Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

the AGONY of discovering chips in your paint!

Search this Thread

Old 5/29/05, 03:19 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was washing my baby today and found 2 small chips on the hood. definately from taking road debris at high speeds. whats worse is that i have painted stripes and they are both on the stripes.

First phase is no more long highway trips until i get her teflon coated. I need to kick back on the mileage anyway. I think i may have everyone here beat with 3800 miles alittle over 1 month.

2nd phase is the part i need you guys help with. when a teflon coat is put on, is it buffed on, thus buffing out the chips? if not, would you guys advise getting the chips retouched by the paint shop before doing the teflon? i'm pretty sure it wont be more than a couple hundred bux to have it done as far as fixing the paint and it shouldnt take long either. teflon coat for the entire car is $375.

also, does the teflon coat REALLY help against stuff like this? i'm really kicking myself right now for not getting the teflon sooner.
Old 5/29/05, 03:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by BeOnEdge@May 29, 2005, 5:22 PM

i was washing my baby today and found 2 small chips on the hood. definately from taking road debris at high speeds. whats worse is that i have painted stripes and they are both on the stripes.

First phase is no more long highway trips until i get her teflon coated. I need to kick back on the mileage anyway. I think i may have everyone here beat with 3800 miles alittle over 1 month.

2nd phase is the part i need you guys help with. when a teflon coat is put on, is it buffed on, thus buffing out the chips? if not, would you guys advise getting the chips retouched by the paint shop before doing the teflon? i'm pretty sure it wont be more than a couple hundred bux to have it done as far as fixing the paint and it shouldnt take long either. teflon coat for the entire car is $375.

also, does the teflon coat REALLY help against stuff like this? i'm really kicking myself right now for not getting the teflon sooner.
Teflon will not take out the paint chips, I'd get them fixed first. Once that's done then consider some thing like 3M's clear bra, think there is a link on here about it some place. Lastly, as a previous detailer, don't waste your money on a teflon paint coat. Just wax the car on a regular basis and use a good cleaner and wax. Most people on here prefer Zanio (think I spelled that right) but I use either Zymol or Mothers High Tech Wax. Make sure your paint cleaner is clear coat safe!!!
Old 5/29/05, 04:13 PM
V6 Member

so a 3m clearcoat is stronger than a teflon coat? i may just do that to the complete front end.
Old 5/29/05, 04:13 PM
FR500 Member

Yeah, the Teflon is NOT going to protect you from chips caused by flying debris.

I have a question though. Is the chip all the way down to the metal? Is there more than one?

The reason I ask.

I know of one 2005 Mustang that was NOT baked at the factory. They did a pressure test on it to detemine if the paint job was in fact defective and it failed. They deducted that the paint was not baked, and the car had to be repainted.
Old 5/29/05, 04:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

i got a few right down to the metal already and 2 more on the plastic bumper
Old 5/29/05, 04:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by BeOnEdge@May 29, 2005, 6:16 PM
so a 3m clearcoat is stronger than a teflon coat? i may just do that to the complete front end.
The 3M clear bra is not a clear coat paint. It's a chip resistant film that gets applied like window tint. I know there is thread here on this but I can't find the darn thing!!!! :bang:

Edit: Found it!!!! Two links for ya!!!

Invicta Shield

3M Clear Bra
Old 5/29/05, 05:10 PM
V6 Member

i dont think the chip is down to the metal. i'm pretty sure its not due to a bad paint job because i remember when it happend. i was driving on the freeway and there was a truck flinging loose gravel all over the place from his load. so paint fix and 3m coat to the front it is! thanks for the help guys!