Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Low Budget Detailing(with pics!!)

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/12, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Budget Detailing(with pics!!)

OK, so I'm currently on a next to nothing budget, using what I can pick up on occasion. So no Adams or other really good products. Using Meguiars Carnauba wax, an ancient bottle of Kit Scratch Off, Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer, 5 little microfiber towels, 1 large microfiber towel for drying the car, Stoners Invisible Glass, Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash, a really old Turtle Wax ICE clay bar kit, and some cotton bath/hand towels. Heres what I did, based on what I've learned on autopia.org and the Adams instructional videos.

I put a cotton towel, folded over several times, and poured some soap on the top and halfway down in the towel, and some on my MF sponge. Filled up the bucket, rinsed down the car, and washed the wheels/trim first with the MF sponge. Rinsed off the wheels, took the towel and used the weight of it to clean the top half of the car. Flipped the towel over to the 2nd soapy spot, and did the bottom half. Rinsed off the whole car, then ran the water really slowly to pool it all off of the car.

Drove the car back to the parking lot, used the MF drying towel on it. I tried to focus on thinning out the water, rather than sopping up ever drop, so I got it done quicker and almost completely avoided water marks.

I started with the clay bar, got all the spots that stuck out. I then went over most of them with the Kit Scratch Off, plus went after a couple scratches. I couldn't get them out completely, especially my 1 deep one, but it definitely helped a ton. I went over everything again with a small MF towel to clean up the lubricant. I used the Scratch Off on the trunk lid, roof, and hood, and followed that and the rest of the car with wax. This was all done entirely done by hand. Went back and buffed out the wax twice, went over the trim and interior with trim polish, and here she is. I think she looks pretty good. Definitely open to suggestions for next time!!

On top of that, got my 1st free oil change from the dealership first thing this morning, and she feels like even more of a rocket now!!
Attached Thumbnails Low Budget Detailing(with pics!!)-wp_000120-3-.jpg   Low Budget Detailing(with pics!!)-wp_000121-3-.jpg   Low Budget Detailing(with pics!!)-wp_000123-3-.jpg   Low Budget Detailing(with pics!!)-wp_000126-3-.jpg   Low Budget Detailing(with pics!!)-wp_000130.jpg  

Low Budget Detailing(with pics!!)-wp_000129.jpg   Low Budget Detailing(with pics!!)-wp_000128-3-.jpg  
Old 6/16/12, 12:14 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Very nice! Great work for the average kit, now imagine the possibilities once you get into some higher end products
Old 6/19/12, 09:34 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

I would like to take this time to congradulate you, seriously, you have done what I have been screaming about for years. With minimun investment, using off the shelf products, you have properly prepped and polished and waxed your vehicle. Enough said, it looks great and you did not have to ask
3 forums full of "what wax is best" and other constantly asked questions.

Congrats Again.

TDS
Old 8/29/12, 09:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TDS
I would like to take this time to congradulate you, seriously, you have done what I have been screaming about for years. With minimun investment, using off the shelf products, you have properly prepped and polished and waxed your vehicle. Enough said, it looks great and you did not have to ask
3 forums full of "what wax is best" and other constantly asked questions.

Congrats Again.

TDS
I agree completely. Car looks great, you didn't have to spend 3 weeks looking for "the best" products across the internet, and you got to get rid of some of the really old stuff that's been sitting in your garage/closet far too long!

I would use a tire shine, besides that looks good!
Old 8/29/12, 09:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by zbrewha863
I would use a tire shine, besides that looks good!
+1
I use Meg's tire gel and love it. simple to apply and lasts a lot longer than spray -on products that I have tried. A nice jet black shine on those tires would complete the freshly detailed look! Good work!
Old 8/29/12, 09:54 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Does look prettyful
Old 8/29/12, 09:54 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks great.