Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Waxing - How many times?

Search this Thread

Old 3/18/13, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wax the whole car once a year. But I wax the top surfaces that get more contaminates and sun exposure (hood, roof, trunk) approximately every four months. And, of course, I wax my car when it's new much more than after I've owned it for a while. Sad, but true.
Old 3/19/13, 05:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Every month or every other week. I personally believe you should go about ever month to 3 months.
Old 4/6/13, 07:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by paulw
I wax the whole car once a year. But I wax the top surfaces that get more contaminates and sun exposure (hood, roof, trunk) approximately every four months. And, of course, I wax my car when it's new much more than after I've owned it for a while. Sad, but true.
****. Once a year? I clay bar, polish every quarter. I wash and wax every two weeks. I live in the 120 degree Phoenix heat so I go overkill.
Old 4/6/13, 07:03 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Thamac15

****. Once a year? I clay bar, polish every quarter. I wash and wax every two weeks. I live in the 120 degree Phoenix heat so I go overkill.
You wax it 24 times a year...yeah, that's nutty
Old 4/6/13, 07:18 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
You wax it 24 times a year...yeah, that's nutty
I used to live in Avondale/Phoenix up until about 2 years ago....Trust me the more you can wax your car the better especially in that climate...
Old 4/6/13, 07:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Muscle-Car-Memories

I used to live in Avondale/Phoenix up until about 2 years ago....Trust me the more you can wax your car the better especially in that climate...
Exactly.
Old 4/6/13, 07:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Muscle-Car-Memories

Originally Posted by Thamac15

Exactly.
It sounds crazy, but I've never lived there. Once every 6 months for me.
Old 4/6/13, 08:04 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,235 Posts
Originally Posted by DaGonz
When I detail someone's vehicle, I always get asked "how long will the wax be good for"?
This is a question that cannot be answered, as there are far too many variables, such as..
Urban, suburban or rural environment
Garaged or not
Frequency and method of washing and materials used
Temperature extremes.
Great answer. Those variables are very important.
I only use polish, never wax as the car is only out once in a while and never out when it rains or wet pavement. Always garaged. She gets a full quick detail about every 2 weeks or so. She is new, so no need to clay or any of that. (Although, many do clay their new cars and it doesn't hurt.)
Nothing but the Zaino for me. Zaino Z2 for the polish, the Z8 detail spray and the Zaino Z16 for tire shine. Will not sling off and looks killer.
ALWAYS use microfiber towels to dry your car and when detailing. (They cut down on the swirls and marring on your paint/clear coat.) Not the cheap ones from Walmart or Autozone either.
Old 4/7/13, 09:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The question is not how many coats of wax or how often. The question is what do you do to prep for waxing. After going to a detailing demo I learned a few things. It is more in the prep than the waxing itself. Waxing with no prep you just wax over dirt an oxidation. I have a 2012 GTCS white and I made it shine like you would not believe. you would not think it was dirty at that age but it was.
after washing you want to wet paint clay bar your finish to get off harder road grime. paint clay bar and a speed shine works best. Then you want to take polish to it. The grit of the polish will depend on the paint. I only used a fine polish being a newer car. You would be amazed at the dirty I pulled out of the paint. I then did two coats of Premium Carnuba. After that maintain it by used a car wash the does not strip wax and follow up with a spray on wax then dry. It will last a lot longer that way. I myself use Griots products which you can get online. there are many other good products out there also. Below is what prep, polish and wax looks like
Attached Thumbnails Waxing - How many times?-groits-car.jpg   Waxing - How many times?-griots-car2.jpg   Waxing - How many times?-detail-2013.jpg  

Last edited by BRADGTCS; 4/7/13 at 09:26 AM. Reason: corrected auto correct spellin word change
Old 4/7/13, 04:29 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Good job Brad. That does look good. It is hard sometimes to make a white car "pop", but yours looks great!
Old 4/7/13, 04:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My body paid for it LOL
Old 4/7/13, 04:58 PM
FR500 Member

Heres a few of my white sixxer. Once or teice a month depending on the weather i polish, seal, then wax the paint. A wash is a weekly thing. I re-do the paint sealant every three months. Clay bars and some quality MF (MicroFiber) are my best friends when doing a proper detail.
A couple pics are edited but they were for my photo portfolio
Attached Thumbnails Waxing - How many times?-image-3853790905.jpg   Waxing - How many times?-image-3113693390.jpg   Waxing - How many times?-image-1321409875.jpg   Waxing - How many times?-image-1812493749.jpg   Waxing - How many times?-image-1240695878.jpg  

Old 4/7/13, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CCTking
Heres a few of my white sixxer. Once or teice a month depending on the weather i polish, seal, then wax the paint. A wash is a weekly thing. I re-do the paint sealant every three months. Clay bars and some quality MF (MicroFiber) are my best friends when doing a proper detail.
A couple pics are edited but they were for my photo portfolio
Hey...hey...you left your parking lights on.
Old 4/7/13, 05:57 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by BRADGTCS
My body paid for it LOL
Yeah, I bet. I know your pain.
Old 4/7/13, 07:03 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

Hey...hey...you left your parking lights on.
Hey...hey... I know
Old 4/10/13, 09:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcHarris
Chances are that's not nearly enough depending on use, color, and wash frequency.
I do mine 2-3x per year and it's my DD. Done that with all my cars for years and seems to work fine, even when I used to have park outside or in a carport all year long.

All this 2x per month stuff some of you guys do, I gotta admire your dedication but I'd rather be spending that time driving...not detailing
Old 4/10/13, 09:31 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde

I do mine 2-3x per year and it's my DD. Done that with all my cars for years and seems to work fine, even when I used to have park outside or in a carport all year long.

All this 2x per month stuff some of you guys do, I gotta admire your dedication but I'd rather be spending that time driving...not detailing
Well mines a DD as well but i detailed and maintained my 02 when i bought it off a used car lot. Paint was pretty good condition and it was black. Paid 10k in full. When it was totaled, the quality of the finish of both interior and exterior actually added to the value and i got 11.5k for the wrecked car.

Ever since then ive been an avid detailer not only protecting my vehicle but also protecting its value. I did a full detail on my dads truck and it seriously looks better than the day we got it off the lot in 05 brand new.

Plus i cant afford to be driving that much! Gas is just gettin to expensive for me
Old 4/12/13, 02:24 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I Was at a car care seminar last Saturday. One good coat of wax of a good type of wax should last 10 months.. if you use a speed shine that does not strip wax it should last a year. To much wax can cause issues also. The longevity of a wax will also depend on how you wash your car and with what.
This! I find I have to wax my car from every month to couple months depending on the frequency of car washes and whatever brand of wax I try.
Old 4/12/13, 07:44 PM
V6 Member

The question is not how many coats of wax or how often. The question is what do you do to prep for waxing. After going to a detailing demo I learned a few things. It is more in the prep than the waxing itself. Waxing with no prep you just wax over dirt an oxidation. I have a 2012 GTCS white and I made it shine like you would not believe. you would not think it was dirty at that age but it was.
after washing you want to wet paint clay bar your finish to get off harder road grime. paint clay bar and a speed shine works best. Then you want to take polish to it. The grit of the polish will depend on the paint. I only used a fine polish being a newer car. You would be amazed at the dirty I pulled out of the paint. I then did two coats of Premium Carnuba. After that maintain it by used a car wash the does not strip wax and follow up with a spray on wax then dry. It will last a lot longer that way. I myself use Griots products which you can get online. there are many other good products out there also. Below is what prep, polish and wax looks like
This is the absolute truth. Proper prep work is far more important than which wax/sealant you use.
Old 4/20/13, 03:26 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I first really got into detailing my cars I had just purchased this CPO Bimmer below.

I used Meg's clay/glaze/wax to get that shine. I have been experimenting with different things since 2010 and have worked out the schedule given my driving regiment. DD for me and parked outside most of the time. I used to get so pissed when I would drop the Bimmer off at the dealership and specifically put a sticky note on the steering wheel saying to NOT wash my car/vacume only and then go to pick it up and have swirl marks all over my clean paint.

Clay/wax once a month
Strip/clay/glaze/wax once QTR but I put two coats of wax on. The 1st is a synthetic and the second is a natural carnauba to get the depth I want.

I use a PC 2400 series DA buffer and Meg's pads. Here's the Mistress after the first time I cleaned her up.