Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Scratches on Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 5/17/05, 09:30 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a few light scratches on the center console of my '05. In my '98, the center console was much more textured, so even if there was a scratch, it didn't show. Does anyone have any suggestions, short of replacing the console, that I could reduce the obviousness of the scratches as much as possible. I was hoping some of you car guys would have some tricks up your sleeves.
Old 5/17/05, 09:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have one too. The plastic seems soft. I'm interested in any idea.
Old 5/17/05, 09:52 AM
Cobra Member

I was thinking about rubbing it real lightly with toothpaste, since it is the most mild abrasive I can think of. I will try a concealed spot first to make sure it won't harm it. But if anyone has a better idea, please let me know. I am shooting in the dark with the toothpaste thing.
Old 5/17/05, 10:00 AM
Cobra Member

I'm in the same spot. I've already got two small knicks in the plastic, right by the cup holders. It bothers me because I'm pretty sure I didn't cause them. I think a tech scratched them with his keys!

The only quick fix I could suggest is armor-alling the console. The shiny surface will make it harder to notice scratches. Only problem is, I prefer the matte finish of the console and I don't like the smell or feel of armor all.

The more expensive alternative is getting the silver applique finish, available on the aftermarket.
Old 5/17/05, 10:13 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by CelticCub@May 17, 2005, 10:03 AM
I'm in the same spot. I've already got two small knicks in the plastic, right by the cup holders. It bothers me because I'm pretty sure I didn't cause them. I think a tech scratched them with his keys!

The only quick fix I could suggest is armor-alling the console. The shiny surface will make it harder to notice scratches. Only problem is, I prefer the matte finish of the console and I don't like the smell or feel of armor all.

The more expensive alternative is getting the silver applique finish, available on the aftermarket.
Exact same here. Right by the cup holder, and I didn't put them there. I have already put on some 303 Protectant, and it made them harder to see, but I am still bothered by them. I mentioned to my dad just now about something to do, and he told me that if I rubbed on matte plastic with any kind of abrasive, it would give me one heck of a shiny spot that would stand out worse than the scratches. I guess I will just have to let them be.
Old 5/17/05, 10:35 AM

Could cover it up with a facing piece from woodview or another carrier. I am thinking of getting the satin nickel finish consol facing to help prevent scratches. When I picked my car up it had three scratches on the consol and they had to replace it.
Old 5/17/05, 10:36 AM
Cobra Member

Hey Tim, if you like the look of the silver applique, I would suggest getting it for the center stack, as well as the console.

Wild Stray's dash and console look pretty cool. Check out the pic he posted in the mods section. I know it won't help the scratches already on your console, but it might hold up better to wear and tear.
Old 5/17/05, 10:49 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Mothers Back to black works great on those scratches. It says it can be used on any color.
Old 5/17/05, 11:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yea Tim dont use toothpast or anything that says it removes scratches as it is lightly buffing them. it will remove the matte, which is probably chemically etched on the surface, and leave you with a gloss finish. What about that clear bra 3M stuff I have heard you guys mention? I have never seen it and have no idea if it is sprayed on or a roll but for those of you that know do you think it is something that could be applied to keep out the scratches?
Old 5/17/05, 05:35 PM
Bullitt Member

I hit light scratches with a heat gun on low, or a hair dryer on the high setting very quickly.