General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Winterizing

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/12, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winterizing

I'm going to be taking my car off the road for the winter....probably (hopefully) only 3 months is there anything I should do to prepare it for hibernation....or is three months not that bad for Mustang to be sitting?
Old 12/5/12, 08:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kevinsworld3
I'm going to be taking my car off the road for the winter....probably (hopefully) only 3 months is there anything I should do to prepare it for hibernation....or is three months not that bad for Mustang to be sitting?
There's lots of discussion and debate on this but I think the general consensus is wash it good before you store it, including an underbody wash and so on so no gunk has a chance to sit anywhere on it. Then put it up on jack stands so you don't get flat spots in the tires. Some people recommend disconnecting the battery, but I'd rather hook it up to a trickle charger or maintainer to keep it from dying.

If its going to be stored outside I'd recommend a high quality car cover, and if its stored on grass put a tarp down under it or something because If the grass grows up against the bottom of the car it will rust stuff.

That's just my 2 cents, other people will probably have more suggestions and if you search a little you'll probably find ten other threads on this topic.
Old 12/6/12, 12:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

if you decide to disconnect the battery,remember to lower the window slightly before you do, if you are parking indoors, hopefully?

I don't think there is any more need to put the car on stands, radials don't get flat spots. From other discussions I have learned, put a few dryer sheets in the car, trunk and engine compartment as our little rodent friends don't like them. I got put steel wool in the tail pipes to keep critters out of there. I use a trickle charger on the battery and also put Stabil in the tank before my last fill up.

Last edited by max5ive0; 12/6/12 at 12:40 PM.