General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Why not use suede?

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/14 | 01:36 PM

Why not use suede?

If you try to find mustang parts made with Alcantara, you will find Boss 302 steering wheels that cost fortune, and not much else. I don't have enough butt to keep from sliding around in my GT's standard bucket. My understanding is you can't find a whole lot of upholsterers that work with Alcantara due to licensing. So, if the stuff is suppose to be fake leather, but cost more than suede, why wouldn't I just use real suede? I think I can drive just a few miles from my home, and find a decent upholster who could do the middle insert in suede. THe only catch is the heated seats require little tiny holes to let the air through. THAT might be a problem..

Last edited by Liamnacuac; 1/2/14 at 01:48 PM.
Old 1/2/14 | 02:00 PM
GT Member

The problem with real suede is that its not durable enough for an auto interior. After sitting on it and getting in and out of the car it starts to turn shiny and tattered looking. Almost looks like a ratty old leather jacket….trust me I did it way back in '95 on my Sunfire. Looked good for about three months.
Old 1/3/14 | 05:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Liamnacuac
If you try to find mustang parts made with Alcantara, you will find Boss 302 steering wheels that cost fortune, and not much else. I don't have enough butt to keep from sliding around in my GT's standard bucket. My understanding is you can't find a whole lot of upholsterers that work with Alcantara due to licensing. So, if the stuff is suppose to be fake leather, but cost more than suede, why wouldn't I just use real suede? I think I can drive just a few miles from my home, and find a decent upholster who could do the middle insert in suede. THe only catch is the heated seats require little tiny holes to let the air through. THAT might be a problem..
The heated seats don't require the holes. At least not in the Taurus, Escape and my Dodge. Cooled seats probably do.