Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

ZAINO - HOW TO

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/05, 06:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 coat of zaino! Stagnarang, I also clay bar'd and didn't notice it pulling much out of the paint, but it did make the surface much more smooth. My car was about a week old when I did it as well.
Old 6/8/05, 09:48 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by rrobello@June 8, 2005, 2:26 AM
my question to you is that you said not only did you use only one coat of NXT but did you polish first or are you just comparing the NXT by itself to the Zaino process?
Good point. No I did not polish. However, the car was almost brand new when I waxed it with NXT.
Old 6/8/05, 09:54 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

As a few of you have mentioned, the claybar did do a lot in certain areas but it pulled off a lot of road tar etc. from the front bumper and rocker panels. Definately worth doing.
Old 6/8/05, 10:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by kevinv-6@June 7, 2005, 4:28 PM
ok I have to post my Mustang after 4 coats of Zaino

She looks stunning there Kevin!!!
Old 6/8/05, 11:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

I just started my Zaino process yesterday. I've had the car almost 3 months now and wanted to wait. (Yeah I know you're supposed to be able to do all this right after getting the car but waited to be on the safe side anyway.)

I did the Dawn wash last night with a thorough dry. Started the clay bar this morning on the passenger side. The clay bar did not pick up much on most of the sides but really did well on the lower sides and on the rocker panels.

I've pulled the car of the road and put it in the garage until finished 3 coats.

If it does well I might do the 65 but it is full of Meguiers multi step wax and polish to get off first.

Here are 2 before pics.
Old 6/8/05, 11:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

where's the pics?
Old 6/8/05, 11:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Had to resize the pics
Old 6/8/05, 11:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

The second one
Old 6/8/05, 11:23 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I got my car and zaino'd it within the first month, and I was suprised at the ammount of crap the claybar pulled out on a new car.
Then again it is based on where you drive, and how much junk was in the paint in convoy to the dealership (raildust etc)

its worth doing, regardless how long you had the car, even if it only pulls a bit out....time consuming but definately worth it!
Old 6/8/05, 11:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

them's purty pictures!
Old 6/8/05, 11:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thank you. This might be a stupid question but is it best to do whatever coats of Z5 you want to do first then your coats of Z2, or alternate between Z5 and Z2 starting with Z5 first then ending in Z2 last.

I was going to do a Z6 spray and wipe between each layer of anything.
Old 6/8/05, 11:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 6505pony@June 8, 2005, 1:34 PM
Thank you. This might be a stupid question but is it best to do whatever coats of Z5 you want to do first then your coats of Z2, or alternate between Z5 and Z2 starting with Z5 first then ending in Z2 last.

I was going to do a Z6 spray and wipe between each layer of anything.
You should wash with Dawn or similiar detergent to remove the suface contaminants and the old wax / polish. Then claybar to get the little stuff. Then Z-5 to cover any scratches or swirls left over from the dealer prep or your own mistakes. Then once you are satisfied with the finish (Multiple coats of Z-5 if needed) a quick wipe down with the gloss enhancer or Z-8 and a few coats of Z2 Pro with the spray / wipe down between coats. And always finish with the wipe down again.
Old 6/8/05, 11:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

I was kinda thinking that. Just wanted to make sure before I started the Z5 and Z2 this weekend.
Old 6/8/05, 12:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 6505pony@June 8, 2005, 1:55 PM
I was kinda thinking that. Just wanted to make sure before I started the Z5 and Z2 this weekend.
I spent about 8 hours on Memorial Day, that included removing all 4 wheels and cleaning them inside and out as well. But the final product was well worth it. This is only the second session since I bought it in February. I figure once every 3 months or so should keep it looking nice. Problem is that I go crazy with the wipe downs.... I live in an apartment complex and there are nobibs for washing the car. So, wipe downs with a wash maybe once a month for me.
Old 6/8/05, 12:40 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

here is a couple of pointers for those using the Zaino steps....

remember that the use of Dawn or dish soap is recomended for the beginning of this lenghty process because it strips everything off the car...use a car shampoo to do a normal wash after you have done all of this so that you do not need to repeat the whole process. The dish soap will strip all the wax off and you will need to start over, but since you have a couple of good coats of wax on top of these hot rides you do not need to repeat this process (the less you touch your car the better). Use any of of the great car shampoos to do your future washes....if you want to rewax to add on top and keep an awesome shine going go ahead just make sure the surface is real clean (use a cleaner wax or if really needed clay the areas that need it). Just make sure whatever shampoo you use that it has a neutral PH balance and to follow the propper shampoo to water mixture ratios on the container closely. Also to use two buckets while washing, one with the shampoo mixture and the other with clean water to rinse your wash mit or sponge in between its trips to the car, so that the dirt contaminants dont mix in the cleaning solution and get onto the car.

Also dont clay bar all the time it works great to remove surface debris but if used when its not needed it will start to work against you.

HAPPY CLEANING
Old 6/8/05, 01:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just had to get the first couple thousand miles out of my system before I pulled the car off the road for several days to go through the whole process the way I wanted.

It's best that once you start that you don't drive it anywhere so it doesn't get dusty or dirty until after you're finished.

Looks like its going to be me, car, stereo and Budweiser in the garage over the weekend.
Old 6/8/05, 01:14 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by nbk13nw@June 8, 2005, 1:43 PM
You should wash with Dawn or similiar detergent to remove the suface contaminants and the old wax / polish. Then claybar to get the little stuff. Then Z-5 to cover any scratches or swirls left over from the dealer prep or your own mistakes. Then once you are satisfied with the finish (Multiple coats of Z-5 if needed) a quick wipe down with the gloss enhancer or Z-8 and a few coats of Z2 Pro with the spray / wipe down between coats. And always finish with the wipe down again.
Exactly. You basically summarized my procedure
Old 6/8/05, 01:15 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by 6505pony@June 8, 2005, 1:55 PM
Steve, first off.....the car is AMAZING....great job

And yes, you ALWAYS use the Z5 first in as many coats until you are happy with the surface (swirls/scratches are minimal). Then use the Z2.
Old 6/8/05, 01:16 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by rrobello@June 8, 2005, 2:43 PM
here is a couple of pointers for those using the Zaino steps....

remember that the use of Dawn or dish soap is recomended for the beginning of this lenghty process because it strips everything off the car...use a car shampoo to do a normal wash after you have done all of this so that you do not need to repeat the whole process. The dish soap will strip all the wax off and you will need to start over, but since you have a couple of good coats of wax on top of these hot rides you do not need to repeat this process (the less you touch your car the better). Use any of of the great car shampoos to do your future washes....if you want to rewax to add on top and keep an awesome shine going go ahead just make sure the surface is real clean (use a cleaner wax or if really needed clay the areas that need it). Just make sure whatever shampoo you use that it has a neutral PH balance and to follow the propper shampoo to water mixture ratios on the container closely. Also to use two buckets while washing, one with the shampoo mixture and the other with clean water to rinse your wash mit or sponge in between its trips to the car, so that the dirt contaminants dont mix in the cleaning solution and get onto the car.
Also dont clay bar all the time it works great to remove surface debris but if used when its not needed it will start to work against you.

HAPPY CLEANING

Good Advice !
Old 6/8/05, 01:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thank you Dan. Yours is absolutely awesome too. Looks like we both like the red on red.

I haven't been on the boards much since I got the car but I am trying very hard to get back in the swing of things with this group. Been :drive: as much as I can.

I fell behind a bit at work hanging out here while I was waiting for her but all is good again there.

Quick Reply: ZAINO - HOW TO