Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Why you shouldn't use a semi-permanent coating on your car.

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/14, 11:04 PM
Detailing Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcate
I always clay my customer's cars. I figure if they're bringing it to me, & they're paying me to do it right, I'm going to allow myself the time to do just that.
Amen.

Client: "I clayed it yesterday, so you don't have to."

Me: "then it shouldn't take me long to also do it."

No skipping steps.
Old 2/2/14, 11:06 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I always clay my customer's cars. I figure if they're bringing it to me, & they're paying me to do it right, I'm going to allow myself the time to do just that.
How often do you stack up on clay bars? I usually rip my bars in half and use one half for one side of the car and the other half for the otherside if necessary. Sometimes i can do a whole car on half a clay bar but id rather not especially if i can really feel stuff in the surface.

I actually had one customer ask if i did wet sanding as well but im nowhere near that level yet. Plus dont have the right tools to gauge paint/clearcoat depth so that makes it harder too. And it means compounding after wet sanding and then polish after that. Too much for a guy like me for now. Maybe when i open my own shop ill do it. Fix em up and deliver them to you looking showroom new!
Old 2/3/14, 06:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CCTking
How often do you stack up on clay bars? I usually rip my bars in half and use one half for one side of the car and the other half for the otherside if necessary. Sometimes i can do a whole car on half a clay bar but id rather not especially if i can really feel stuff in the surface.

I actually had one customer ask if i did wet sanding as well but im nowhere near that level yet. Plus dont have the right tools to gauge paint/clearcoat depth so that makes it harder too. And it means compounding after wet sanding and then polish after that. Too much for a guy like me for now. Maybe when i open my own shop ill do it. Fix em up and deliver them to you looking showroom new!
Like you, I haven't had any training on wet sanding (or high speed buffing) so I won't try either. I don't own a shop or anything, I just do cars for people as they call. Word of mouth, or people who see me detailing in my driveway. I do what I can with my D/A. If the car needs more than that I tell them up front.
As for stocking up on clay, I just buy them as needed. How much use I get per bar is totally dependant on the condition of the cars I do. I've done cars that trashed an entire Mothers clay bar set. When I'm doing my own cars the clay tends to last a LOT longer!
Old 2/3/14, 07:25 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcHarris
Amen. Client: "I clayed it yesterday, so you don't have to." Me: "then it shouldn't take me long to also do it." No skipping steps.
I agree Marc. There were two schools of thought here. One to skip and one to just do it anyway. My stance is that I'm doing it anyway, but not for free. It's part of the detail and if they absolutely refuse than they get to take their car somewhere else. In the case that you don't want to turn down business, at least let then know, which it sounds like you guys do.
Old 2/3/14, 07:41 AM
FR500 Member

I remember a guy had all the necessary supplies including a steamer and even a wall mounted metro vac-n-blow. He admitted to just being too lazy. Since he had everything needed to make the car look assembly line fresh i only took a little money from him. I think it was like 40 bucks for around 4 hours just gettin every nook and cranny.

Longest and priciest job ive had though was 195 (guy just gave me 200) was his Lamborghini gallardo superlegerra. Reason so much was because, well, he was stinkin rich! Reason it was the longest (5 hours 45 min) is because it was my first exotic to detail. I dont wanna dive into the specifics but lets just say hes a monthly customer now, he drives it back and forth between here and houston alot. And its definitely not stock. Hvnt heard from him since new years though /:
Old 2/3/14, 07:54 AM
Cobra Member

I remember a guy had all the necessary supplies including a steamer and even a wall mounted metro vac-n-blow. He admitted to just being too lazy. Since he had everything needed to make the car look assembly line fresh i only took a little money from him. I think it was like 40 bucks for around 4 hours just gettin every nook and cranny. Longest and priciest job ive had though was 195 (guy just gave me 200) was his Lamborghini gallardo superlegerra. Reason so much was because, well, he was stinkin rich! Reason it was the longest (5 hours 45 min) is because it was my first exotic to detail. I dont wanna dive into the specifics but lets just say hes a monthly customer now, he drives it back and forth between here and houston alot. And its definitely not stock. Hvnt heard from him since new years though /:
Wowzers. Your rates are a steal! Wanna do mine? FYI, not sure to what extent you are detailing here but $195 sounds very low. Unless it was just for a wash and dry, lol.
Old 2/3/14, 07:59 AM
Detailing Guru

Part Three is out!
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...s-part-3-of-4/
Old 2/3/14, 08:00 AM
FR500 Member

Thats how i attract soo many customers that always come back for more. I wash, clay, polish, wax or sealant or both, do i terior vacuum, clean, and protect, and even tires and wheels. Sometimes ill add on the engine bay as well.

The Carisma detailing place charges out the wazoo and theres only one other mobile detailer in town that i know of. He rides in an 08 charger with big decals on the sodes of the car and rear glass and even has a led light bar mounted on the roof.
Theres really not much in the way of competition here so i dont need the super rates. I average 80-150 for most jobs. Some just a wash, wax, and interior work. Others want to look brand new for a show. Heck i went to a local car show the other night and went home with 1k in my pocket! Alot of guys there had some decently clean cars but it just didnt meet the shine everyone else had so i showed up on scene and started with an 03 mach 1 mustang. Then a guy with an evo, then a civic dx hatchback, a bently, two camaros, a brand new c7 vette, and an audi r8 twin turbo
Old 2/3/14, 08:22 AM
Cobra Member

I get that you provide a great value and that attracts customers. But you're going to kill yourself. I guess though since it isn't your primary job that makes for nice pocket money.
Old 2/3/14, 08:34 AM
Detailing Guru

Highly discounting your hard work can send the wrong message in many ways. For one, anyone you're attracting with low prices will also leave over pricing. These aren't people that value your work so much as your price.
Additionally, as you gain experience and get to know how to work more efficiently/better, you're making less and less money. Your pricing needs to adjust to who you are and what you do.
Old 2/3/14, 09:27 AM
FR500 Member

Well it really is just for pocket money and usually when i try listing prices above 100 for the "basics" i rarely get any interest. The main reason why i price so low is i attract more volume. Ive actually experimented.

With my average pricing ranging 80-150 in one week i brought in about 1500 dollars all in my pocket.

When i put my average pricing to 100 (even 120) up to 200 i only brought in about 600-700 dollars. Very few people were interesred.

And this was two weeks following each other. I stay mobile and meet at the customers convenience and meet at a safe location, usually residential area. The low pricing again brings more volume and i still offer great quality service and results which keeps folks coming back.

I do agree however as i get closer to the "professional" status the price does need to go up, but i wont do so drastically or quickly. But seeing as im only an amatuer with very basic tools at my disposal the prices work for me and its all pocket money
Old 2/3/14, 10:25 AM
Cobra Member

Well it really is just for pocket money and usually when i try listing prices above 100 for the "basics" i rarely get any interest. The main reason why i price so low is i attract more volume. Ive actually experimented. With my average pricing ranging 80-150 in one week i brought in about 1500 dollars all in my pocket. When i put my average pricing to 100 (even 120) up to 200 i only brought in about 600-700 dollars. Very few people were interesred. And this was two weeks following each other. I stay mobile and meet at the customers convenience and meet at a safe location, usually residential area. The low pricing again brings more volume and i still offer great quality service and results which keeps folks coming back. I do agree however as i get closer to the "professional" status the price does need to go up, but i wont do so drastically or quickly. But seeing as im only an amatuer with very basic tools at my disposal the prices work for me and its all pocket money
Marc is giving you purely his well seasoned prospective from doing this as a living. And not that he can't but my comments are similar but with the understanding that this is a side job for you.

I want to make sure you get the right message. I 100% agree with Marc's business sense. But I understand that for you, being cheap now works.

But when you get more into it, you'll want a customer base that comes for the quality over the cost. Despite the fact that now you DO provide quality and low prices and have return customers, they return because you meet or exceed their low expectations for cheap compared to the next guy. Those are not long term clients.

Again it seems you get this concept so I won't beat a dead horse. Lol

Last edited by typesredline; 2/3/14 at 10:26 AM.
Old 2/3/14, 10:59 AM
FR500 Member

Haha dont get me wrong i really value your guys opinions and thoughts and to have Marc here givinf business advice is a great thing!
Once i make this more of a profession is when ill be really serious. Maybe ill even be contacting Marc to work under his wing, who knows? But for down here the amount of interest really coincides with the pricing and i have to market with the market so to speak.

Im not blowing off your guys words though believe me im taking notes. Just with the current season, interest to price ratio, and clientele always changing it can get difficult. Once spring and summer roll around though ill be getting penty hits and prices will rise depending on the client and their needs.

Thanks guys!

Oh btw if theres any products you guys recommend for anything please let me know. What i have is tried and true but its always good to bring something new. Keeps it fresh
Old 2/3/14, 12:29 PM
Bullitt Member

So we now have a case against semi permanent coatings, a case against wax, AND a case against sealants! I can't wait to see what part 4 is! lol
Old 2/3/14, 12:49 PM
FR500 Member

So we now have a case against semi permanent coatings, a case against wax, AND a case against sealants! I can't wait to see what part 4 is! lol
Part 4 is a case against washing with soap. Its all about bleach and vinegar!
Old 2/3/14, 01:03 PM
Bullitt Member

I hope it's not recommended that we just keep our cars in a pressurized bubble & not drive them at all!
Old 2/3/14, 01:16 PM
FR500 Member

I hope it's not recommended that we just keep our cars in a pressurized bubble & not drive them at all!
How bout a pressurized bubble but it doubles as a simulator. You can have your own nurburgring if you so choose! Or a pressurized bubble that forms around the car leaving only the minimal amount of tread showing so you can actually drive it!
Old 2/3/14, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I actually know what he's saying about bird poo & sealant. The trunk lid of my tuxedo black Fusion got bombed last year. I've rubbed & rubbed, & I can't get it out. I'm afraid to rub more for fear of getting into the clear coat.
Old 2/3/14, 05:11 PM
Detailing Guru

CCT: Right on man. I'm glad you're figuring things out and trying various things to see what works best for you. That's the key.

mcate: that's right. Hopefully this will really get you and anyone else to really think critically before you take the advice of anyone (to include me!). Everyone has their opinions and reasons for them. Figure out what is best for you and trust your gut!
Old 2/3/14, 07:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MarcHarris
Figure out what is best for you and trust your gut!
I'm a longtime Poorboy's user, however I like to experiment with other products. I tried Wolfgang last summer. I was happy with the finish, although the more cars I did, the more I felt like I couldn't really see that it was any better than Poorboy's. (Plus I felt like it made my car a dust magnet) Thinking about trying Blackfire next, & maybe some Dodo Juice products. Somehow, I have a feeling I'll always end up coming back to Poorboy's!

Quick Reply: Why you shouldn't use a semi-permanent coating on your car.