Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Lower body tape peeling on V6

Search this Thread

Old 5/17/05, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was recently in a rental v6 with the lower body tape, and out of curiosity, I wanted to see if it was easy to peel off. Unfortunately, it seems like you could just peel it right off after getting it started with your fingernail. Anyone know if zaino would help keep it from peeling off?
Old 5/17/05, 12:45 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lower body tape? Are you talking about the vinyl stripes along the rocker panels that say "Mustang"?
Old 5/17/05, 12:47 PM
Retired Tms Staff

OMG, are you serious? You actually wanted to see how easily you could peel it off. Well waxing will not stop you from being able to peel it off. You have to remember, it is vinyl, and the thin stripes peel off very easily until they have had a lot of time to back in the sun. However, even after a few years you would still be able to peel the rocker stripes off pretty easily.
Old 5/17/05, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by adrenalin@May 17, 2005, 12:50 PM
OMG, are you serious? You actually wanted to see how easily you could peel it off. Well waxing will not stop you from being able to peel it off. You have to remember, it is vinyl, and the thin stripes peel off very easily until they have had a lot of time to back in the sun. However, even after a few years you would still be able to peel the rocker stripes off pretty easily.
I just don't want it to be so easy to peel off that it peels off while waxing, washing, etc. There was another post from someone claiming it was peeling on them while waxing....
Old 5/17/05, 12:57 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I clean Eleanor obsessively...And Liquid wax her weekly..
NEVER NEVER had any problems with the rocker panel stripes- they are in place and perfect. Wash right over them.....Hand dry em... Don't even try to peel off on me.
Old 5/17/05, 01:08 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by nelinator@May 17, 2005, 12:55 PM
I just don't want it to be so easy to peel off that it peels off while waxing, washing, etc. There was another post from someone claiming it was peeling on them while waxing....
If you are not careful and hit the edge while washing you can lift an edge. If that happens and you get dirt or wax under it, it will never stick back down. It is only the corners you have to worry about.
Old 5/17/05, 01:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

I suppose if you really wanted to go to an extreme and may it as permanent as you could. You could always get the clear 3M stuff put on over the vinyl. That will seal it in there nice and tight .
Old 5/17/05, 01:47 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by Stadifer@May 17, 2005, 1:21 PM
I suppose if you really wanted to go to an extreme and may it as permanent as you could. You could always get the clear 3M stuff put on over the vinyl. That will seal it in there nice and tight .
The 3M "stuff" is a type of vinyl as well. Sure, it definately sticks better but I have seen the edges of that lift as well. If you are that paranoid you can always use a very small amount of clearcoat. If you can't find the liquid form get a spray can. Spray some into a container and use a fine brush to apply it to the corners of the stripe.