Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Wash Frequency

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/05, 08:58 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I only give the car a quick polish once a year to get rid of any fine scratches.
Old 6/14/05, 09:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wash mine at least once a week, but sometimes shes so dusty I have to give her a quick spray down and wipe.

Old 6/15/05, 12:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by southern_stang_girlee@June 14, 2005, 9:04 AM
I wash mine at least once a week, but sometimes shes so dusty I have to give her a quick spray down and wipe.

Same here... Heck after I finished washing & waxing the last time the car was already covered with various pieces of pollen, dust, and bugs. I'm surprised how much dirt the Mineral Gray actually shows. I knew it would show but not that much!

I usually plan my washes with the weather report. I have a hard time justifying a was the day before a rain storm. Out here in the northwest there are times were I have to wash in a brief break from the rain or it would be months before she got a bath!
Old 6/15/05, 01:55 PM
FR500 Member

Definitely not a good idea to not wash your car and just spray some quick detail spray and wipe. That's just spreading the dirt and microscopic peices of glass and rocks into your paint. That's the lazyman's way of washing a car. I will rarely use some quick detail spray if there is a bug on my car or something like that. But before I start wiping the car, I give it a really good hose down with a fairly high pressure hose. That gets everything off before I start running a mit or rag over the paint.
Old 6/15/05, 09:04 PM
Cobra Member

Badandy and acadian

I know you both missed my posts point. Sorry if I miss lead you, but thanks for your concern. The GT is over seven months old and has only 375 miles. It is covered and garaged 98% of it life (I know that part is very sad.) It never sees rain or wet roads. And is dusted off every few hours at a show as needed and always before the cover is placed on it. The microfiber towels do their job and I use them lightly. The detailer is just another protection and bug remover as needed.

A California Duster is bad to use. I don't believe that the dirtier it gets the better it cleans. Now that will cause swirl marks.

There is only dust that could be blown off if that was fesible. Not the nulllified on dust or dirt that would quire agitation to remove, as in washing with water and a detergent. As in daily driveing.

****, is the word to use for me its my middle name. Most likely you'd have to see the car in person to understand fully. I do understand where you guys are coming from and yes what you are doing is completely correct for your situations. As long as this GT is in my care it will not befriend a water hose. All that would do to our GT wash dust into areas that can not be cleaned. It may see a sprinkle of rain parked at a show. But it will be dust free just mintues before. And microfiber dryed just after. For me its a game to be played and I play it very well.

There are no swirl marks to speak of. I would love for anyone here to see both my Mustangs in person, not a Photograph on a website. They all look good in pictures.

Would your undercarriage be just as clean as it is on topside? Inside the fascias? The engine bay and wheel barrels? Do you remove lights just to clean the dust behind them? See thats my game. At least their not inclosed Trailer Queens. Maybe someday. LOL. But that would be the only way they go any distance.
Old 6/16/05, 10:16 AM
FR500 Member

Is it too late to take back what I said, Bruce? And I thought I was ****. Well, my apologies...
Old 6/16/05, 11:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Badsnke98@June 15, 2005, 11:07 PM
Badandy and acadian
I know you both missed my posts point. Sorry if I miss lead you, but thanks for your concern. The GT is over seven months old and has only 375 miles. It is covered and garaged 98% of it life (I know that part is very sad.) It never sees rain or wet roads. And is dusted off every few hours at a show as needed and always before the cover is placed on it. The microfiber towels do their job and I use them lightly. The detailer is just another protection and bug remover as needed.

A California Duster is bad to use. I don't believe that the dirtier it gets the better it cleans. Now that will cause swirl marks.

There is only dust that could be blown off if that was fesible. Not the nulllified on dust or dirt that would quire agitation to remove, as in washing with water and a detergent. As in daily driveing.

****, is the word to use for me its my middle name. Most likely you'd have to see the car in person to understand fully. I do understand where you guys are coming from and yes what you are doing is completely correct for your situations. As long as this GT is in my care it will not befriend a water hose. All that would do to our GT wash dust into areas that can not be cleaned. It may see a sprinkle of rain parked at a show. But it will be dust free just mintues before. And microfiber dryed just after. For me its a game to be played and I play it very well.

There are no swirl marks to speak of. I would love for anyone here to see both my Mustangs in person, not a Photograph on a website. They all look good in pictures.

Would your undercarriage be just as clean as it is on topside? Inside the fascias? The engine bay and wheel barrels? Do you remove lights just to clean the dust behind them? See thats my game. At least their not inclosed Trailer Queens. Maybe someday. LOL. But that would be the only way they go any distance.
I only use my duster when the car has been sitting inside the garage. After its driven, I'll wash it.

I have never had a problem with it at all on either of my Mustangs. The duster is always vigorousley shaken before use and store in its case with a plastic bag wrapped around that for good measure. When I do dust I ever so slightly touch the surface of the paint.

Just my way

You have an interesting way too What kind of cover do you use?
Old 6/16/05, 06:47 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@June 16, 2005, 1:59 PM
I only use my duster when the car has been sitting inside the garage. After its driven, I'll wash it.

I have never had a problem with it at all on either of my Mustangs. The duster is always vigorousley shaken before use and store in its case with a plastic bag wrapped around that for good measure. When I do dust I ever so slightly touch the surface of the paint.

Just my way

You have an interesting way too What kind of cover do you use?

I never liked it on my White Cobra. I even have two, one for upper and front fascia. And the older one for the lower and rear. (the brake dust areas) Even with the older one washed out and rewaxed it will leave dark streaks in a short time.

Thats not going to show on your Black. But its still there. Try detailing with a light color microfiber towel after the duster and see what you get.

Covers are from California Car Cover. Their the "Stormweave" in gray. Very nice to foldup and no wrinkles when unfolded.
Old 6/26/05, 05:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Lots of great tips here.

I have been cleaning and detailing for better than 30 years.

Started out doing my set of matchboxes and hotwheels cars.

Then my bikes and my buddies bikes for $5.

A few tricks that I have learned along the way.

I will say that finishes have changed dramatically over the years and for the most part, better, making things much easier.

1) The single most important thing you can do is prep the surface before washing. Like painting, the surface needs to be as debris free as possible before you start rubbing on it. I spend at least ten minutes rinsing the car down from top to bottom. When you think it's clean, do it again.
I use a pressure washer on occasion to get of the lower panels and rockers. For forward facing surfaces which collect bugs and what not, I use a feminine scrubbie (ask your wife/girlfriend to get these for you). Very soft, but very effective in removing bugs. A little pre-soak of WD-40 on bugs and tar works wonders.

2) Your cleaning utensils should be cleaned after every use. You can use a sponge or a mit rinsing them throughout the wash. Just clean them when your done washing your car. I run them in the wash machine with a laundry detergent that has no added softeners and a 1/2 cup of simple green. Do this with your towels as well.
When drying towels, do not use dryer sheets. They have ocky stuff in them.

3) Use a different sponge or mit for the lower portions of the car and the wheels. No matter how much prep you do this is the dirtiest area of the vehicle and it will minimize foreign matter getting rubbed across the surface. Use cool/luke warm water and a soap designed for car finishes.
Do not use dish soap, expecially Dawn.

4) Wash in the shade, overcast or early part of day. This will minimize surface evaporation and water spots. Work from top to bottom. I wash one panel or section at a time and quick rinse the entire car to keep the finish from spotting.

5) Use only towels that are 100% cotton. You have to be carfeful here because even some of the 100% cotton labeled towels have edge trim that is made of something else. I dry one panel at a time. First with my "wet" towel. This towel I use to get 99% of the water off and follow up with my "dry" towel which gets me to my final result. Do this panel by panel and it will ensure a spot free finish. I do the glass in the same manner when all of the body panels are complete.

I am not a big fan of quick detailing. I believe this to be an act of personal preference and whatever works best for the individual.

You can wash and/or wax your car as often as you like.
I truly believe that the key ingrediant is surface prep.

I wash on average 2 times per week and wax every 2nd or 3rd weekend of the month. I do this because I enjoy it more than it really needs.

It takes me 3 hours to go through my car.
Wash, dry, interior clean, vac and detail. Trunk vac. Engine clean and detail. I just wipe inside fenders and engine components with a general cleaner and use armorall or similar product for all the rubber and plastic.

At the beginning of each season I wash the car using dawn dish soap. This will remove about 90% of the wax. Completely strip the wax using a cleaner/stripper, usually Meguiars. Claybar. Polish with a fine swirl remover. Meguiars used to make a product line of "Mirror Glaze" products with number rankings based on its agressiveness. Now they have combo products that clean and polish, "Fine cut cleaner" , "Heavy cut cleaner", "cleaner/wax, etc. Remove polishes, cleaners, coulple of coats of wax with a 100% cotton teri cloth or micro fiber towel. I perform all of this with as orbital buffer. Applying with the buffer and removing by hand.

Sorry for the long winded response.

As you can see, I am a big fan of Mequiar products.
Use whatever works best for you. There are lot of good products out there and I hear that Zaino products are very good.
Old 6/26/05, 11:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Wow, those are some great tips! Thanks
Old 6/30/05, 07:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Been reading through this thread and there is a lot of experience on this board and very good advice. My car has 2600 miles on it and currently not garaged (once I sell my '35 Chevy) then it will be in the garage. Anyway, for the 1st 1500 miles or so I'd wash it 3x/week b/c of all the pollen in the springtime. Then I bought a car cover from Kevin (05StangKC) and now it's atleast covered when not in use (not my daily driver). I used to use Mothers on it but switched to Meguires and I can tell a difference; I like Meguires better. I'd like to pass on a tip I read on here from one of the members (can't remember who) regarding swirl marks and how to not get them. Don't wash in a circular motion. With your wash mit, or towel, or whatever you're using, wash in the direction of the body panel. Left to right across the trunk lid. Horizontal front to rear/vice-versa along the sides. Windshield to grille on the hood and front to rear on the roof.

After I wash I use Meguires Quick Detailer to finish it off and the car looks showroof fresh!
Old 7/1/05, 11:52 PM

I haven't seen any mention of the Mr. Clean system. Have any of you used that? I've been using it on my wife's pony since it came out. The spot free rinse is even better than you can imagine. After I rinse her, I pull her into the garage, and she dries up completely spot free, even the mirrors and windows! Even if she dries outside, as long as it's not windy, and no birds see her, she shines b-e-a-utifully!

On my Sophia, I only drive her on nice days so she doesn't get dirty, but I lightly wash her weekly just so I can rub on her without my neighbors thinking I'm weird(er)!

[attachmentid=26221]

Well, I now that I have read further, I see there is a lot of talk about Mr. Clean. (sorry)
Old 7/2/05, 04:04 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I am sooooooooooo picky and that's why I found an apartment complex with garages available. I wash my Mustang once a month and probably wax it twice a month. I'm a firm believer the more you touch it (like posted earlier) the more chances you take of adding swirls and light scratches. The car only comes out for sunny days and shows. I use Meguiars NXT wax and touch up spray too.
Old 7/2/05, 04:05 PM

A few years back when we were looking for a house, our realtor was starting to turn down a dirt road and we said, "We're not interested in a house on a dirt road." He said, "But you haven't even seen the house!" We said "Don't care, there's no way we'd love the house more than we love our Mustang!"

[attachmentid=26252]
Old 7/2/05, 08:01 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by TwoHorseHome@July 2, 2005, 6:08 PM
A few years back when we were looking for a house, our realtor was starting to turn down a dirt road and we said, "We're not interested in a house on a dirt road." He said, "But you haven't even seen the house!" We said "Don't care, there's no way we'd love the house more than we love our Mustang!"
[attachmentid=26252]

That's why I can't move to a new subdivison. All the construction dirt on roads and in the air. And I want a new home, but I love the cars more.
Old 9/11/05, 06:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I used to wash my V6 every two weeks, but ever since I picked up Mothers® California Gold® Showtime® Instant Detailer, the V6 gets a wash every three weeks.

As for washing, I use Mr. Clean® AutoDry® Car Wash. Waxing is done with Simply Z-Best® Car Wax, which lasts for six months, but I apply a coat every other wash.
Old 9/13/05, 10:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine gets washed every Saturday morning, and a coat of Z2 Pro every other Saturday after the wash.
Old 9/18/05, 10:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Great info, lots of experience here thats for sure. I was inquiring on drying/cleaning/polishing towels from http://www.exceldetail.com/
and he had mentioned this to me
"Limit washing to once a week.

> Polish initially, then seal. Reseal every other month. Everytime you wash,
> dry, polish, wax, seal Quick Detail, etc, you expose the surface to the
> possibility of micro marring. If you can limit (contact) washing/drying, and
> maintain cleanliness with a QD between, you'd be better off.

So many different opinions, but all seem to acheive the same result, a wonderfull looking car
Old 9/19/05, 10:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
I get to enjoy the challenge of a black Mustang that is also a daily driver. It's black Mustang #4.

What I have learned is - don't hesitate to toss washing mitts, towels, etc. and replace them with new ones regularly. Or assign them to lawnmower cleaning. If I have a second thought about a mitt or towel, I don't use it. And have a separate mitt for the lower areas and lower rear quarters. It gets replaced more frequently.

I completely agree with rinse, rinse, and rinse some more before you touch the car.

Wash from the top down. (Everyone knows this one, of course.)

We also use the Mr. Clean system. Works fine. It isn't the end-all be-all, but it does help.

The new one has been washed twice since September 7th. I have not had enough time to completely wax yet. I did get a coat on the hood and the front bumper areas. I hope to finish waxing it this week before the show near Richmond on the 24th. I am not entering her; we're just going up for the fun of it.

The REAL challenge will be winter, when it is too cold to wash her. I'll be spending some $$ then on inside help, and looking for that one sweet day I can wash her without getting pneumonia. Then we'll pull into the garage and wax away. I do want her waxed at least two or three times before yucky weather and roads arrive.

Black is such a pain. But when it is done right...!
Old 9/19/05, 08:54 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first off,I have a garage,and use a car cover when at work.Unfortunately love bug season dictates my car cleaning this time of year and may as well.I wash the bugs off as soon as possible.I have washed my new baby 3 times already and I just got it sept 9.Thats cuz I took a road trip,and the luv bug dilemma.Waxed it once with maguires quick wax(I love it cuz it goes on and comes off easy)it also doesn't ruin the black plastic trim like regular wax.The new verts have plastic trim running from side doors all the way around back window so I don't want to take a chance.