General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Why I came back to the Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 7/5/13, 05:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up Why I came back to the Mustang

My name is SpeedCostsMoney and I just bought a 2010 Ford Mustang GT Convertible with the Premium package. To start I used to own old Mustangs. My first was a 1966 Straight 6. I drove it for a year until my brother sold me his 1966 Mustang GT with a 289. I spent a better part of 3 years restoring the car (It did not look like below when I bought it).

Name:  carside2.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  294.1 KB

I drove the 1966 Mustang as a daily driver from about a year and got tired of it breaking down all the time, overheating and living in South Carolina with no AC was getting old. So I waited with baited breath till the new 2005 Mustang came out. At the time all I could afford was a Base V6.

Immediately after buying it I started to have problems with the car. Before it had its first oil change it had a rear end, motor mounts, and drive shaft replaced. All of this did not fix a bad vibration it was getting going down the highway. I had to invoke lemon law and got my money back from the car. I then went to various other cars but something was missing.

My last car was a 2004 Mazda RX8. It was a real fun car to own and drive. However, I had nothing but problems with it. The reason I got rid of it was out of warranty and starting to break down all the time. My wife wanted a convertible anyways. There were only two cars I was willing to consider, the Mustang and the Camaro. A couple of weeks ago we hit the lots looking at brand new ones. Boy was these babies expensive and on top of that I could not find a GT or SS Vert with a manual transmission.

Name:  null_zps644bec37.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  206.6 KB

After test driving both something was pulling me back to the Mustang. I am not sure if it was the looks, its heritage, or me just missing my old 66 Stang. I then decided to look for a used one and a used one I found. So we picked up this 2010 GT Vert. We are really enjoying it until this week the rear end started to make a metal on metal noise and the when you start the car there is a clicking sound in the dash.

Name:  null_zps41320936.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  259.8 KB

I took the car over to my local dealer and there are fixing the AC door under the extended warranty I bought and the rear end is covered under the power train from Ford. Ford is paying for a rental so I not without transpiration but I am a little worried. I really do not want a repeat of my 2005 Mustang. I’m keeping positive right now and hope the issues are resolved. I love driving it and there is nothing like owing a Mustang. It is something in my blood!

I will give everyone updates as they come available. I should get my car back sometime next week.

Last edited by SpeedCostsMoney; 7/5/13 at 05:31 AM.
Old 7/5/13, 06:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
How many miles on the 2010?
Old 7/5/13, 06:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Old 7/5/13, 07:03 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 949 Likes on 577 Posts
42,000 isn't too much. I'm a little concerned with the issues you are encountering. I thought quality control was a priority for Ford. Your problems aren't the first I have read about here. I guess I have been fortunate so far.
I understand your feelings about Mustang ownership. I've been 'on and off' with Mustang ownership ever since I bought a new '82 GT off the showroom floor 31 years ago. This '07 GT/CS is my favorite one, and although I was thinking new Camaro recently, and test drove one, the Mustang drove much better and definitely felt 'smaller'. If I bought another GM car right now I would buy a clean, ultra low mileage LS1 F-body (1998 - 2002) before buying a new Camaro. They also drive much smaller and are almost as quick due to the weight difference.
I hope you haven't purchased another owner's problems which Ford failed to rectify. Let's hope for the best, and once you get it back, enjoy it!!

Last edited by NC14GT; 7/5/13 at 07:05 AM.
Old 7/5/13, 07:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Like I said if it is taking care of I will be happy. I just do not want a long drawn out process of going back and forth to the dealer. I am not in the mood for that. However, my instructor for my mechanics classes and a fellow student work at the dealer the car is at. So I know it will be done right.

Last edited by SpeedCostsMoney; 7/5/13 at 07:19 AM.
Old 7/5/13, 07:27 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 949 Likes on 577 Posts
Check this link out. In case you have further problems (let's hope not), maybe you can contact this Ford individual.
https://themustangsource.com/f657/pi...rouble-523084/
Old 7/5/13, 07:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the info! The service writer said it was the gears. They are repalcing the whole rear end and not just the gears. Not sure what that is all about. I might go down and talk to my buddy since he works there and get the skinny.

I got through this with almost every used or sometime new car I get. I have to get through a couple of fixes before the car is right. I take really good care of my cars and pretty **** about keeping them clean and have the proper maintenance.

Last edited by SpeedCostsMoney; 7/5/13 at 07:54 AM.
Old 7/5/13, 08:35 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedCostsMoney
Thanks for the info! The service writer said it was the gears. They are repalcing the whole rear end and not just the gears. Not sure what that is all about. I might go down and talk to my buddy since he works there and get the skinny.

I got through this with almost every used or sometime new car I get. I have to get through a couple of fixes before the car is right. I take really good care of my cars and pretty about keeping them clean and have the proper maintenance.
Glad to learn your dealer is taking care of you, SpeedCostsMoney!

Deysha
Old 7/5/13, 02:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry to hear all the issues but love the new vert!

My family's driven Fords for the past 20 years - and I have my share of stories to tell regarding brand new 'quality is job 1' cars...

That being said the local dealers have always taken care of us within reason and I wouldn't trade my Mustang for another car.
Old 7/5/13, 03:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedCostsMoney
So we picked up this 2010 GT Vert. We are really enjoying it until this week the rear end started to make a metal on metal noise and the when you start the car there is a clicking sound in the dash.
I had the same problem with my 2010 and the fix was straightforward. Check here for details.

OOPS - You already posted there

Last edited by Tony Alonso; 7/5/13 at 03:53 PM.
Old 7/9/13, 07:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

I got my Mustang back and she drives like new. They reaplced the gears in the rear end under factory warrinty.

Name:  null_zpsf3ef8c72.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  185.6 KB

Name:  null_zps441d3d3f.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  173.5 KB
Old 7/9/13, 08:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man you have had some bad luck with cars...

My 2006 GT only had to have its rear passenger side caliper replaced (I did that myself) because it was dragging and ate a set of pads. I had to replace the battery 2 times so far...and I've had a serious accident with it when it was a year old and I now have almost 120K on it...its my garage queen now for weekends or short trips.
Old 7/14/13, 12:55 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad they got you back on the road in that vert.