Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Winter Storage :(

Search this Thread

Old 11/15/07 | 01:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RottenRonny
When you guys add the fuel stabalizer, do you add it to a full tank, or just what is left? I've always burnt most of my tank away before storrage (which will happen this weekend), and put some stabalizer in that.

Howerver, I was reading in another forum that its better to fill the car up + stabalizer so the inside of the tank doesn't rust. I guess that makes sense.

What do you guys do?
Our tanks are plastic or plastic lined, aren't they? Even so, a full tank reduces the headspace for vapors to form, which slows down degredation of the fuel.
Old 11/15/07 | 10:54 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

So if fresh oil degrades, from just sitting in the pan for 6 months ! Then perhaps it would best, to change the oil..Just before putting it away, and then again.. 6 months afterwards
Old 11/16/07 | 07:24 AM
V6 Member

After spending 16+ years up north (Chicagoland), I am PUMPED to be living in Texas. No storing the car, road grime, salt. I feel for you guys.

Last edited by Okiewan; 12/12/14 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11/16/07 | 10:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
So if fresh oil degrades, from just sitting in the pan for 6 months ! Then perhaps it would best, to change the oil..Just before putting it away, and then again.. 6 months afterwards
Thats what I do.

May be a Little ****, but I feel better doing it that way.
Old 11/16/07 | 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by k3druid
Thats what I do.

May be a Little ****, but I feel better doing it that way.
I'm with you Dave..For it's far better to be safe, than sorry..
Old 12/3/07 | 11:06 AM
Bullitt Member

k3druid, and m05fastbackGT,
What's the longest you guys would feel comfortable with leaving used oil in the car without running the vehicle? 1 week? 1 month? 3 months?
I expect winter is 4 months here. Maaaybe 5.
Since there is snow and sheeeet on the roads as of today, and my full-synthetic oil is at 4,000 miles use, I have to judge how/when to go get the oil changed. I'm not equipped to do it myself at the moment.
If I feel compelled to leave the car alone as-is, I wonder what the secondary best-plan is, if I should warm it up every week or so to operating temp or just leave it alone all winter and hope for the best. However, I will mention, I too enjoy taking it out that 1-2 times in the winter if the roads are dry and there's not too much salt. Last year was a banner year for that.
Old 12/3/07 | 02:14 PM
GT Member

i am hoping to be able to drive mine when the weather is decent during the winter and as long as most of the salt is off the roads. I have no garage to speak of all full of my husbands toys....so mine car in the drive with it's cover on. It snowed a bit yesterday and we had 40mph winds today, but the cover stayed put.
Old 12/3/07 | 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Emu Hunter
k3druid, and m05fastbackGT,
What's the longest you guys would feel comfortable with leaving used oil in the car without running the vehicle? 1 week? 1 month? 3 months?
I expect winter is 4 months here. Maaaybe 5.
Since there is snow and sheeeet on the roads as of today, and my full-synthetic oil is at 4,000 miles use, I have to judge how/when to go get the oil changed. I'm not equipped to do it myself at the moment.
If I feel compelled to leave the car alone as-is, I wonder what the secondary best-plan is, if I should warm it up every week or so to operating temp or just leave it alone all winter and hope for the best. However, I will mention, I too enjoy taking it out that 1-2 times in the winter if the roads are dry and there's not too much salt. Last year was a banner year for that.
If you plan on storing your car for the winter..The best advice is to change your oil A.S.A.P..And don't run it again, until taking it out of storage..Otherwise, you run the risk of condensation contaminating your fresh oil..The last thing you want, is for moisture to accumulate in your engine, by warming it up once a week..while sitting in storage..
Old 12/4/07 | 07:34 AM
I Have No Life

If you are storing it in a garage you should also laydown some plastic under the car. This helps prevent condensation from building up on the bottom of the car. I also drive the car onto 4 pieces of carpet. Not sure if it makes a big difference but I was told it helps to prevent cracking in the rubber that occurs when it stays in direct contact with pavement over long periods of time.
I also remove the airfilter and plug the intake with wire and a plastic bag as well as the exhaust pipes to keep mice out. They love to make nests in those areas.

As for changing the oil, that depends on how long you plan on storing it. Ever hear of the 3 months or 5,000km oil change rule? That is because even if you don't drive the car, the additives start to break down which is harmful to the engine. So thinking that your oil is still "fresh" when you go to use your car 3 months later is not a good idea. You can't just look at the dipstick anymore and check clarity. However, it also comes down to the type of oil you use. Synthetics last longer before they start to break down. I just stick with the 3 month/5k rule.
Old 12/4/07 | 09:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Phorty
I'm wondering the same thing about my '93 Cobra. Except that I only drive it 500 miles per year. I don't want to do 2 Mobil 1 oil changes each year when the car goes less than 1000 miles.
So what do you guys think? I drive my car 500 miles each year and change the oil once. Should I change it before or after storage?
Old 12/4/07 | 10:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Hey Emu hunter. Winter in good old charlton is at least 5.5 months, secondly if you are using synthetic it wont be a huge problem just run the car now and again and change it in sppring time
Old 12/4/07 | 11:07 AM
Team Mustang Source

If your using Synthetic, once a year is fine with low mileage per year driving. This was confirmed by a Royal Purple Synthetic Tech, I spoke with.
Old 12/4/07 | 11:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

For those that want to put their car in cold storage...

Old 12/4/07 | 11:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DynamicmustangGT
Hey Emu hunter. Winter in good old charlton is at least 5.5 months, secondly if you are using synthetic it wont be a huge problem just run the car now and again and change it in sppring time
LOL. I see you're familiar with the area. Yeah, I'm right in that region of Worcester County that always gets walloped by the biggest snow storms, too. Thanks everyone for the advise so far.
Old 12/4/07 | 11:52 AM
Cobra Member

I know I'm very lucky to be able to store my mustang in a heated stall at his shop for his construction company. I just put the cover on it and wait 'til the spring...I am extremely lucky for the time being...
Old 12/4/07 | 08:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Emu Hunter
LOL. I see you're familiar with the area. Yeah, I'm right in that region of Worcester County that always gets walloped by the biggest snow storms, too. Thanks everyone for the advise so far.
I went to Fitchburg state for 3 yrs. My fiancee' is from charlton. The storms at the burg were awful.