Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Waxing - How many times?

Search this Thread

Old 1/12/13, 04:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Waxing - How many times?

ok, so instead of going thru the threads and finding the actual answer i want, ill just ask it here.

i finished with clay, cleaner and polish...i waxed the car, but i have multitudes of advice on how many coats of wax i should put on....
one guy says one coat should do it...another told me 2 coats min and then another coat every 2 to 3 weeks.....
another does his once every week and so on and so on....
is there any claim to either of these? is there a wrong way or right way?

ive only waxed my car maybe 3 times the whole year. been doing that since 2001. the car sits in the garage from oct to march also.

thoughts?
thanks
Old 1/12/13, 05:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I prefer two coats of LSP, I find that I get more even coverage that way to make sure I don't miss a spot anywhere and on my silver car it takes that extra layer of wax to really get the paint to pop.

Be aware that some products have a curing time before a second coat can be applied. Waxes generally don't to my knowledge, but many sealants do.

As for how often to wax, I try to do a quick detail meaning glaze-sealant-wax plus interior/engine stuff every six weeks or so, especially in the summer, and do a full detail with clay and everything twice a year or so.
Old 1/12/13, 05:24 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Collinite 845

Last edited by Getportfolio; 1/12/13 at 05:26 PM.
Old 1/12/13, 05:47 PM
GT Member

Everybody has their preferences, I wax atleast once a month usually twice. It's black and a daily driver so it's like a part timejob to keep it looking good.
Old 1/12/13, 06:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
once every 6 months and clay bar once a year. Of course I use this stuff to clean my car.
http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-water...ncentrate.html
Old 1/12/13, 08:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
once every 6 months and clay bar once a year. Of course I use this stuff to clean my car.
http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-water...ncentrate.html
I do the same and use Maguiar's quick wax once a month in between.
Old 1/12/13, 10:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Two coats of wax, every month.
Old 1/13/13, 07:03 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,063 Likes on 666 Posts
Sitting in the garage unused requires just the one coat until you drive it again. The rest of the year depends on how much rain/sun you expose to your Mustang and how often you need to wash it. I can go just one month before waxing again if frequent washing is necessary. If I infrequently drive, and only in nice weather, I will go as long as 4 months with just detailer used after each wash. When I say 'wash' I am talking about my own washing, not a commercial place. That would require more frequent waxing with all those high pressure streams, brushes, etc....
Every person uses their Mustang in their own unique way, from DD use with no garage, to trailer queen with climate controlled garage. You have to decide where you fit in to these extremes. As far as how many coats, I just do the one final coat until it is needed again. I love the Mother's 100% carnauba wax for all my cars and it doesn't break the bank (around $10).
Old 1/13/13, 07:17 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wax my mustang twice a month usually, except during winter, because it hibernates in the garage.
Old 1/14/13, 05:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
thanks all for the answers...
i put one coat on and working on another coat. the car will sit till march or april depending on my schedule then ill have it out when warmer weather comes...
ill try and keep up with a coat of wax every month thru the summer.
Old 1/23/13, 04:16 PM
V6 Member

My general rule of thumb is apply sealant once a season. Meaning every 3 months. I also never wax without a clay. I'll usually do 2 coats of LSP and will follow up with a quick wax like megs at every wash.

But There are always variables...
Are you using a carnuba or a sealant
A beauty wax or a protection wax.
Climate, temps, rainfall, parked outside, driving habits, etc.

So use your best judgement.

Last edited by hawgs74; 1/23/13 at 04:20 PM.
Old 1/23/13, 07:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I detail the Mustang before each car show. I use Meguiar's #21 synthetic sealant on my Mustang, I do a panel or two after every wash as a maintenance regimen.

Last edited by DaGonz; 3/13/13 at 09:31 PM.
Old 1/24/13, 07:15 AM
Detailing Guru

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
Sitting in the garage unused requires just the one coat until you drive it again. The rest of the year depends on how much rain/sun you expose to your Mustang and how often you need to wash it. I can go just one month before waxing again if frequent washing is necessary. If I infrequently drive, and only in nice weather, I will go as long as 4 months with just detailer used after each wash. When I say 'wash' I am talking about my own washing, not a commercial place. That would require more frequent waxing with all those high pressure streams, brushes, etc....
Every person uses their Mustang in their own unique way, from DD use with no garage, to trailer queen with climate controlled garage. You have to decide where you fit in to these extremes. As far as how many coats, I just do the one final coat until it is needed again. I love the Mother's 100% carnauba wax for all my cars and it doesn't break the bank (around $10).
Great answer / response.
Old 3/12/13, 08:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Reading this makes me think I need to wax my mustang more
Old 3/12/13, 09:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I Was at a car care seminar last Saturday. One good coat of wax of a good type of wax should last 10 months.. if you use a speed shine that does not strip wax it should last a year. To much wax can cause issues also. The longevity of a wax will also depend on how you wash your car and with what.
Old 3/12/13, 09:17 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wax it once a year sometimes twice and that's it.
Old 3/12/13, 11:08 PM
Detailing Guru

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
I wax it once a year sometimes twice and that's it.
Chances are that's not nearly enough depending on use, color, and wash frequency.
Old 3/12/13, 11:52 PM
FR500 Member

I usually do a full detail once a month. The weaher in corpus is always changing so my car kinda takes a beating from the elements. I strip the old layers off and polish, seal, then wax. I know its a bit much but im a bit ocd when it comes to my car
Old 3/13/13, 09:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I detail someone's vehicle, I always get asked "how long will the wax be good for"?
This is a question that cannot be answered, as there are far too many variables, such as..

Urban, suburban or rural environment
Garaged or not
Frequency and method of washing and materials used
Temperature extremes.
Old 3/13/13, 11:09 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by DaGonz
When I detail someone's vehicle, I always get asked "how long will the wax be good for"?
This is a question that cannot be answered, as there are far too many variables, such as..

Urban, suburban or rural environment
Garaged or not
Frequency and method of washing and materials used
Temperature extremes.
Yea its always a tough question. I ask them about wht the car normally goes through daily and then i tell them a rough estimate.

Quick Reply: Waxing - How many times?