Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Paint Protection Guarantee

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/13 | 12:26 PM

Paint Protection Guarantee

Hey guys, I was at the dealer yesterday and one of the sales reps pitched the idea of some kinda of paint protective spray for my entire car. Said its a one time spray, keeps the color shining for years, protects against all uv, bugs, small pebbles, and sand. Also a life time guarantee and customer satisfaction policy. Only $395 plus tax. Has anyone else been offered this or heard of it? Any one have any expertise on this stuff? Thanks for the replies in advance!!
Old 9/9/13 | 12:50 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

its snake oil. its just like under coating. Take it to a pro detailer and save some cash and get a better wax/coating.
Old 9/9/13 | 01:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

they are offering opti-coat... http://www.opti-coat.com/

pros - yes it does protect your car from UV, bugs, bird droppings n it is a protectant
cons - after this application, non of ur beautification products will stick... so u cannt wax or make the car look sleek...

dont think this as scratch resistant.. it will scratch n if it scratches you have to redo....think this as an additional layer of clear coat... thats all it..i dont recommedn dealer doing it as you know our cars comes out of factory with lot of paint defects... it is recommednded to do opti-caot after doing detailed paint correction...
just my 2cent...
Old 9/9/13 | 01:19 PM

Appreciate the fast replies, my opinion I would rather take my chances with the world and still be able to wax my ride. I'm in the Navy so I do quite a bit of traveling but Ill get a bra for those long trips and save money and aggregation. HOOYAH!
Old 9/9/13 | 01:41 PM
Post *****

Most people on this forum preach against it. But I have to say, these polymer coatings really do hold up well.
I have never waxed my 08 and water still beads like crazy and it has a deep luxurious shine after a wash and dry with a microfiber. I'm glad I went for it and since it was financed in the loan it was a very small up charge. I get tons of compliments on the deep reflective shine.

The real key is the guarantee - not all plans offer it.

I made the mistake of hosing bugs off after I first got it after coming home late one night (drive around the lake is bug city). Figured I was doing a good thing and would wash it the next day.
The next day I had WATER SPOTS FROM HELL! No way I could get them out after several washes. 3 or 4 months later I called the dealer because the guarantee said it was supposed to prevent water spots. (Didn't realize my well water had that much calcium/lime in it.) They were so bad they had to do an 'acid wash' to get them out, and then re-detailed and re-applied the polymer for free.

Then in 09 I got keyed... insurance not only covered the damage and repaint, but since I had the polymer applied (along with 3M Clear Mask) by the Dealer, the insurance paid for a wax/polymer application (as well as new 3M Clear Mask).

My experience has been very positive. I don't trade cars often and intend to keep #901 for many years. So it has been worth it to me.

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/9/13 at 01:44 PM.
Old 9/9/13 | 08:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Don't fall for that sales pitch....

CiniZter....I highly doubt that a dealership is offering Optimum Car Care's Opti-Coat.

Wile E. Coyote...If you want Opticoat. seek out a professional detailer who offers it.
Old 9/9/13 | 11:26 PM

I'm almost positive they offering scotchguard, from what I can remember.
Old 9/10/13 | 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by DaGonz
Don't fall for that sales pitch....

CiniZter....I highly doubt that a dealership is offering Optimum Car Care's Opti-Coat.

Wile E. Coyote...If you want Opticoat. seek out a professional detailer who offers it.
Agreed. Opti-Coat is a far cry from dealership offerings, and currently only available through authorized detailers.
Old 9/10/13 | 09:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I would pass just because I like detailing my car. Sick I know. I had some package done to my 00 mustang and I feel as stated above the car should be detailed before the spray goes on, or at least clay bared.
Old 9/11/13 | 12:54 PM

Thanks guys, I turned down the offer and will continue to detail my car and take car of scratches chips and bad things as they come
Old 9/11/13 | 03:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote
Thanks guys, I turned down the offer and will continue to detail my car and take car of scratches chips and bad things as they come
You will love the time u spend alone with her