From The Ford Salesman News and information directly from Ford dealers across the country. Also find a trusty dealership near you
Ford Salesmen Post Your Contact Info Here

Dealer Allocation and Past Sales Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 7/20/05, 03:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a way for someone who isn't a dealer or Ford employee to find out how many vehicles a dealer has sold (by model) and what allocation they're getting for future production?

Of course I'm mostly curious about who the biggest dealer in my area is for the Mustang GT, and what their allocation looks like over the next few months.

Is is generally better to go with a larger dealer or a smaller one? I'm thinking large may be bad - they don't need my business as much - but small may be bad as well, since they may not get the allocation a larger dealer has.

Thanks.
Old 7/20/05, 07:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DiamondBlue@July 20, 2005, 3:54 PM
Is there a way for someone who isn't a dealer or Ford employee to find out how many vehicles a dealer has sold (by model) and what allocation they're getting for future production?

Of course I'm mostly curious about who the biggest dealer in my area is for the Mustang GT, and what their allocation looks like over the next few months.

Is is generally better to go with a larger dealer or a smaller one? I'm thinking large may be bad - they don't need my business as much - but small may be bad as well, since they may not get the allocation a larger dealer has.

Thanks.
Ford allocates vehicles approximately every 4-6 weeks. The way the system is supposed to work is that you earn allocation based on previous sales so the more you turn, the more you earn. Sometimes this is skeued by sales quotas of the zone reps. If say no dealers are buying Freestars and he / she has Freestars available, they may trade extra Mustang allocation for Freestar numbers [you scratch my back & I scratch yours].

There is no way the common person can find out about a dealers allocation, heck most salespersons don;t even know what their dealer is allocated. And even though say a dealer has 8 Mustangs for a particular allocation period, there is no way to guarantee GT production numbers as each week we get a commodity preview of what is available for that weeks production.

Generally dealers in the Southwest and Southeast have a higher volume of Mustangs. Just ask your dealer what his allocation is and when he can reasonably expect to get you a car.

FYI, this allocation period is almost over and our zone front loaded GT's so all we have left is V-6's until the next period due to commodity constraints. That should come in the next couple weeks.