Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Mr CLean Autodry

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/04, 07:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by BlackRiderX+August 27, 2004, 8:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BlackRiderX @ August 27, 2004, 8:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-1 BULLITT@August 9, 2004, 12:54 PM
What about the possibility of damage to the clearcoat?
What chemicals are in their formula?
I stopped using mine. I have owned two different black cars within the last 6 years and this is the first time I got stuck with some water spots etched into the paint. One of two things happened. Either the chemicals in the drying filter caused the problem or you should not just spray the unit over the car without redoing it with a towel.

It is also funny that when this came out the dry filters were labeled as
"3 uses" and have been replaced by "10 uses" instead. You have to stock up on the stuff here. I'll stick to handwashing for now. [/b][/quote]
glad I read this. I went to one of those home shows a while back, and bought a special shammy cloth. You wet it and then lay the cloth on your car, and pull it one way. takes the water off, then you wax. no spots! even if you don't wax , no spots! I thought the guy was full of but he was'nt. that works for me. best money I ever spent. looks like Mark's black vert !
Old 10/8/04, 08:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No one has realy mentioned if this thing cuts through grease/dirt very well. What about road tar, dried on bugs, and my biggest problem is brake dust and other crap on my wheels wich never comes off unless I hand wash. I've tried a few wheel cleaners and they do nothing. So, how does this thing work on the above mentioned obstacles??
Old 10/9/04, 12:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by JeffreyDJ+March 8, 2004, 2:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JeffreyDJ @ March 8, 2004, 2:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BlueStangVert@Mar. 8th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Used it yesterday and loved it!
So it worked as advertised? Did you have to towel dry at all? Did it leave any spots? [/b][/quote]
Autodry stinks. Was gonna sell it on my Web site (see Sig) but found it to be a big waste of time. It's marketing genius though -- you can "ONLY" use their soap, they claim anyways -- AND you gotta' buy their stupid water filters which cause the spot-free rinse.

So, let's add it up: $20 for unit, $5 per extra soap bottle, and $6 per extra filter.

I say get a big bucket of Meguiar's car wash soap with water and use a sponge. The Autodry doesn't even clean the car, you still need to wash it by hand for visibly good results.
Old 12/1/04, 03:53 PM

Used Auto-Dry about 3 or 4 times. I think that the most important factor is the type of water in your area (soft or hard- the harder the water, the more mineral deposits are contained in it.) Even though the filter is supposed to remove the deposits, I'm not convinced that it gets everything.

I live in an area where the water is VERY hard (will clog up a showerhead after 3-4 years!)...and on a black car, I still ended up getting water spots here and there, which I needed to go back over. Overall, not terrible, but not recommended for black. I'm back to hand washing for now.
Old 12/2/04, 06:33 PM

my dad got the autodry for his navy blue F- 150. He said it did all right but he'd much rather do it by hand...he is a perfectionist when it comes to this. i would recomned it for winter time or for a casual quick wash, but not for your full body wax and wash. Also the autodry comes with full money back guarantee, my dad sent his back in and got his money back
~hannah
Old 2/2/05, 11:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

This Mr. Clean stuff is an interesting idea, but one that is based on simple chemical principles. Water is a polar molecule...ie. positive at one end and negative at the other... (high school chemistry), therefore, it sticks to itself. This is why you can fill a glass of water slightly higher than the top before it spills over. What I have been doing for years when I wash my cars: Wash and spray rinse like normal, then take the spray nozzle off. Turn the water on to a moderate rate and, starting with the roof, rinse so that you are trying to get a continuous layer of water over each surface. What you will notice is that the majority (not all, mind you) of the water will sheet off, leaving you with very little to dry when you are finished. This also has the added benefit of running copious amounts of water through the rain tracts to help keep them clear.

I'm not certain, but I suspect that doing it this way takes within a few minutes of using the Mr. Clean product.

One final note: This technique works best with a good coat of wax on the car, so it also encourages you to wax more often.

Oh yeah...just thought of one more benefit...........it doesn't cost any more $.
Old 5/27/07, 08:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

I Hate it. The fact that you have to keep replacing the filter is horrible. Its cheaper to do a drive through car wash.
Old 10/18/08, 03:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I am considering an AutoDry but instead, I would like to use my own wash n wax soap (Blue Coral or whatever) without the filter. Can I use the blast/rinse mode with the soap but without the filter?

I often rinse my car in the winter to get rid of road grime and salt. I can't wash and wax the car in the winter because it is well below 10F all the time. I doubt car washes have a desalination process for their rinse water.

What's the soap capacity of the Auto Dry? How often do I have to refill it during a wash?
Old 10/28/08, 08:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I bought it on-sale and with several coupons. It looks like it is built well, but I plan to test it using my own wax / detergent solution without the PUR filter.
Old 10/28/08, 02:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I tried Mr. Clean auto dry a few times but in all honesty after like the first two washs that polymer chager is shot , the better way to go for me was McQuires NXT but now NXT 2 it has Polymers and lasts longer ! cheaper in the longe run too >
Old 10/31/08, 04:33 PM
Cobra R Member

the Autodry is great, until it FALLS APART! I've gone through 3 of the **** things...
Old 10/31/08, 04:46 PM

Mine is in the garbage can.
Old 11/13/08, 03:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

I use mine in the winter just because it gets the nasty stuff off. It still looks like crud after but I drive mine all year round and just spray it down regularly in the winter. I have a drain in my garage so it is fairly easy!