Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Keeping the underside clean

Search this Thread

Old 9/13/06, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keeping the underside clean

Being the proud owner of an 06 GT, I'm naturally skittish about the tiniest speck of dirt on it. I know there will come a time when I'll have to drive it in the rain (I live in Seattle), so I was wondering one thing.

Is there any kind of coating, etc., that can be applied to the undercarriage that would help keep the grime/rustiness/crustiness away? Or are frequent washings all that's needed?
Old 9/13/06, 04:14 PM
Cobra Member

We simply don't drive in/on those road conditions, no way around it.

The undercarriage body panels come from the factory with an E-Coating and that is all that's needed. Other parts are simply going to rust because of iron content in them, like the axle, driveshaft, headers. The axle you paint, the driveshaft could be replaced with an aluminum one. The headers with coated LT's, but they could still rust in time. The rest of parts are simply too small to bother with.

But, no way, allow anyone to spray any type of coatings or rustproof crap under there. All they do is make a mess and offer little, if not any help, some times they trap water.

There are photos of our undercarriages on the links in sig.
Old 9/13/06, 06:00 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't live where salt is needed on the ground. If I did,I would be constantly cleaning. As it stands now,I don't touch the underneath. i've gotta have some sort of life outside the Stang...or do I
Old 9/13/06, 07:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you really want to spend some time getting the underneath clean and covered, use por-15. You can't beat it. Just use the metal cleaner, then spread the por-15 on and your good to go.

http://www.por-15.com
Old 9/14/06, 07:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm sure you will get alot of suggestions regarding this subject. Those times when I think the under carriage needs some work, I use a hose sprayer with Simple Green since its non-toxic and won't "eat" into anything and then rinse.
Old 9/14/06, 10:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ranger
I'm sure you will get alot of suggestions regarding this subject. Those times when I think the under carriage needs some work, I use a hose sprayer with Simple Green since its non-toxic and won't "eat" into anything and then rinse.
Yep, Ed hit the nail on the head I drive my Mustang everyday even in the rain. Everytime I wash the car (which is at least once a week) I spray the hose under the car as far as it will go to try and keep the road grim from building up too much.

It worked for my Cobra it should work for the GT
Old 12/9/06, 12:36 PM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Simple Green is rumored to chew away the anodizing on certain aluminum surfaces, and rumored to pit aluminum. There is a special Aviation grade Simple Green that is suitable for use on aluminum materials though.
Old 12/10/06, 08:10 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by metroplex
Simple Green is rumored to chew away the anodizing on certain aluminum surfaces, and rumored to pit aluminum. There is a special Aviation grade Simple Green that is suitable for use on aluminum materials though.
Great .I've sprayed this stuff under my car a few times..Hope its O.K.
Old 12/10/06, 08:13 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I think the only major components made of aluminum in the GT are the transmission housing and engine block that are accessible from under the vehicle. The driveshaft, axle housing, and underbody are steel or alloys. The hood is also aluminum.
Old 12/10/06, 09:25 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I take mine through the the mobil car wash once a month the clean the undercarriage. It's just a spray wash