Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Winter Storage :(

Search this Thread

Old 11/10/07 | 07:31 PM
Bullitt Member

What is this "winter" you speak of? This is window down driving weather.
Old 11/10/07 | 07:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oh man......that time of year again!!!!!!!!!
Old 11/10/07 | 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by k3druid
My Son Said, that in the Spring I can scare myself again just like it's a New Car.
That's a good one!
Old 11/10/07 | 08:58 PM
Bullitt Member

So... if you change your oil but dont start up the car until winter is over..and the oil goes to the pan in a week of sitting then whats the difference from starting it once a week and starting it when winter is over? Either way isnt the oil going to be drained? Could you drain your oil. then cover it up and when winter is over put the oil into it?
Old 11/11/07 | 05:23 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mustang05
So... if you change your oil but dont start up the car until winter is over..and the oil goes to the pan in a week of sitting then whats the difference from starting it once a week and starting it when winter is over? Either way isnt the oil going to be drained? Could you drain your oil. then cover it up and when winter is over put the oil into it?
1 "dry start" in the spring is better than 1 every week IMHO... Anyway the real issue is condensation. If you start it you better warm it up and burn any moisture off. I think the oil change before storage is the most important. The fresh oil will "coat" the interior of the engine better and there won't be any water in it so there's less moisture inside the engine to let condensation form. When I first bought my car I asked my mechanic about all this, knowing he has a couple antique trucks that are stored a lot. He said "put fresh oil in it and leave it alone."

Of course then there's the fact that we're all hopelessly addicted to these cars, so seeing it in the garage all winter and not messing with it is nearly impossible...
Old 11/11/07 | 07:25 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Originally Posted by NHstang
1 "dry start" in the spring is better than 1 every week IMHO... Anyway the real issue is condensation. If you start it you better warm it up and burn any moisture off. I think the oil change before storage is the most important. The fresh oil will "coat" the interior of the engine better and there won't be any water in it so there's less moisture inside the engine to let condensation form. When I first bought my car I asked my mechanic about all this, knowing he has a couple antique trucks that are stored a lot. He said "put fresh oil in it and leave it alone."

Of course then there's the fact that we're all hopelessly addicted to these cars, so seeing it in the garage all winter and not messing with it is nearly impossible...
So if fresh oil "coats" the interior better, resulting in less moisture inside the engine to allow condensation to form..

Then what's the point in changing the oil again, just before spring.. If you leave it alone all winter
Old 11/12/07 | 04:14 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
So if fresh oil "coats" the interior better, resulting in less moisture inside the engine to allow condensation to form..

Then what's the point in changing the oil again, just before spring.. If you leave it alone all winter
I don't. I've done it about late May or so, just so the car gets a couple changes a year. Ends up being less that 2000 miles between changes for me. Some guys change the oil again in the spring. For me once in May and once in November (just before putting it away) works, since I've only driven the car about 4000 miles/year. I'm with you--I think the oil is still fine in the spring if it's fresh, especially Mobil1.
Old 11/12/07 | 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by NHstang
I don't. I've done it about late May or so, just so the car gets a couple changes a year. Ends up being less that 2000 miles between changes for me. Some guys change the oil again in the spring. For me once in May and once in November (just before putting it away) works, since I've only driven the car about 4000 miles/year. I'm with you--I think the oil is still fine in the spring if it's fresh, especially Mobil1.
Being that I use Mobil 1 extended performance, and only drive the car 5000 miles or less, per year..I wonder if it would be safe enough, to just change the oil every November, before putting it away..Or would you still recommend changing it, twice a year..
Old 11/12/07 | 08:05 PM
V6 Member

Why dont you just drive it when its dry and sunny out? Keep it out of snow and rain. There are days in the winter were its just cold but fine to drive.
Old 11/12/07 | 08:34 PM

Except for just one minor detail..There's still road salt, left over on the roads..And it usually takes a real good rainfall, before it's completely gone..

Besides, I always withdraw my car's usage status..from my insurance company, during the winter anyhow..
Old 11/13/07 | 10:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Being that I use Mobil 1 extended performance, and only drive the car 5000 miles or less, per year..I wonder if it would be safe enough, to just change the oil every November, before putting it away..Or would you still recommend changing it, twice a year..
I'm wondering the same thing about my '93 Cobra. Except that I only drive it 500 miles per year. I don't want to do 2 Mobil 1 oil changes each year when the car goes less than 1000 miles.
Old 11/13/07 | 02:57 PM
Bullitt Member

When you guys add the fuel stabalizer, do you add it to a full tank, or just what is left? I've always burnt most of my tank away before storrage (which will happen this weekend), and put some stabalizer in that.

Howerver, I was reading in another forum that its better to fill the car up + stabalizer so the inside of the tank doesn't rust. I guess that makes sense.

What do you guys do?
Old 11/13/07 | 03:25 PM
GT Member

I'm sure it would be fine. I just like to cover myself and have a record of an oil change every six months in case there's ever any question if a warranty issue comes up.
Old 11/13/07 | 03:46 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RottenRonny
When you guys add the fuel stabalizer, do you add it to a full tank, or just what is left? I've always burnt most of my tank away before storrage (which will happen this weekend), and put some stabalizer in that.

Howerver, I was reading in another forum that its better to fill the car up + stabalizer so the inside of the tank doesn't rust. I guess that makes sense.

What do you guys do?
I think it's better to fill it up. I let it go down to about 1/2 a tank, add the stabilizer and fill it up. I just think it mixes better in the tank that way.

Both the stabilizer and just having the tank full will avoid any condensation.
Old 11/13/07 | 05:29 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by lougotzz
Why dont you just drive it when its dry and sunny out? Keep it out of snow and rain. There are days in the winter were its just cold but fine to drive.
Except for just one minor detail..There's still road salt, left over on the roads..And it usually takes a real good rainfall, before it's completely gone..
In the the past 15 years of garaging cars for the winter...
Those 4 days I could take it out on the dry and salt free roads were fun.
Last winter didn't really start in our town until January 1st though.
This year it may be Friday.
Old 11/13/07 | 10:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Weather Today: 0 c, Sleet, 100 Km Winds
Old 11/13/07 | 10:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Oil degrades just sittting in the Pan for 6 Months.
Starting the Car Every Week will also add Pollutants to the Oil.

Not doing these things are not going to ruin your car, but are suggestions
that have been tried and will protect your Vehicle.
Old 11/14/07 | 02:53 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by k3druid
Oil degrades just sittting in the Pan for 6 Months.
Starting the Car Every Week will also add Pollutants to the Oil.

Not doing these things are not going to ruin your car, but are suggestions
that have been tried and will protect your Vehicle.
Agreed.
My starting the car on warm days amounts to 4 or 5 times all winter.
Enough to keep MY battery charged and spin everything around.
My month of driving in spring before changing the oil is less then 500 miles.
Old 11/14/07 | 02:59 PM
NTTAWWT

The best way to know if you need to change the oil is just to look at it. If it's not nearly clear, it might be time to change it. I usually change oil every 5000 miles. We've got a Jeep CJ that isnt driven that much, maybe 500 miles a year, just during the summer, because the heater blows, but we dont have to change the oil every winter. Just keep an eye on it.
Old 11/15/07 | 01:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Acids build up in the oil through use. I'd rather get those acids out and replace with fresh stuff for storage.

Quick Reply: Winter Storage :(