Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Drove through hydraulic or brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 9/13/06, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove through hydraulic or brake fluid

I was getting on I-5 this morning from Battle Ground WA, and noticed the on-ramp was wet. My rear end slipped a little and I noticed a very strong hydraulic fluid odor in the air. I noticed the strong smell for about 1/2 mile. My immediate reaction was to turn around and go back home to hose off the car, but I had some really important meetings at work and decided against the hose spray off.

When I parked at work I checked the fender areas and didn't see or feel and fluid. When I get home late tonight I plan on hosing the entire car including the undercarriage.

I'm not sure if I will have any problems but don't want to take any chances.

Are there any other suggestions for reducing the possibility of having any paint damage from this?

Thanks in advance..

(formerly) GTLess
Old 9/13/06, 03:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTLess
I was getting on I-5 this morning from Battle Ground WA, and noticed the on-ramp was wet. My rear end slipped a little and I noticed a very strong hydraulic fluid odor in the air. I noticed the strong smell for about 1/2 mile. My immediate reaction was to turn around and go back home to hose off the car, but I had some really important meetings at work and decided against the hose spray off.

When I parked at work I checked the fender areas and didn't see or feel and fluid. When I get home late tonight I plan on hosing the entire car including the undercarriage.

I'm not sure if I will have any problems but don't want to take any chances.

Are there any other suggestions for reducing the possibility of having any paint damage from this?

Thanks in advance..

(formerly) GTLess
If it was waxed, then you shouldn't have any problems. Just wash it good and re-wax.
Old 9/13/06, 03:23 PM

Thanks SteelTownStang, I waxed it a couple of weeks ago. It is nice to get some advice from a Steelers fan. I was born in Pittsburgh, but have lived in SW Washington since 1968.

As you can imagine, I wasn't very popular around here during the last Super Bowl.

(formerly) GTLess
Old 9/13/06, 08:59 PM

I hope it wasn't brake fluid. I don't care what wax you use; if you get brake fluid on your paint it will most likely bubble the paint and/or strip it off.
Old 9/14/06, 10:37 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1

Brake fluid will take your paint off. Hopefully it was just some kind of hydraulic oil, if that's the case, its nothing more than a wash to take it off.
Old 9/14/06, 12:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I have to agree with the above, brake fluid is some pretty harsh stuff when it comes in contact with your paint.

I don't know what color paint you have, but if it's light (PW, LL, WB, or SY), the fluid stain will be quite visible. Keep an eye on the lower panels and rocker. If present, a good detailer may be able to help you out.
Old 9/14/06, 02:11 PM
Cobra Member

If someone had a hydrolic clutch that blew out it's slave cylider... that's probably slaving off the brakes.... which would make it brake fluid. And... brake fluid's bad.. m'kuy... if you do brake fluid.. you're bad... m'kuy.

If it was a garbage truck or a tow truck or something that actually uses hydrolics... you should be fine.
Old 9/15/06, 12:09 PM

Thanks for everyone's responses. Due to the volume of fluid on the on-ramp, I am thinking it probably wasn't brake fluid. It did have the distinct smell of hydrualic fluid. I have experienced the strong smell of hydraulic fluid once before and that was on a United flight preparing to land in SF, but that's another story.

(formerly) GTLess