Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Car Detailing 101

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/16, 04:46 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by MadcapMagician
Wow, I have been washing my car all wrong. I use a brush on my yellow blaze 2011 Mustang GT convertible . I use B2B on all the black and Meguiars Tech 2.0 wax. I wash the car with hot water and some dawn pin a bucket without a grit guard. Could one of you guys steer me in the right direction? If I am doing something stupid let me know...I am a man.... Not looking to put anyone's kid through college with purchasing a load of new stuff.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Originally Posted by FromZto5
^ Ditch the brush. Buy a soft MF mitt to wash. Don't use Dawn unless you're stripping LSPs. Buy a buffer, pads, polish, and several MF's to paint correct your car and remove swirls. Then buy some LSP's to protect your car afterwards.

Totally agree with Zto5. A buffer (and related stuff) can be your best friend. It seems intimidating, especially a circular buffer, but a good DA (dual action) is fairly easy to learn, and if you have surface swirls and scratches it's the only way you'll get it done.

I hope you mean that your brush is used on the convertible top, carpeting, or tires. It should never come in contact with the surface.

There are no shortcuts to maintaining the appearance of your car. There are a million different product brands and just as many opinions of which ones work best. The detailing process isn't cheap, but it doesn't have to break the bank either. It does require some investment and commitment though.

But regardless of the cost of your detail supply stash, it's cheaper than spending $300-$500 once a year (or more) to have a professional detailer correct mistakes.

Good luck. YB is a great color. Be thankful you don't have to detail a black Mustasng.