Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Washing/Waxing Black GT

Search this Thread

Old 10/2/05, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I now have an '06 Black GT on order, I am prepping myself on how I'm going to care for this beauty. I've been using Zymol products up to now but have heard a lot about Zaino and others, so I'm interetsed in learning of anyone's washing/waxing techniques or products that will prevent this GT fron turning into a swirl nightmare :bang:
Old 10/2/05, 06:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by profitline@October 2, 2005, 8:52 PM
As I now have an '06 Black GT on order, I am prepping myself on how I'm going to care for this beauty. I've been using Zymol products up to now but have heard a lot about Zaino and others, so I'm interetsed in learning of anyone's washing/waxing techniques or products that will prevent this GT fron turning into a swirl nightmare :bang:
Bought my Black GT back in Jan (one of the first). I did not have many swirls from the dealer. I use products from Grouts Garage, soap, wax and try a clay bar. Also use thier speed shine, chrome cleaner, etc.. all good stuff. I think everyone is in agreement that the paint job on the Mustangs are not of the highest quality. I'm thinking about a clear coat. Post some pic when you get it cleaned and waxed....
Old 10/2/05, 07:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
Funny you mention Xymol - because that is what went on our black GT vert the first week. See the pics in the Gallery (in my sig) for the results.

Swirls are minute scratches in the clearcoat. I rinse, rinse, rinse and rinse some more before I touch the surface of the car. I wash in straight lines. I use the Mr. Clean system for the easier drying, and finish drying (gently, in straight lines) with a chamois.

That said, black is heck. I know sooner or later I will have to cave in and use a polish regimen like Zaino or an equivalent. But for right now, the simple routine listed above is getting the job done rather nicely!

And if you haven't tried Rain-X on your glass, try it! My tip for best results - apply Rain-X twice before finishing. When you go to polish it off, mist it with water first and polish it off with newspaper. My glass has never looked so good. And it is easier on your wiper blades, because the glass surface is so smooth and clean. Not that you need your wipers much with Rain-X!
Old 10/2/05, 07:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy the Zaino Show Car Kit (about $120). Go through the whole system immediately after you get your car (wash with dish soap, claybar, Zaino soap, then multiple coats of Z2 and Z5 with Z6 spray in between). Takes 8-12 hours, and you'll do that once per year. Hand wash with 100% cotton towels (made in USA only) and Zaino soap and Z6 gloss spray after drying. You will have some minor swirl marks at the end of the year, but really nothing to speak of. Once you do the entire system again, they'll all go away.

I've owned several black cars, and they all had swirl marks. The Mustang had a ton of them when I picked it up from the dealer :bang: . One system of Zaino and it's like deep glass. Buy the kit or live with swirlmarks for the rest of the life of your car.

Look at their website as well. TONS of info there about how and why you should follow certain procedures. Great stuff!

Sean
Old 10/2/05, 08:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey profitline,
I've gotten a lot of from this web site. They have a lot of great tips on there.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html
Old 10/3/05, 09:44 AM

I was wondering for those who don't have a Mr. Clean system or something like what is safer for washing a wool wash mit or a sponge or a rag.
Old 10/5/05, 01:36 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by SwatskeGT@October 3, 2005, 9:47 AM
I was wondering for those who don't have a Mr. Clean system or something like what is safer for washing a wool wash mit or a sponge or a rag.
Use a sheepskin wash mit. Keep a seperate bucket of just water and rinse it out frequently when washing to prevent swirling.