Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Clay Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/05, 01:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a huge waterspot on the up side of my trunk right in front of the spolier.. I heard using clay bar will work but i've also heard that will remove the clearcoat and possibly the paint.. But i'm not sure if thats true or not. So please give me some assistance.. And also how much does it cost?
Old 8/10/05, 02:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Pitch Black@August 10, 2005, 3:47 PM
I have a huge waterspot on the up side of my trunk right in front of the spolier.. I heard using clay bar will work but i've also heard that will remove the clearcoat and possibly the paint.. But i'm not sure if thats true or not. So please give me some assistance.. And also how much does it cost?
A Clay bar won't remove the clear coat, it's supposed to just clean the junk that's imbedded in it.

Both Mothers & Maguiars sell "Clay bar kits” that come with quick detailers which you use as the lube when using the clay bar. DO NOT use the clay bar dry as it'll make a mess.

I myself bought the Zaino clay bars. But the kits mentioned above are about $26 cdn (which is about $18us or so). Well worth it.

The Clay bar will remove your wax/polish though so make sure you re-wax that spot. Be warned though once you feel how smooth it is, you might do your entire car
Old 8/10/05, 02:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have Maguars wax. : Thanks. I'll be out to buy one soon
Old 8/10/05, 02:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Fastrack@August 10, 2005, 2:04 PM
A Clay bar won't remove the clear coat, it's supposed to just clean the junk that's imbedded in it.

Both Mothers & Maguiars sell "Clay bar kits” that come with quick detailers which you use as the lube when using the clay bar. DO NOT use the clay bar dry as it'll make a mess.

I myself bought the Zaino clay bars. But the kits mentioned above are about $26 cdn (which is about $18us or so). Well worth it.

The Clay bar will remove your wax/polish though so make sure you re-wax that spot. Be warned though once you feel how smooth it is, you might do your entire car
I'm not exactly sure if the claybar will remove the polish/wax. The instructions from Zaino said to wash the car with Dawn dish soap before clay barring to remove the polish/wax. But, you could be right, using the clay bar w/out the dish soap first, may also remove the polish/wax.

Either way, you are right, for the original question, the clay bar will not hurt the clear coat
Old 8/10/05, 02:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Pitch Black@August 10, 2005, 1:47 PM
I clay bar'd and waxed mine with the Meguire's and it turned out great.
Old 8/10/05, 03:02 PM
Banned

Originally posted by moc1976@August 10, 2005, 4:16 PM
I'm not exactly sure if the claybar will remove the polish/wax. The instructions from Zaino said to wash the car with Dawn dish soap before clay barring to remove the polish/wax. But, you could be right, using the clay bar w/out the dish soap first, may also remove the polish/wax.

Either way, you are right, for the original question, the clay bar will not hurt the clear coat

I've never actually read it removes the wax but it makes sense to me. As it pulls the crap out of the paint. Maybe the logic of using dawn is so the clay bar doesn't get filled up with the old wax/polish
Old 8/10/05, 03:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Sorry to start a debate but i'm just terrifed to do anything to my car.. I bought Mircofiber towels so when i wash it can towel dry it an not worry bout any scratches.. My old hobby was programming sites and modifiing them .. My New hobby is my baby.. cleaning and taking care and adding mods.
But thanks for answering my question.. i also have another dose liqud wax work like the rest or which would be best to wax after clay barin it?
Old 8/10/05, 04:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

ive got the zaino claybar. works great, easy to use and man what a mirror finish afterwards. jsut make sure to rewax everything.
Old 8/10/05, 04:48 PM
GT Member

Go to Autozone, they sell the claymagic claybar kit for like $10.00. It includes a detailing spray and enough clay to do your entire car several times.

As long as you make sure to clean your car THOROUGHLY before using your clay. The claybar will not scratch your car or remove any paint. If you drop the clay on the ground THROW IT AWAY, do not use it again. Its best to take the large claybar and cut it into several pieces. That way if you do drop a piece you have not wasted the whole bar.

I did my entire car the second day I had it to remove all of the rail dust. It looked and felt Amazing! So now whenever i get a bug splatter or other weird stuff on the finish I just break out the clay bar. Makes it look as good as new.
Old 8/10/05, 05:21 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should remove the wax before using the clay bar. It does a better job this way, and as others said it will not damage the clearcoat. That water spot might only be in the wax and may come out just by removing the wax with dawn liquid detergent and rewaxing the area.
Old 8/10/05, 07:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Is their a site to give me like step-by-step instructions? I'm so scared of screwing it up.. This is the first car i've really cared bout :?
so as much as i hate to say it i'm a nOOb
Old 8/10/05, 07:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Pitch Black@August 10, 2005, 7:19 PM
Is their a site to give me like step-by-step instructions? I'm so scared of screwing it up.. This is the first car i've really cared bout :?
so as much as i hate to say it i'm a nOOb

Here's a link to the Zaino site... they explain in step 2 how to use the clay bar:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/mercha...ode=APPLICATION

It's really very simple, and the clay won't mess up your paint or clear coat at all. Just remember a few things:

1. work in small areas on the car
2. keep the area you're working on lubricated (with the spray mixture)
3. don't worry about getting the residue off - just wash the car again when you're done
4. don't let the clay bar touch the ground - while the clay bar won't harm the surface of the car, if you get dirt/rocks/etc. from the ground on it, then it will
Old 8/10/05, 07:44 PM
I Have Admin Envy

I just claybarred my Mustang with a zaino kit this past weekend.

It is very easy. I found the best results came from soaking the area down with lubricant (in my case car wash & water). I held the claybar between my two middle fingers and let the outside ones feel the paint. Apply a bit of pressure and you will actually feel the paint get smoother as you go on your outside fingers.

The results are amazing.. good luck... don't be afraid.

One tip.. make sure the area you claybar does not get dry.
Old 8/11/05, 05:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Another tip, fold and message the claybar often. You always want to keep a "clean" surface of the claybar against your car. I do it every time a move to a new spot.
Old 8/11/05, 01:21 PM
V6 Member

Proper Auto Care

Try this site a lot of good information.

Some water spots can be removed but probably not with a clay bar Its more for removing overspray and tree sap or anything that you can feel on the paint after you wash it. You need to get Porter Cable 7424 (best tool I ever bought) with the proper pads and polish some water spots can be removed as well as lite scratches and swirls. And its pretty safe to use . If that doesnt get it you have to use a circular polisher but these are not for the novice and take some practice to avoid damaging you paint .
I've used some of the Pinnacle line (very expensive) and the Menzena line
works pretty well for me along with an assortment of different pads and microfiber cloths and claybay no swirls in my balck at all. Also make sure you use a good car wash soap there is a difference between th $2 bottle and the $20 bottle. Good luck.