Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Paint scratch/Trim Scuff removal from forced entry?

Search this Thread

Old 9/14/12, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint scratch/Trim Scuff removal from forced entry?

I would like any possible advice on the best way to remove some scratch marks on the paint next to the drivers side window and "scuff" marks on the plastic trim surrounding the door window.

I can feel the scratch marks in the paint with my fingernail, so what is my chance with using scratch x or another polish/filler compound?

For the plastic trim, I am unsure of how to proceed with that.

I have attached two pictures I took with my droid Bionic (which has a ****ty camera that will not focus in close-ups so sorry if they're not the best) for a reference.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
Attached Thumbnails Paint scratch/Trim Scuff removal from forced entry?-2012-09-14_scratch_mark2.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 9/14/12, 07:48 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Never use Kit scratch X. Get meguiars scratch remover. Respectfully, it's hard to tell in the pic if you just brushed clear coat or dug primer.

If its clear coat, then a few gentle applications of the scratch remover will work. Use the softest microfiber towel and work in a gentle circular motion to fill in the scratch. If it went primer, then a touch up is in order. There's a more involved process there.

The plastic trim is easy, use back to black, armor all, or even peanut butter! This will remove the scuffs from the plastic and any appearance of chalkiness.
Old 9/14/12, 02:13 PM

Thanks for your advice.
When you mention "meguiars scratch remover," the only product I can find listed on the Meguiar's website is ScratchX 2.0. Is there a seperate scratch remover that is less abbrasive?

If it did go into the primer, will attemping to remove it via scratch remover cause more harm than good?

I will try to get a better picture up.
Old 9/14/12, 02:29 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Kyle6164
Thanks for your advice.
When you mention "meguiars scratch remover," the only product I can find listed on the Meguiar's website is ScratchX 2.0. Is there a seperate scratch remover that is less abbrasive?

If it did go into the primer, will attemping to remove it via scratch remover cause more harm than good?

I will try to get a better picture up.
Yes that's the one.

The scratch remover will isolate the actual scratch if it went to primer. However you will still need to fill the scratch in. Positive it will shrink the appearance of the scratch even in this scenario.

If it was just a scuff, then the remover will diminish it entirely. You will be surprised at how well it works. It will not harm at all.

Make sure the impact area is clean and grit free. Just a few gentle applications. Don't go overboard. Be patient and gently work the scratch out.

It's at wal Mart and target stores. No need to order the product.
Attached Thumbnails Paint scratch/Trim Scuff removal from forced entry?-image-4030648330.jpg  

Last edited by Getportfolio; 9/14/12 at 02:35 PM.
Old 9/17/12, 12:08 PM

Thanks for info!
Old 9/19/12, 11:30 PM
This message has been deleted by 2k7gtcs.