/16/05, 05:44 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by kabuki104@August 15, 2005, 8:37 PM
I found out this weekend when I went in to try and change some options on my Mustang that my order hasn't been sent in yet. I was under the impression that the dealership would just put the order in when I placed it, but that not correct apparently.

Every dealer is different and has their own proceedures for handling orders. Personally I treat all sold orders the same and put them in the system while the customer is still here so we can review the order and make sure it is exactly what the customer wants before I hit the enter button. I then print out 2 copies, one for each of us and I have him/her ok my copy so there is no misunderstandings on either part on how the vehicle is supposed to be built.
Since I mainly deal with highly technical commercial trucks with a host of aftermarket equipment, it is just second nature to go everything completely with the customer so there are no surprises.
Old 8/16/05, 06:34 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by kabuki104@August 15, 2005, 10:37 PM

Of course Ed can give a better view on all fronts, but just as a datapoint - I ordered on xPlan, was serialized two weeks after ordering and got a built week six weeks from the day I ordered.

Originally put in as a priority 40, asked to be a 10 (Dealer was dumbstruck how I knew what a DORA was and what the priority bounds were), and they did it.

No complaints. Find out what your priority is. Possibly you should speak with another dealer.
Old 8/16/05, 08:27 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by ISELLFORD+August 16, 2005, 5:47 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ISELLFORD @ August 16, 2005, 5:47 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Every dealer is different and has their own proceedures for handling orders. Personally I treat all sold orders the same and put them in the system while the customer is still here so we can review the order and make sure it is exactly what the customer wants before I hit the enter button. I then print out 2 copies, one for each of us and I have him/her ok my copy so there is no misunderstandings on either part on how the vehicle is supposed to be built.
Since I mainly deal with highly technical commercial trucks with a host of aftermarket equipment, it is just second nature to go everything completely with the customer so there are no surprises.
[/b]

At what point do you think I should be suspicious that this dealership is just toying with me? I'd really like to buy through the fleet manager I'm dealing with, but I just don't understand why my order hasn't been sent in after roughly a week and a half.

Thank you again for your insight Ed. I know I'm really new here and I appreciate you taking the time to answer what could possibly be an unimportant question.

<!--QuoteBegin-DiamondBlue
@August 16, 2005, 6:37 AM
Of course Ed can give a better view on all fronts, but just as a datapoint - I ordered on xPlan, was serialized two weeks after ordering and got a built week six weeks from the day I ordered.

Originally put in as a priority 40, asked to be a 10 (Dealer was dumbstruck how I knew what a DORA was and what the priority bounds were), and they did it.

No complaints. Find out what your priority is. Possibly you should speak with another dealer.
[/quote]

I've got a copy of the dealers order screen, no dora because they've not sent in my order. Priority is 40 as well and they didn't want to use B16 for me either.

I should probably start looking at other California dealers at this point just as a precaution. Thank you for your experience.

I know that this is a very popular car, and that I'm getting roughly three thousand shaved off the price. I've got little room to complain. But this is my first new car and I'd like to have it in time for Christmas to show off to my relatives.
Old 8/16/05, 08:39 AM
Cobra Member

If they have not sent your order in yet, i would be very suspicious and start looking for another dealer in your area who will take your x-plan pin.
Old 8/16/05, 09:07 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by ISELLFORD@August 16, 2005, 8:42 AM
If they have not sent your order in yet, i would be very suspicious and start looking for another dealer in your area who will take your x-plan pin.
:bang:

I'm going to call the dealership as a followup to the e-mail I sent yesterday.

I came in this weekend to try and add some options to my order. Turns out that John, "hadn't pulled the trigger" yet. So now I'm wondering if the retail orders that were behind me are now in front of me on the list.

I don't want to be a bother, but I'm really hoping that allocation problems aren't going to keep me from getting a new car before the end of the year.

Thanks for your time,
Ryan Adams
Anything else I should ask, or should I just go in and take my deposit back now?
Old 8/16/05, 09:55 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by kabuki104@August 16, 2005, 9:10 AM
:bang:

I'm going to call the dealership as a followup to the e-mail I sent yesterday.
Anything else I should ask, or should I just go in and take my deposit back now?
Just ask them point blank, why haven't you ordered my car yet, when will it be ordered, and when will you have allocation to get it scheduled. If you do not like the answers, ask for your deposit back and don;t leave without it.
Old 8/16/05, 10:29 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by ISELLFORD@August 16, 2005, 9:58 AM
Just ask them point blank, why haven't you ordered my car yet, when will it be ordered, and when will you have allocation to get it scheduled. If you do not like the answers, ask for your deposit back and don;t leave without it.
Called and talked to the fleet dealer I'm going through. Asked point blank when they're going to order my car. He said that he's going to talk with the store owner today.

If it's not ordered by the end of the day, I'll find another dealer.
Old 8/16/05, 03:12 PM
V6 Member

Got more information. The fleet dealer claims that they've not ordered ANY new mustangs be it retail or order. Supposedly they recently amalgamated three dealerships into one, and that the store manager is meeting with a Ford Rep this Friday and they'll find out what their allocation is then.

The funny thing is, at the beginning of the conversation he said that they weren't going to order until the end of the month. So, which is it? This Friday, or the end of the month?
Old 8/16/05, 05:10 PM
Cobra Member

Time to find a new dealer. At least check around and find what your options are.
Old 8/16/05, 05:17 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by DiamondBlue@August 16, 2005, 5:13 PM
Time to find a new dealer. At least check around and find what your options are.

Found one just now. Will order tomorrow morning. What a mess.
Old 8/16/05, 06:17 PM
Cobra Member

The first allocation period is over and I can;t believe they had ZERO Mustangs.
The second period opens Thursday and we have 2 a week for 3 weeks and the 4th week, one. So if they still have not set up any allocation that means they will miss the second allocation period.
Old 8/16/05, 06:43 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by ISELLFORD@August 16, 2005, 6:20 PM
The first allocation period is over and I can;t believe they had ZERO Mustangs.
The second period opens Thursday and we have 2 a week for 3 weeks and the 4th week, one. So if they still have not set up any allocation that means they will miss the second allocation period.
When I went in to get my deposit, apparently the head honcho came out and asked me who was managing to get Mustangs allocated. I told him Swanson Ford in Los Gatos which is a 20 minute drive from them was. "Even X-Plan?" he asked me. I couldn't answer that, but I trust you over them. Deposit will be going back into my account, and I'll order again tomorrow morning.
Old 8/17/05, 10:22 AM
V6 Member

Went into Swanson Ford in Los Gatos, CA. DON'T GIVE THEM BUSINESS. The dealer I talked to yesterday assured me that he could do an X-plan order. His tune changed when I walked in the door. What a lousy dealership.

Anyone in California want my money for a 2006 Mustang?
Old 8/17/05, 06:13 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by kabuki104@August 17, 2005, 10:25 AM
Anyone in California want my money for a 2006 Mustang?
Well, what a turn of events. I'm getting my 2006 Mustang GT THIS WEEKEND!

I called Terri from Mossy Ford down in San Diego about that 2006 Black GT she posted about in the 2005+ Mustang forum. Turns out that she had a White Premium coupe coming in on Friday. The person that ordered it backed out of the deal, and I swooped in! X-Plan pricing and everything!

It's kinda like a fairy tale, only much less interesting.

Thanks again Ed. I'd still be stuck waiting if it weren't for you!
Old 8/17/05, 07:09 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by kabuki104@August 17, 2005, 6:16 PM

I called Terri from Mossy Ford down in San Diego about that 2006 Black GT she posted about in the 2005+ Mustang forum. Turns out that she had a White Premium coupe coming in on Friday. The person that ordered it backed out of the deal, and I swooped in! X-Plan pricing and everything!

Glad to be of assistance in my small way. Good luck with your new ride.
Old 8/17/05, 07:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by kabuki104@August 17, 2005, 8:16 PM

That's excellent. Make sure you visit the dealer that started this mess by delaying you and say hello.

While driving your new car.
Old 8/23/05, 08:10 PM
GT Member

I've been waiting for my 05 since feb2. I never was notified that it wasn't going to be built. I want to know dealers are getting 06 GTs all over the place and MY brand new order, pri 10, as of August 1 is clean and unscheduled?

Whats the deal????