Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

car wash?

Search this Thread

Old 9/10/13, 10:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car wash?

How do you pick a good car wash who's not gonna ruin your car???? I've had car wash places break stuff in my cars before but with my mustang I will kill anyone (at least for now...) if anything is messed up! Also just put tint in. How long should I wait before washing so it doesn't ruin the tint>?
Old 9/10/13, 11:06 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Define ruin? Breaking stuff is one thing but a carwash can be hard on the paint period as most use some variation of a cloth strip to wash the car.

I take mine to a local Autobell, they all know me pretty well and I tip reasonably well so I get treated well.
Old 9/11/13, 05:51 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ask the tint person that installed it as to how long they recommend...they will be the ones you return to if its damaged by a wash.

As to washing, if a car wash is all you have access to, use one that lets you do it yourself. When my company had me staying at a corporate apartment, I bought a bucket, a mitt, and some car wash suds, then I'd head over to a car wash stall, where you dump quarters into a box, and I'd wet the vehicle down. Then I'd hand wash it, then dump a few more quarters into the box, and rinse it off. Pull out of the stall, then dry it with your towels.
Old 9/11/13, 05:56 AM
Cobra Member

Someone else washing your car is just crazy talk! Find time to do it yourself, and do it right
Old 9/11/13, 06:05 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i dont think any car wash place will treat your car as u treat it... so best bet do two bucket or gary dean method of washing to keep it trouble free..... most of them re-use cleaning cloth.. unless u r the first one to drive in, u'll get swirls from the unclean towels...
Old 9/11/13, 06:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In some cases, folks do not have access to hand washing at their location. As I stated, I was put up in a corporate apartment during a relocation. It took 5 months to obtain a new house in the area, so I was stuck at an apartment with no garage, no outside facilities to wash my personal vehicles (my truck and the wifes BMW). So I found one of those places that had stalls that you could dump quarters into the box and use the rinse function. I dod not use the foaming suds setup there; instead, I brought my own bucket, washing mitt, and car wash suds. I only used the stall to wet the vehicles, and then rinse off after I hand washed them.
Old 9/11/13, 06:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

I was told not to wash my car for a week after getting it tinted. I was also told to use ammonia free products when washing the windows after that week was up.

As far as a carwash, look around your town for touchless car washes. They don't touch your car with cloths. It doesn't clean it was well as you doing it yourself, but it's good between washes to get more time out of your detail
Old 9/11/13, 07:06 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Rando
As far as a carwash, look around your town for touchless car washes. They don't touch your car with cloths. It doesn't clean it was well as you doing it yourself, but it's good between washes to get more time out of your detail
^^^^^^ +1
Old 9/11/13, 07:54 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i have a horrifying story to convey on touchless automatic system... friend of mine who has a brand new 2013 audi s4 was using local touchless automatic wash, during the wash cycle he started to hear some metal ding noise coming slow then it was getting louder. he couldnt see anything outside with all the foam in his windows.. but when it cleared his car body was all scratched, dinged... a moving arm welding failed n it rolled all over the car... yes after weeks of phone calls, their insurance paid for repair.. so beware...always look at the condition of these place.. if they are not maintained or well kept dont drive in....
Old 9/11/13, 01:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Most places won't be maintained. A lot of the car washes, at least in my area aren't 100% trustworthy; i don't think even the car wash owners put their car through it.

The absolute, BEST way to make sure the car is being washed right? Unfortunately that involves having your own bucket, hose/water, soap, towels, and elbow grease.
Old 9/11/13, 02:31 PM

If you don't have access to a hose, get Optimum No Rinse. It's HIGHLY revered as a great alternative to traditional washes. Use the two bucket method with gritguards. Two bucket method is basically keeping one bucket for only clean soapy water, and the other for rinsing your wash media (sponge, etc.)

The only type of automated washes you should consider are touchless car washes, but probably only for winter.
Old 9/11/13, 02:49 PM
GT Member

If you live in a well-developed area, chances are at least fair that there are new-ish "touchless" (hand-wash, whatever they call it) car washes. Visit them. Ask your detailer for recommendations. The (only) one I go to at times has a window in the cashier's area where you can see the whole process. And it's a nice, new place as well. There are certainly no parts that come anywhere near your car (or could, really). The rest of the work is done by people, with constant change of microfiber cloths. Costs more, but worth it (about $25-$30). They do such a good job, you can go right to the wax process from there.

Beware (at least in CA) of the self-serve car wash. They almost always use recycled water which leaves massive spots...no matter how soon you wipe dry.
Old 9/11/13, 04:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Stop by the local fire department and make friends - maybe offer bagels in return for using their hose for 30 mins to wash.

I have used the self washes before and brought a sponge to do the actual cleaning then just use the sprayer to rinse
Old 9/11/13, 05:22 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Used to have to go to hand washes back in my flea baggin days living in an apartment complex.

On one occasion, I had an attendant walk up behind me and sternly tell me "No bucket washing!"

I smiled and said "that's great." "I don't have time to wash buckets, I've got to get this car clean"!

I don't miss those days.
Old 9/11/13, 05:31 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Must...... Resist....... Urge.........to......respond......to.....this..... .. Thread.......

Arrrrrrghhhhhh
Old 9/11/13, 05:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
On one occasion, I had an attendant walk up behind me and sternly tell me "No bucket washing!"

I smiled and said "that's great." "I don't have time to wash buckets, I've got to get this car clean"!

I don't miss those days.
Awesome Best laugh I had all day!

Definitely hand wash your car. My GT arrives on 10/5 and I told the dealer not to wash it... I'll do it myself. You have to seal the bond with these cars much like the blue guy in Avatar with that flying creature!
Old 9/11/13, 08:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Hand wash or touchless only, no grinders for my cars.
Old 9/11/13, 09:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I NEVER take my car to a car wash. EVER.

The first problem with car washes is they tend to use reclaimed water. That means there are little tiny pieces of dirt, rock, and other debris mixed in with the water and blown at high pressure at your paint.

The second problem is that the guys that dry your car off use the same dirty towels that they've used on the dozen cars before yours. These towels are embedded with dirt and grit, and then they come and press that into your paint and rub on it really hard.

The third problem is if it's a touchless wash then it's not getting your car clean, but if they touch the paint then they are using dirt covered equipment and clothes to do it. They don't clean their equipment or replace sponges and towels between each wash.

Most light scratches and swirl marks come from washing with dirty equipment and cloths. Most come from paying someone else to wash your car.
Old 9/12/13, 09:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I wash my own car but some of the comments on here crack me up. We drive our cars, bugs hit them, rocks hit them, dust hits them, and we throw up everything from gum, spit, and cigarette butts to small squashed dead animals. I am sure reclaimed water and other things do not affect the paint as much as just driving them.
The reason I wash my own car is 1) I am cheap, 2) I do not use chemical sprays on the rims, 3) I wash inside the rims, and 4) I dry the car more thoroughly. I want it done correctly but I am not going to change out my water every panel to make sure there are no dirt particles or bug guts in the bucket.
Old 9/12/13, 11:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Best car wash place I have ever found is my very own driveway

Quick Reply: car wash?