Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Car Detailing 101

Search this Thread

Old 1/1/12, 03:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost

I use the light blue waffle weave towels and they work great. Hold a ton of water and are large enough to do a full car.
I have light blue ones too but don't work too well. I think they're probably generic ones b/c they were really cheap compared to the ones online I'm considering.
Old 1/1/12, 04:53 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll post a link when i get back to a computer.
Old 1/1/12, 05:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Cool thanks.

Scratch what I said about Detailedimage.com earlier... Shipping was $12. I ended buying ONR @ autogeek.com. Total was $20 shipped. They have a 20% discount too today.
Old 1/1/12, 11:34 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great write up. Im an avid detailer myself, i find myself at peace when i clean up my car. Just focusing and taking my time to get that flawless finish.
Just cleaned up my ride this morning, full detail from wash to sealant and everythin in between! Clay bar everything after washing, once over with Ultima waterless wash, klasse polish, klasse sealant, pinnacle souveran.
Sorry if quality isnt the best, theyre cell phone pics
Attached Images           
Old 1/2/12, 08:00 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Hytek
Cool thanks.

Scratch what I said about Detailedimage.com earlier... Shipping was $12. I ended buying ONR @ autogeek.com. Total was $20 shipped. They have a 20% discount too today.
Guys... be careful with waffle weaves. They tend to be rougher, and can marr paint, esp during drying. There just seems to be more friction with those. I use the Chemical Guys blue towels... I forget the name. They're thick, with good sized naps to trap dirt and lift it from the paint surface.

Originally Posted by CCTking
Great write up. Im an avid detailer myself, i find myself at peace when i clean up my car. Just focusing and taking my time to get that flawless finish.
Just cleaned up my ride this morning, full detail from wash to sealant and everythin in between! Clay bar everything after washing, once over with Ultima waterless wash, klasse polish, klasse sealant, pinnacle souveran.
Sorry if quality isnt the best, theyre cell phone pics
Beautiful white Stang man... you make me miss my 370Z. So with your procedure above? Did you just do everything by hand? So no polish? No buff? Either way, nice work.
Old 1/2/12, 08:34 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok heres what i did in order an yes all by hand, my arms are VERY tired haha

Wash with two bucket method and a bit of Ultima wash concentrate
Metro Vac to mostly dry the car then use clean MF to finish off any leftover moisture
Clay bar with Ulatima waterless wash plus as lubricant and buff each section with MF
One panel at a time apply Klasse All-In-One Polish, buff with two clean MF's, two passes. Stuff should be wiped off as you finish each panel, apply very thinly.
After that do the full car with a coat of Klasse Sealant. Let it sit for a while, good things come to those who wait! Again apply very thinly, a little goes a long way
As i let that cure i take care of the windows with Eagle One window cleaner for the first pass then Invisible glass with rain repellant for the second and clean waffle weave MF's
Next i clean the tires with croftgateusa tire cleaner/dressing, rims are hit with multi-clean made by the same company.
After lettin the sealant i let it sit for about 45-60 minutes (longer the better woth this stuff) i buff off the same way as with the Polish. Two MF's, one for each pass on the car. I use te sealant everywhere, even door jambs and the gutter around the trunk. This is enough for about 4-6 months but i went the extra mile yesterday. Added a layer of collinite 915 wax, buffed that off in one pass, then topped everything off with a layer of liquid Pinnacle souveran wax. All layers of polish, sealant, 915, and Pinnacle are applied thinly, especially with the Klasse products.
Took about 4 hours from start to finish but this was all by hand and a job like this is only needed twice a year at most. For touch ups i use the Ultima waterless plus, gets things clean and has a Polycharger right in the formula so the finish remains slicker than oil.
If done right there should be no "shadows" marks, swirls, streaks, should be flawless and shining. If the same process is done by machine then time should be cut in half.
Hope some of this helps out!
Old 1/2/12, 10:42 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
Cool thanks.

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...00/36-x-24-S1/

Two of these do a great job. I usually cycle between them. I'd like to get 3-4 more of them. I used to use the water blade on the entire car but quit. I just use the blade on the glass, then dry the rest of the car off with the MF towels.
Old 1/2/12, 11:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Two of these do a great job. I usually cycle between them. I'd like to get 3-4 more of them. I used to use the water blade on the entire car but quit. I just use the blade on the glass, then dry the rest of the car off with the MF towels.
Thanks. Mine are real similar but suck. I'm going to look into the one's OP reccommends too.
Old 1/20/12, 04:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the guzzler waffle weave towels. I have the really large one (supreme guzzler?) and it will do a whole car spot free.
Old 1/20/12, 05:10 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
I like the guzzler waffle weave towels. I have the really large one (supreme guzzler?) and it will do a whole car spot free.
Sorry, with a name like "the guzzler", I just can't take them seriously.
Old 1/20/12, 05:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Lol probably one of the best WW I've used. Made by Cobra.
Old 1/20/12, 05:46 PM
sai
GT Member

Hello

I just bought a 12 gt racered with brembo,

Can someone suggest a washmit, shampoo and wheel brush
Old 1/20/12, 05:53 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by sai
Hello

I just bought a 12 gt racered with brembo,

Can someone suggest a washmit, shampoo and wheel brush
Look at the Griots 2 pack of wash mitts:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

Get yourself a Swissvax wheel and EZ detail brush for the wheels:
Amazon.com: Swissvax SE1054090 Wheel Cleaning Brush: Automotive Amazon.com: Swissvax SE1054090 Wheel Cleaning Brush: Automotive
Amazon.com: EZ Detail Brush: Automotive Amazon.com: EZ Detail Brush: Automotive

For shampoo, I like Meg's Gold Class, but Marc recommended Dodo Juice Supernatural because it dilutes down to 1200:1, where the others are usually only 128:1.

Last edited by Overboost; 1/20/12 at 07:27 PM.
Old 1/24/12, 12:10 PM
sai
GT Member

Look at the Griots 2 pack of wash mitts:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

Get yourself a Swissvax wheel and EZ detail brush for the wheels:
Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Swissvax-SE1054090-Wheel-Cleaning-Brush/dp/B004TRC5E4
Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/EZ-Air-Detail-Brush/dp/B002LOP5IA

For shampoo, I like Meg's Gold Class, but Marc recommended Dodo Juice Supernatural because it dilutes down to 1200:1, where the others are usually only 128:1.
Ok thanks, are these items enough or should I go with colette detailing kit ?
Old 1/24/12, 12:25 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by sai
Ok thanks, are these items enough or should I go with colette detailing kit ?
Got a link to said detailing kit? I'd have to look at it to answer you better.
Old 1/24/12, 12:30 PM
sai
GT Member

Got a link to said detailing kit? I'd have to look at it to answer you better.
Sorry it's a typo , I mean complete detailing kit, I am trying to keep the car without scratching As long as I can and I need some basic stuff like washmit, tire and rim brush, also some wax for paint and wax applicator sponges, pls suggest
Old 1/24/12, 01:10 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by sai
Sorry it's a typo , I mean complete detailing kit, I am trying to keep the car without scratching As long as I can and I need some basic stuff like washmit, tire and rim brush, also some wax for paint and wax applicator sponges, pls suggest
Well, I started you off with wash mitts and wheel/tire brushes. I'd also recommend two 5-gal buckets and two Grit Guards in addition. That should cover the washing aspect.

I mentioned some MF towels and waffle weave drying towels in another thread:

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...05/16-x-16-S1/

I've got a dozen of those for wax removal. Compared to the bulk MF towels it's night & day different. Watch for a sale or coupon code.

I use these on the painted surfaces after I wipe the glass down with a silicone water blade. Two of them easily handles a dripping wet car. If you sheet the water off the car properly, you can only use one.
Old 1/24/12, 01:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Just a heads up. Detailed Image has free shipping with code: FreeShip112 until 1/28.
Old 1/24/12, 02:32 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Overboost has a good start. Go with 2 buckets/gritguards as a start. Get fresh Mitts and fresh towels, then use common sense when washing. Simple rule: if you rub dirt on the surface of your car, you scratch/marr.

Btw, another good rule, I have at least 3 different Mitts. One for above the car, one for horizontal panels, one for lower panels, one for rims, etc

Last edited by FromZto5; 1/25/12 at 09:29 PM.
Old 1/25/12, 09:54 AM
sai
GT Member

placed an order with all the above stuff except the clothes,I need a good carwash shampoo as well

Quick Reply: Car Detailing 101