Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Acid Rain damage. What can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 3/25/08, 08:38 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acid Rain damage. What can I do?

I noticed this a month back but now with the weather and show season returning I need some help. I have acid rain deposits all over the car, hood, roof, trunk lid, spoiler you name it. What can I do? Places I called told me it would require re-painting the car! My baby is only a year old I don't want to repaint it, that would cost a fortune! I need some advice here guys and gals so I know what my options are and what I should be looking for in a good auto detailer (if thats possible)
Old 3/25/08, 09:21 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Repaint? Wow, that seems drastic. Depends on how bad the clear coat is. In some cases water spots can be removed with a claybar. Sometimes I have had to go a little more drastic and use a polish such as 3M ultrafina SE or more abbrasive like Scratch X. I have some water spots on my hood right now that will not come off with the claybar. I will be detailing my car next month to get rid of them. I have never heard of someone having to get a car repainted due to water spots.
Old 3/25/08, 09:52 AM
Cobra Member

Did not try the clay bar because I tried (by hand, I don't own a buffer) to use a swirl remover and that did not help. Nothing seems to even scratch or diminish these things, you can't feel them the paint is as slick as ever but when the light hits the car from certain angles you can see the spots. They are not big looks like freckles or little dots about the size of a sharp pencil tip (not typical sized water spots). I think re-painting is a bit much as well, any tips John? Like buffers, pads and speeds to use them at. Also if any one knows of a trustworthy detailer in the central NJ ( Hamilton township in Mercer County) I would appreciate their contact info.
Old 3/25/08, 10:07 AM
Retired Tms Staff

I use a porter-cable polisher. Depending on the polish, different pads are required. Since you do not have a buffer, you might want to take it to a detailer first and see if they can try one spot first. A lot of places will do that and then give you a price on doing the entire car. That would save you a lot of money unless you really want to go out and purchase a professional buffer, pads, polishes, etc.
Old 3/25/08, 10:34 AM
Cobra Member

Good point, going to have to call around and ask about that now, Thanks John though at one point buying my own may save me cash in the long run. Still would appreciate anyone in the central NJ area who knows a reputable place.
Old 3/25/08, 10:37 AM
Retired Tms Staff

You might want to post in the regional section to see if someone in your area knows of a good detailer. If you plan on getting a polisher in the future, there are several models out there. Just don't buy the cheapo type that has a cloth bonnet that slips over a pad. You will do nothing but destroy the finish on your car. It will take practice to get it perfect but once you do you will have lots of people asking you to do their cars. So make sure you have lots of spare time or can say "No!" a lot
Old 3/25/08, 10:49 AM
Cobra Member

Yeah I kind of expected that. Let me ask you this though, once I have them removed how can I keep them from coming back? I polish my car monthly and detail it all the time. I no longer let ANY water ever sit on it (unless I am at work which I don't think my boss cares about my acid rain spots). I use Zaino but it does not seem to protect against acid rain, are their any kinds of sealers or something out there that does?

Last edited by vistablue mustang; 3/25/08 at 11:09 AM.
Old 3/25/08, 11:31 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Depending on what I have on hand, I either use Farecla hand glaze or 3M polishing foam glaze (looks like they replaced that now) before applying Zaino. It works great at helping protect the paint from fallout, bird droppings, sap, etc. Just about any sort of glaze will do.
Old 3/25/08, 04:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Etching that appears as a concave circular marks are caused by acid rain and bird bombs. These can usually be removed by using detailer's clay to remove any hardened surface deposits, and then using a solvent type cleaner like the All-In-Ones and then use a machine polish to level the surface.

HTH
Old 3/25/08, 05:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by vistablue mustang
Let me ask you this though, once I have them removed how can I keep them from coming back?
You may want to try Collinite 845. I've read really good things about its ability to stand up to bombs, fallout and acid rains. I currently use a Duragloss sealant and their Aquawax as a booster every other washing w/ great results. I never used Collinite but just may in the future due to its good rep.

http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-in...r-wax-845.html
Old 3/25/08, 06:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Try posting in the regional sections of Autopia if you want to find a quality detailer to help you.