Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Driving on a road course

Search this Thread

Old 12/14/06, 04:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving on a road course

Hope this is the right place to post this.

Twice now, I have had the opportunity to run on a roadcourse. This was in my Cobra, for Holiday laps. This is a charity event, limited speed ( somewhat ), follow the pace car, no passing. I had a blast and want more. What is next?

I have read a little about NASA, SCCA, and HPDE events, but there does not seem to be a whole lot of info even on their own sites. What needs to be done to the car? What personal protection is required .... etc. Any info or links would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12/15/06, 06:54 AM
I talk to cones.

All that is listed on the NASA websites under event information, just pick a time to go and you will have to set your car up according to the technical inspection and bring your safety equipment also spelled out in the event info.
Old 12/16/06, 10:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are many, many clubs that put on these types of events. I run my car with the PCA (porsche club of america) as seen in my sig, they have what the call DE (driver education) events which is the same format as HPDE. There is also, NASA and others. Like Softbatch said, on their web sites they have what is needed and contacts. So ask questions or PM me and I can give you some tips.

Heres a cool video of my last event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgPYJYah-UI My car is the silver 06 that passes on the left.
Old 12/20/06, 01:09 PM

If you to nasaproracing.com, on the left side of the page, click on HPDE/OPEN Track. It gives you the rundown of the event classes. There is also a link to the club codes and regulations, which has a section on the HPDE requirements. Also at the bottom of the page are some articles that describe the individuals experiences at the track, driving tips, what to bring, etc.
I have personally done this and I can say that this group does a great job at putting on the events.
You should start out in HPDE 1. It is a driving school, with classroom time and track time, with an experienced instructor riding with you. I have had three different instructors ride with me and they all were very good drivers.
I have advanced to HPDE 3, next month will be my first event in group 3, which looks like a pretty fast group.
I don't know much about the other organizations that do similar things, but the NASA program is excellent.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Old 4/3/07, 10:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by fastduo
There are many, many clubs that put on these types of events. I run my car with the PCA (porsche club of america) as seen in my sig, they have what the call DE (driver education) events which is the same format as HPDE. There is also, NASA and others. Like Softbatch said, on their web sites they have what is needed and contacts. So ask questions or PM me and I can give you some tips.

Heres a cool video of my last event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgPYJYah-UI My car is the silver 06 that passes on the left.

Most race tracks have a local drivers club. Ours is called FAST FRIDAYS.

Some have membership dues some dont.(we did, then we didn't, now we do again)

The tracks that have open track days will also have orientation days, so you can get your on track credentials and drive without an instructor.

By the way,Fastduo, cool vid!!

I'll be shooting some HD stuff on Friday 4/6/7 and hope to have it posted soon after!!

Jay