Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

How many car washes until re-polish

Search this Thread

Old 2/18/07, 10:32 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How many car washes until re-polish

I am using Meguiars NXT wax and I first applied it three weeks ago after I brought my car home from the dealership. That was the first ever coat of wax on the brand new paint, and since then I have washed it twice. How many washes should I go before waxing it again? Do I have to buy scratch X or some other product to remove the old wax before waxing it again? This is a brand new car (one month old) and I'm trying to do everything I can to keep it looking that way...

thanks for the help,
~Ray
Old 2/19/07, 06:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
I do mine 3 to 4 times a year. if you have not claybared it yet, the next time you get ready to wax clay bar it first wash then wax. you will be amazed at how much smoother and how much more shine you get after clay bar and wax.
Old 2/19/07, 08:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I've never used a claybar, so I'm not an expert on it, but shouldn't you first wash your car, then claybar it, then wash again and then wax it? If you use a claybar on a dirty car (dust, dirt ) might you scratch it? . Just wondering.
Old 2/19/07, 09:26 AM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarpi
I've never used a claybar, so I'm not an expert on it, but shouldn't you first wash your car, then claybar it, then wash again and then wax it? If you use a claybar on a dirty car (dust, dirt ) might you scratch it? . Just wondering.
You are correct.
Old 2/19/07, 10:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
yep sorry!! I should know better than to assume they would know to wash the car/truck before the clay bar action. Of course I said the next time you get ready to wax thinking you would have the car washed before a waxin also.... So in closing wash the car clay bar it then wash it again then wax it .................. then look cool in your shinny car
Old 2/19/07, 12:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Thanks, I just wanted to mention it so the person that started this thread doesn't go out and claybar without washing first. But it would be common sense to wash the car first.
Old 2/19/07, 02:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have only washed my car once since Sept 15th It only comes out on sunny days!
Old 2/19/07, 05:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

These beautiful cars are meant to be driven people....
Old 2/19/07, 11:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by flashfearless
These beautiful cars are meant to be driven people....
I agree, that's why mine is a daily driver. Well... almost a daily driver. From March - October only. There's only so much abuse I'm willing to subject it to.

But back to the topic.... when does the car need to be waxed again? The Meguiar's test is to take a very soft, dry, cotton terry towel and fold it several times. Press it firmly against the car with the palm of your hand and twist your wrist. If it squeeks it's still good. Or is it, if it doesn't squeek it's good. Hmmm...... anyways, should be good for minimum 6 weeks.

This much I do know, if you don't see any spider-webbing (also known as fine scratches or swirls) you don't need Scratch-X. The claybar will remove any residual wax that is still on the paint.

A great place to learn auto care is www.autopia.org
Old 2/24/07, 10:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
wax

I wash mine regularly and wax once a month in warm weather, but does wax really do a clear coat finish any good? Are there specific products for clear coat?
Old 2/25/07, 01:08 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by I-70 west
I wash mine regularly and wax once a month in warm weather, but does wax really do a clear coat finish any good? Are there specific products for clear coat?

Wax protects your finish... be it a a one-stage (no clearcoat) or two-stage (base coat plus clear). All cars that are exposed to the elements should be waxed reguarly... how often varies depending on exposure and washing frequency and if it sits out in the rain, etc.

Most any one-step finish care product you buy these days from Mothers (Carnauba Cleaner Wax, FX SynWax, etc.) or Meguiar's (NXT, Cleaner Wax, etc.), and so on, are safe for all paints. There are also 3-step systems from these manufacturers, and they're safe, too. There's generally little risk of wax build-up, so there's generally no reason to "remove" the old wax -- it'll go away as part of the re-waxing process.

If you haven't ever clayed, it's a good idea to clay once or twice a year as it removes bonded contaminants from the surface which can ultimately damage your finish. You don't need to wash again after claying, but you should wax (since it removes wax, of course, along with the contaminants). Mothers includes a cleaner wax in their Clay Bar Paint Saving System, as does Meguiar's in their Smooth Surface kit. All of the over-the-counter kits have a good clay bar.

For many cars a cleaner wax is fine; use multiple steps if you have more ambition or other finish problems, but that's another thread.