Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Anybody store their car outside with a cover?

Search this Thread

Old 2/18/08, 08:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stndbck
My GT is "stored" under a cover. I got it from the Dealer. Real nice fits wonderfully. Got a cable and lock setup for it as well.
I usually take the cover off of the car and after rolling it , put it in the back of my Explorer to store it. (Can only drive one at a time...) Car was clean when I put it under and was clean when I took it off the other day. I did a quick detail and California dusting before putting the cover back on. There is a hole for the antenna so that is not an issue.
The only problem I had was the 50 + mph wind we had which did flip over one of the corners, but it pretty much stayed in place.
I want that cover....what is the manufacture?

i will be coering my car at nite....is it pain in but? how long does it take to cover it up?
Old 2/19/08, 07:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Besides my 05 GT, I own an 02 GMC Yukon. The Mustang gets the garage (of course). My 02 Yukon is always in my driveway under a cover. The finish looks and feels like new. It is as smooth as glass and looks like a mirror. The cover only takes about two minutes to put on or take off and I store the cover in the back of the vehicle. Of course where I live it doesn't rain much and there is no snow but we have to deal with alot of sun and heat. If you live where you get alot of snow or rain, that could be a problem and I don't know how you would deal with the issue of taking off a wet or snow covered car cover and where to put it. But if you can figure that out and if you want your Mustang to stay like new, and you have to store it outside, always keep it covered. When I was working, and owned a Pontiac Bonneville, I even covered that car in my work parking lot daily and that car still looked like new after twelve years. I also think that covering a car is more important if you live in an area where there is alot of sun and heat. It works for me.
Old 2/19/08, 09:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 779 Likes on 568 Posts
I've always heard that moisture builds up under the cover when they are used outside??? I supose if its parked on blacktop or concrete its not so bad.
Old 2/19/08, 01:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I believe that you can buy better car covers that "breath" if moisture is a problem.
Old 2/19/08, 02:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I "store" my '86 SVO under a cover. I guess the biggest thing I learned is that the lock that I use for the cable will scratch the paint if a hard wind blows the cover loose.

So if you go this route, make sure you use a rubber coated lock or at least tape the lock to the cable to prevent it from touching the paint if a hard wind hits it.
Old 2/22/08, 05:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silverbull271
I want that cover....what is the manufacture?

i will be coering my car at nite....is it pain in but? how long does it take to cover it up?
The cover that Ford sells for the Shelby is a Covercraft Weathershield.