Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Will sun cause dash to fade?

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/06, 10:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will sun cause dash to fade?

Just wondering if it's worth using a windshield sunshade in the winter to protect the upper dash. Down here in NC, it may be cold in the winter, but it's still sunny!
Old 9/12/06, 12:00 PM
Bullitt Member

I would put it up....if it's sunny or even looks like it might get sunny I will put mine up.
Old 9/12/06, 12:05 PM
GT Member

How about in the back window? Is there anything to protect against the carpet on the back ledge from fading? *well beside window tint*
Old 9/12/06, 03:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have a black Dash Mat on my dash. Looks good and protects the dash from the sun. I still use a windshield sunshade to keep the heat out when the top is up. I think someone (not Dash Mat) makes rear deck covers, but don't quote me on that!
Old 9/12/06, 04:02 PM
Bullitt Member

RASH - Do NOT under any circumstance bring the 'stang out when the roads get icey or snowy. The Yahoos down here ( from all over the country, but mostly up north ) think they can drive like they do back home. The problem is that " Back home" they treat the roads more aggressively and although they get way more ice and snow, they deal with it WAY better. An inch of snow here is worse than a foot up North.
Old 9/13/06, 06:04 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put that window cover up everyday like your life depended on it
Old 9/13/06, 08:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MY05GT
RASH - Do NOT under any circumstance bring the 'stang out when the roads get icey or snowy. The Yahoos down here ( from all over the country, but mostly up north ) think they can drive like they do back home. The problem is that " Back home" they treat the roads more aggressively and although they get way more ice and snow, they deal with it WAY better. An inch of snow here is worse than a foot up North.
Actually, I'm one of those northerners (although I've been here for 11 years now), and my view differs a bit. First off, at even the slightest hint of the possibilty of snow, the whole state shuts down and all the bread, bottled water, and batteries sell out in hours. Schools shut down, businesses close, etc. And this is BEFORE it even snows. I've seen all that happen and it never snows. It's ridiculous. Every winter there's a least one day where they forecast possible snow, all my patients cancel (I'm an eye doc), and it never snows. So many businesses lose so much money and so many parents are inconvenienced because of the overreaction to snow down here.

Point is, that same overreaction applies when the locals drive in the white stuff. They slam on their brakes instead of pumping them and end up in ditches or rear ending someone. They overreact to a slight fishtail, overcorrect, and boom. They don't have the experience to drive in even a small amount of snow.

That's not to say that there aren't overly confident northerners causing problems - there certainly are. In particular, we get much more ice down here, and they think you can drive in that the same way you drive in snow. Wrong. Boom.

So you're right - best to stay off the roads with the stang down here when it snows!
Old 9/13/06, 08:29 PM
Bullitt Member

I am a transplant also ( born in Mass ). In my opinion it is more the poor road conditions and maintenance that causes the problems. The transplants assume the roads are treated as well as up north. I forgot to add the part about the locals who never learned to drive in the snow. When I was stationed in Millington TN, I saw a guy trying to pull into a spot in an icey parking lot. His tires were spinning at about 30 and he was moving at about 2, he was lucky and never got traction.

Also, the bread milk and eggs thing kills me. Is there some unwritten rule that everyone is supposed to have french toast the day of a snowstorm. I don't remember that from growing up.
Old 9/14/06, 05:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MY05GT
Also, the bread milk and eggs thing kills me. Is there some unwritten rule that everyone is supposed to have french toast the day of a snowstorm. I don't remember that from growing up.
Old 9/14/06, 07:10 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm another Yankee living in NC. I moved here from Washington DC about 2 years ago. A agree with everyone about putting up the windshield screen. Also using a good protectant (Armorall) will help prevent fade.
As far as how they deal with the winters in NC, it's the only place I've seen them close the schools because it RAINED!
Old 9/14/06, 07:43 AM
KdF
Bullitt Member

NEVER , NEVER , NEVER

EVER , EVER , EVER use Armorall!!!

It`s crack for your car!

Dries out the vynil faster than the sun itself!!!!
Old 9/14/06, 08:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CANES fan
I'm another Yankee living in NC. I moved here from Washington DC about 2 years ago. A agree with everyone about putting up the windshield screen. Also using a good protectant (Armorall) will help prevent fade.
As far as the Armorall, I don't like the glossy shine and oily feel it provides. Anyone know of a good dash protectant that doen't shine and isn't oily? (Anyone who says "windshield screen" is officially a smart a**).
Old 9/14/06, 10:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
spf-40 Just kidding.... check this place http://www.autopia-carcare.com/
That site has a lot of great info and some of their products arnt half bad either.
Old 9/14/06, 10:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I use Mother's Protectant. Works great. Used to use Armorall several years ago. It actually would remove the paint from my "original" vinyl top!!
Old 9/14/06, 11:02 AM
Bullitt Member

The dash is solid plastic...why would you put upholstery conditioner on it? Makes no sense. Just use common sense. Park in the shade of a building if you can, and put your sunshade up - it'll protect more than your dash.
Old 9/14/06, 11:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Bingo
The dash is solid plastic....

easy to replace should it fade or crack...

haha
Old 9/14/06, 11:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Bingo
The dash is solid plastic...why would you put upholstery conditioner on it? Makes no sense. Just use common sense. Park in the shade of a building if you can, and put your sunshade up - it'll protect more than your dash.
I can't park in the shade, and using the sunshade is a pain at times, especailly when I'm late and my first patient is already P.O'd (which happens too often). Some secondary protection would be helpful. I'm not looking for conditioner, just UV protection that isn'y glossy or oily.
Old 9/14/06, 11:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Direct from Wax Station website:

Our Protectant is a penetrating UV blocker, effective on rubber, vinyl, plastic and fiberglass. Constructed to recondition and maintain the original condition and appearance of dashboards, vinyl, bumpers, trim, tires and more. Preserves Protectant isn't an oily surface-coating film. It's an ozone and smog resisting, UV shielding penetrant a preservation agent that works on just about any uncoated plastic or rubber.

This product was formerly named Preserves Protectant but it is still the same product you have known and trusted to protect your trim parts and, as always, will never promote cracking of your dashboard.

This is why I use it on my plastic parts including the dashboard.
Old 9/14/06, 12:52 PM
Cobra Member

I use 303 on my dash... very nice... but I like Armor All's new formula too... they changed something in it... but yes the Autopia site has TONS of info about this.
Old 9/14/06, 02:13 PM
Cobra Member

Here is an interesting page at the USM Polymer Science Learning Center about why dashboards crack. The last paragraph is about ArmorAll...

Old soft vinyl dashes dry out and crack because the plasticizers (chemicals that make the plastic soft) dissapate in UV light exposure. However, the hard plastic dashboard in the S197 doesn't have plasticizers to make it soft, so it should be much more durable.

Quick Reply: Will sun cause dash to fade?