Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Waxing Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/05, 10:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zymol stinks :notnice: :notnice: :notnice:
Old 6/17/05, 10:06 AM
V6 Member

Also I did use new clean cotton towel with no softner in them. I wash them all by themselves in hot water. I did have some new microfiber towels (washed) and they did not help either until I sprayed on some detailer. We have had an unusually wet spring here and I'm wondering if that is doing it. Maybe I'm not letting it dry enough before removing. I have never had this trouble before and have waxed many vehicles. Yes I'm a "girl" but a clean shiny car has always been in my nature.
Old 6/17/05, 10:09 AM
V6 Member

One more thing. You know how the dust "clings" to your car right after waxing? Does the Zainos do that too? I have to drive on gravel for 12 miles before I hit the highway so I just hate to wash and wax the baby and then have a dusty car right away
Old 6/17/05, 10:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by whtmule@June 17, 2005, 8:00 AM
Turtle Wax (don't hit me) F something or other. I washed the car. Put it in the garage. Put the wax on and let it dry while I cleaned the inside. Maybe 45 minutes. It was hazy when I started trying to take it off.

I live on a gravel road and we've had mud so much that I really thought even tho my Zaino had not come yet, I should put a coat of something on the car.
Was this an old can of paste wax by chance?

The first coat of wax I put on my stang was some Meguires professional yellow carnuba. I've been using it for years (literally). The last couple times I used it, it took a loooooooong time to dry and was very difficult to get off. I had also used the Meguires #20 polymer sealant in the past and decided to try the the NXT stuff. What a difference! It comes off easier than it goes on and dries very quickly. Proabably took 1/4 the time using the old paste did. You might want to pick up a clay bar kit and go over the car before you do the Zaino thing just to make sure you've got it cleaned up.
Old 6/17/05, 10:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by whtmule@June 17, 2005, 9:12 AM
One more thing. You know how the dust "clings" to your car right after waxing? Does the Zainos do that too? I have to drive on gravel for 12 miles before I hit the highway so I just hate to wash and wax the baby and then have a dusty car right away
I use Zaino and live on a gravel road too. IMHO . . . NOTHING will help with dust accumulation for a 12 mile trip down a gravel road . Carry a leaf blower in the trunk and use it to dust it off when you hit the pavement or once on the highway, get to 140 mph as soon as possible
Old 6/17/05, 10:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Interesting how many different methods people use to remove excess wax in places it shouldn't be. Here's another new one: I use q-tips to get excess wax. They are soft and have absolutely no hard plastic anywhere that might scratch and they stink up wax!

I wonder if perhaps there was something still on the clearcoat that may have caused the oily film after applying the wax? I know the first time I waxed my car I noticed some anomolies on the paint (nothing major). Next time I'll use a combination of claybar and Meguiar's Scratch X before I wax next time.
Old 6/17/05, 11:28 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by whtmule@June 17, 2005, 10:05 AM
I can't get Mother's around here. I used Carnuba wax once and had the same problem. How long should you let it dry before removing. Is overnight too long in a garage? We normally have about 60% humidity here in my area cool nights of about 40 degrees.

gosh no...just 10 mins or so and then a clean terry cloth COTTON towel. the mistake that most people make, myself included years back, with the wax is using way too much. once the paint has been cleaned (you can tell it's ready for wax by running your finger over the paint, it will be super smooth, no resistance what so ever) apply a few drops, literally, for one side of the roof, for example. once the entire car is waxed, go back and buff the first section you applied wax to.

the most important step, is the glaze (step 2)...this stuff will make the paint POP. usually, one application of the glaze will be sufficient. check out how smooth the paint is after the glaze application versus before it's applied. if you hadn't put the polymer stuff or whatever you used on the car, you probably wouldn't even need the 2nd step. if the paint is smooth to the touch and new paint should be, then a light coat of the wax will suffice. and if you get the right stuff, just the wax and no cleaner added (they make a one step that i wouldn't recommend), then you can go back and apply as many coats of the wax as you like. just don't over do it with the wax...a little goes a long way with carnauba.

i order my mothers through the internet or phone directly from mothers, you can't always get the 3 steps in the stores...lots of time they sell the wax/cleaner bottle which is a no-no imo.

you should be able to 2 step the entire car in about an hour..both applications and
buffings. jackg 90seville 97k
Old 6/17/05, 01:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by RMac@June 17, 2005, 9:22 AM
Used Zaino and let it cure for an hour before removing (funny what happens when you follow the instructions too!)...

what's an oily film? Not familiar with that
I am sure you would need a more simplistic resource to clean ur vehicle..Zaino works and lasts period, its the best of the best, thats it discussion over..LOL.