Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Best Method for Removing Water-Spots

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/13 | 09:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

If you have a water softener run a hose off your indoor hot water system. That's what I'm thinking of trying. Last time I washed with water from the outside I had spots everywhere. Sux
Old 10/1/13 | 10:42 PM
Post *****

I have very hard water from a well. Even through the softener I'm getting a very faint film on the car and it's pissing me off. I'm to the point that if I want to wash my cars at home I've got to buy a deionizer setup like the one above or lately I've been thinking of getting an 800 gallon tank and trapping the rain waiter off the roof of the shop I'm gonna build and using that. I know it won't be hard water then but I'm not sure about how well the water will stay fresh in that tank. I'm not gonna be drinking it but would it be safe for the cars if just run through a sediment filter.

It's gotten to the point that I drive the cars less because I don't want them to get dirty and have to get washed.

Otherwise I'm gonna have to go to a self serve car wash or something. It seems like my current softened water is eating any of the wax on the car because it can be slick as Teflon before it gets dirty and then when I wash it it's back to being just like any other car on the road and you can't rub your fingers across it without them squeaking.

Old 10/1/13 | 11:38 PM
GT Member

Go to your local honda motorcycle dealer and pick up a can of their spray "honda cleaner"

I use it every time after i wash my car, and not only does it take off water spots it shines really nice. And you can pretty much use it on any surface.
Old 10/2/13 | 12:24 AM
FR500 Member

"Honda cleaner."
On the Mustang.....

I think im gonna
Old 10/2/13 | 12:58 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I have very hard water from a well. Even through the softener I'm getting a very faint film on the car and it's pissing me off. I'm to the point that if I want to wash my cars at home I've got to buy a deionizer setup like the one above or lately I've been thinking of getting an 800 gallon tank and trapping the rain waiter off the roof of the shop I'm gonna build and using that. I know it won't be hard water then but I'm not sure about how well the water will stay fresh in that tank. I'm not gonna be drinking it but would it be safe for the cars if just run through a sediment filter.

It's gotten to the point that I drive the cars less because I don't want them to get dirty and have to get washed.

White people problems with baller solutions.
Old 10/2/13 | 03:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wilson68944
Oh man, I know, I'll never buy a black car again. I've managed to swirl it up pretty good whilst trying to learn the best washing and drying methods. I will get the car nicely detailed in the spring to removed them.

What about a camois towels? Forgive my misspelling.

I've heard a quick spray of Meguiar's detailing and going over it with a towel should do the trick from others as well.

I've seen water spot removers online as well from chemical guys. Curious if they work.

I will def try the two bucket with grit guard next time. I've been reading up and watching videos on "proper techniques" and it is over whelming. Must respect to the guys who put hours into it but I'm more of a thorough wash and spray wax guy with a once a year detail.
Having had a black car, I learned a lot about washing and polishing over the years. They look wonderful when clean (for the first 30 minutes after a wash) but work the **** out of you maintaining them. Much of what is said in this post is very helpful, especially the ionizer! But there is a trick you can use during your final rinse to help minimize water spotting.

Most people spray their car to rinse the soap off, then dry with a couple microfiber towels. That's okay, but the spraying makes a lot of droplets all over the place! I suggest using a nozzle that can be adjusted to flood water in a slow steady stream, or just take the nozzle off the hose. Turn the water on (about 1/4 or less) so it comes out in a weak stream. Start rinsing at the roof holding the hose fairly close to the surface and pour the water on moving slowly from one edge to the other. Continue over the hood and trunk lid, then down the sides, rear and front. You can even do the wheels this way.

By using the slow flow, the water's own surface tension will pull most of the water drops off the car leaving relatively little to dry up. I thought it was BS when I heard about it. But it really is surprising how effective this simple tactic can be! Try it!
Old 10/2/13 | 06:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by El Coyote GT/CS

Having had a black car, I learned a lot about washing and polishing over the years. They look wonderful when clean (for the first 30 minutes after a wash) but work the **** out of you maintaining them. Much of what is said in this post is very helpful, especially the ionizer! But there is a trick you can use during your final rinse to help minimize water spotting.

Most people spray their car to rinse the soap off, then dry with a couple microfiber towels. That's okay, but the spraying makes a lot of droplets all over the place! I suggest using a nozzle that can be adjusted to flood water in a slow steady stream, or just take the nozzle off the hose. Turn the water on (about 1/4 or less) so it comes out in a weak stream. Start rinsing at the roof holding the hose fairly close to the surface and pour the water on moving slowly from one edge to the other. Continue over the hood and trunk lid, then down the sides, rear and front. You can even do the wheels this way.

By using the slow flow, the water's own surface tension will pull most of the water drops off the car leaving relatively little to dry up. I thought it was BS when I heard about it. But it really is surprising how effective this simple tactic can be! Try it!
Ill try it. What's to loose.
Old 10/2/13 | 07:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

I always see car washes take compressed air and blow it around crevices... seems to work well! But, in Texas, I usually dry in the shade, and then leave in the sun for anything unseen to evaporate.
Old 10/2/13 | 07:09 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by GrnT
Ill try it. What's to loose.
It's works! I've been doing it for about 5 years. It also keeps the towel from getting soaked because most of the water just sheets right off the car.
Old 10/2/13 | 07:31 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by CCTking
"Honda cleaner."
On the Mustang.....

I think im gonna
I knew i wasnt the only one who thought that lol
Old 10/2/13 | 11:27 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
It's works! I've been doing it for about 5 years. It also keeps the towel from getting soaked because most of the water just sheets right off the car.
Been doing that for many years. I take the nozzle off and turn the water down.
Old 10/2/13 | 12:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
On another note, I wouldn't use spray detailers on my car. It's full of fillers that cover up most of the damage that you are doing to your finish rubbing it on and off your paint.

I don't know what detailers you use, but Meguires Quik Detailer is wax free and doesn't have any fillers or sealers. One thing it does include though is a water softener.

I wouldn't use it to clean a car, but it's fantastic at removing water spots. And as for the "damage" you are doing by lightly rubbing off a spray detailer with a soft microfiber cloth, it's no where near the amount of damage you are doing by using a sponge to wash the car, not to mention the damage you do by actually DRIVING your car and exposing it to wind-blown grit, oils, and other contaminates of the road.
Old 10/2/13 | 12:09 PM
FR500 Member

^ that last nit just makes me not wanna drive my car even more cuz i know its gonna get dirty. And i just detailed her this morning
Old 10/2/13 | 12:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Best way to remove water spots. Never wash it. Lmao.
Old 10/2/13 | 12:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Best way to remove water spots. Never wash it. Lmao.

Or............ don't rinse it.
Old 10/2/13 | 01:35 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
White people problems with baller solutions.
Gawdamm this is the funniest post I've read in a long time.
Old 10/2/13 | 02:50 PM
GT Member

I use a spray sealant called hybrid v7 by chemical brothers after each wash to seal and shine between waxing. It takes 10 minutes max and removes water stains like a champ. I used to dry it with a micro-fiber towel but found in the same amount of time I can seal it. Chem bros stuff is available on their site but any good spray detailer will work, Meguiars gold class spray is awesome too and only $10 or so. A bottle will last at least 7 or 8 washings.
Old 10/2/13 | 04:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by CCTking
"Honda cleaner."
On the Mustang.....

I think im gonna
Afraid of a name?

The stuff is amazing, usuable on any surface and it will do the job the op asked oh well.

Last edited by Praetorian730; 10/2/13 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10/6/13 | 06:32 PM
GT Member

We don't have hard water here, but I keep a good coat of wax on my car and I have very little water to dry off when I wash it. Everything just slides off except for the glass and the really flat areas. I would suggest using a coat of Meguiar's #2 Polish followed by a good coat of Mequiar's Gold Class Wax and finishing up with a final coat of Meguiar's Showcar Glaze. You'll have a great wax job that will turn water away for several washes. This process is going to take you an hour or so, but it's worth it. If your hard water just runs off, it shouldn't leave any spots behind. At least that's my logic in this puzzle.

Also, if you have a black car, I highly (HIGHLY) recommend the new Turtle Wax Black Wax. I used it on my wife's 2003 Miata and every surface scratch disappeared. I can't speak highly enough of it. Don't buy the kit with the applicators and the pre-wash. Just save your money and the get the Black Wax for about $9 at Walmart. Good stuff if you have a black car.

Just my two cents worth. I know you'll find a solution that works for you.
Old 10/6/13 | 07:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

I use Meguires black wax and it's great. I have no water spots. Mirror finish. Just have to make sure I don't get wax in those little front license plate drill hole markers :\

Quick Reply: Best Method for Removing Water-Spots