From The Ford Salesman News and information directly from Ford dealers across the country. Also find a trusty dealership near you
Ford Salesmen Post Your Contact Info Here

High RPMs on the lot

Search this Thread

Old 12/20/05, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently looked at a 2006 GT auto trans on a local lot. The salesman put in the keys and I started up. In neutral, I gave the accelerator a good punch to hear the exhaust growl. But when I let off the pedal the RPMs stayed way up high for a couple of seconds. Then they slowly drifted down for a couple of seconds more, settling into idle at a still high 1500 RPM. Felt like the throttle was sticking.

This happened several times in a row when I depressed the pedal. (This was a cold start in 45 degree weather. I don't know how it ran when the engine warmed up. I didn't have time for a proper test drive.)

The salesman said this was normal. It was the ECM training itself. He said the new car needs 10 -12 cold starts to train themselves. Since this car was brand new on the lot it hadn't many starts yet. After several more cold starts the ECM would have itself programed, and all the RPM funnybusiness would go away.

Is this an accurate explanation? Would like to know before looking more. Thanks in advance for any comments.
Old 12/20/05, 06:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's the new eletronic throttle holding the RPM's up. It's done for emissions I believe. Getting a tune will rid yourself of this. The computer holds RPM's high between shifts, and when you have a manual and knock it in neutral when approaching a stop or red light. It took me a good while to get used to it, and then I got a tune from Bamachips, and now it's basically gone.