Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Think This Will Require Replacing?

Search this Thread

Old 9/1/06, 06:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Think This Will Require Replacing?

Not even one month old (3 days shy) and I have a ding in my 2007 GT. It was caused by me not clearing a concrete pillar in the parking garage.

I would prefer it not be replaced. I wonder if a body shop might attempt a repair.

Thoughts?

PS - I will take any and all sympathies
PPS - Do I have the distinction of being the first forum member to mess up their 2007?
Attached Thumbnails Think This Will Require Replacing?-07_ouch.jpg  
Old 9/1/06, 06:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry Tony. I have done that before, but much worse! (not on my 06) I might consider fixing, I always have a concern about fender spacing if they replace it. Its in an edge so I am not really sure. You have my sympathy.
Old 9/1/06, 07:10 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It can be fixed. Check the gap between your door and fender, and fender and hood to make sure there's no further damage than obvious. A good tech can get that out and reform the bodyline without any major issues. You're fortunate - the damage is right in the middle and there's enough room for them to blend the paint within the fender and you can stay out of the door and good and keep your factory finish on the majority of the car. You're probably looking at $400-500 repair. Sorry dude, that sucks.
Old 9/1/06, 08:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
It can be fixed. Check the gap between your door and fender, and fender and hood to make sure there's no further damage than obvious.
From the quick visual inspection (I just put in the garage when I got home to keep my blood pressure down), it would appear the gaps are the same. The impact was at a very slow speed, as was just creeping out of the parking spot.

A good tech can get that out and reform the bodyline without any major issues.
That's what I was hoping.

You're fortunate - the damage is right in the middle and there's enough room for them to blend the paint within the fender and you can stay out of the door and good and keep your factory finish on the majority of the car.
Yeah, I really would rather avoid a major repaint or part replacement on a less than 1 month old car

You're probably looking at $400-500 repair.
My estimate as well.

Sorry dude, that sucks.
Yes, it does! I had my boss in the car with me, showing it off for the first time to him. What a dopey move.
Old 9/1/06, 09:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
ouch!...looks like you got up close and personal with a golf ball.
Old 9/2/06, 06:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
PPS - Do I have the distinction of being the first forum member to mess up their 2007?
Ouch, I feel for you dude. Gotta stay out of parking garages fo sho. You may be the first to have an event at your own hand unless you count the dude who totaled his Cobra when he was having a heart attack. I heard conflicting reports about whether he died or not. I got the perverbial rock flying out of a dump truck before I had made a payment. $250 in damages..Goes in the shop on 9/11.

Personally, there would be no doubt that I would fix it...
Old 9/2/06, 08:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by flashfearless
I got the perverbial rock flying out of a dump truck before I had made a payment. $250 in damages..Goes in the shop on 9/11.
I recall your story...you have my sympathies as well. Good luck with the repair.
I have not made a payment either. Dang it!
Old 9/2/06, 06:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Maybe get somebody to pay you to advertise and just mount a short flag pole in that grove and when your time is up fix it nice with all the money you just made ?
Old 9/2/06, 07:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
Maybe get somebody to pay you to advertise and just mount a short flag pole in that grove and when your time is up fix it nice with all the money you just made ?
Creative!
Old 9/3/06, 01:39 PM
Bullitt Member

OUCH!

Sorry to see that happened. I nearly ripped the mirror off my 97 Sable pulling out of a garrage. I refuse to even THINK about pulling my baby into one. They scare me.

Hope you can get her fixed soon.
Old 9/3/06, 08:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by WarBird69
OUCH!

Sorry to see that happened. I nearly ripped the mirror off my 97 Sable pulling out of a garrage. I refuse to even THINK about pulling my baby into one. They scare me.

Hope you can get her fixed soon.
I like keeping the cars in the covered garage rather than letting them stay outside. I am sure I will be more attentive in the future. I can only move forward and get it repaired.

I am still getting used to the size of this car vs. my Mach 1. That was part of the cause. The other was yapping with my boss, who was in the car at the time, about how cool it is. Smack! Stupid!!

How was the wedding and honeymoon??
Old 9/3/06, 09:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i know the feeling.

in 2005, i used a concrete pillar to remove the mirror from the side of my still new F150 Lariat. It was the expensive heated mirrors with builtin turn signals. No body damage, just the mirror was torn to hell. Fortunately i did the work myself to fix it and only cost me $130 for a whole new mirror assembly.
Old 9/3/06, 09:36 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by WarBird69
You're afraid to park in a garage?
Old 9/3/06, 10:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

You're afraid to park in a garage?
I am assuming the concern was a parking garage. Too many of them have only very tight spaces to park in..
Old 9/3/06, 10:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by flashfearless
I am assuming the concern was a parking garage. Too many of them have only very tight spaces to park in..
Actually the concern is the garrages at our apartment (base housing). Detached garrages. VERY tight fit. One wrong miscaculation and you've got yourself a scraped fender, broken mirror, ect. Bricks are not forgiving. The driveway between garrages is narrow as well, so a slip-up there and you're backing into the garrages opposite of you.

And the honeymoon was great.
Old 9/5/06, 08:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ouch!
My sympathies are with you. If it were me I'd just replace the whole fender.

Get the paint guy to test the match of the paint on the wrecked fender before spraying the new piece. Once it is right have him only paint the fender and not to blend with the rest of the car. A bad blend job will eat at your gut way longer and harder than just the fender being slightly off in paint match. Mainly cos you can always have the new fender repainted while the blend can never be fixed.

BTW, your dilema is the number one reason I will never own a metallic paint car ever again. The whole blending, matching flake lay thing is a complete PITA! Ugh... been down that road too many times and it sucks when it's not done right. Take it from personal experience, replace the whole part and have it painted separate from the car. The seam lines will help hide if the flake isn't quite right.

Hopefully whoever does your paint will know what they are doing. Goodluck!
Old 9/5/06, 08:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Little Black Pony
Ouch!
My sympathies are with you. If it were me I'd just replace the whole fender.

Get the paint guy to test the match of the paint on the wrecked fender before spraying the new piece. Once it is right have him only paint the fender and not to blend with the rest of the car. A bad blend job will eat at your gut way longer and harder than just the fender being slightly off in paint match. Mainly cos you can always have the new fender repainted while the blend can never be fixed.

BTW, your dilema is the number one reason I will never own a metallic paint car ever again. The whole blending, matching flake lay thing is a complete PITA! Ugh... been down that road too many times and it sucks when it's not done right. Take it from personal experience, replace the whole part and have it painted separate from the car. The seam lines will help hide if the flake isn't quite right.

Hopefully whoever does your paint will know what they are doing. Goodluck!
Thanks for your input. I had the car in today for the estimate. I have faith in the person doing the repair, as he is the same person who painted and put on the chin spoiler and ducktail. He is a Mustang enthusiast (owns a Bullitt he rebuilt) and is very picky about the appearance. His recommendation was to repair rather than replace. I am crossing my fingers.
Old 9/14/06, 09:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

It was finished yesterday...much better!
Attached Thumbnails Think This Will Require Replacing?-07_fixed.jpg  
Old 9/14/06, 06:50 PM
I lust for a M24

Looks good. How much was the damage?
Old 9/14/06, 06:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

$520 was the total...the original part was fixed not replaced.

Quick Reply: Think This Will Require Replacing?