General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Why do they all want to race!

Search this Thread

Old 3/20/11, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happened to me all the time with my 2003 svt Cobra. Now that I'm about to buy--I mean this week--a 2012 Kona Blue GT500 with fat white stripes, I expect it to happen even more often (the Cobra was refrigerator white, and I think most people assumed it was a V6 or something).

I plan to do a lot of what Corvette drivers do: Just look over and sneer. The sneer says "I'm just in the mood right now to cover that WRX with tire smoke."
Old 3/22/11, 05:25 AM
GT Member

Maybe once every fewweeks a mustang even.
My street car in not a mustang. I don't street race at all and drive the speed limit. I am usually in 5th gear by 35 mph. It's rare that another vehicle will won't to race, but lots will make noise especially with loud exhausts. Happened yesterday with a mustang that was going in the opposite direction. Once he spotted me, he accelerated.....made lots of noise.
Old 3/22/11, 06:04 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After they rev at me I usually just rev to like 2k and ignore them, it's just like going "arrgh" go away ricer lol
Old 3/23/11, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

I think they have huge ego's or they are trying to prove something. I had some "V-Teck" pos try me last night at a red light... i think he went home disapointed
Old 3/25/11, 10:44 PM

Almost every day on my way to school I had the same Honda try to race me and would yell crap out the window.. I usually don't care then one day I got tired of it and blew him away... I may not have 5.0 bagging on her right now but that does not mean theres not one under the hood.. Ever since then he stopped talking crap at lights. Sad to say I kinda miss the laughs
Old 3/27/11, 12:44 PM
GT Member

Normally don't have to worry about people blowing by me. They nicely move over :P
Old 3/27/11, 12:51 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
in my shleby people would get over on the highway. Now in the little blue car people will just sit in the fast lane doing 3 mph under and not move for what seems like forever.
Old 3/27/11, 02:31 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
in my shleby people would get over on the highway. Now in the little blue car people will just sit in the fast lane doing 3 mph under and not move for what seems like forever.

Flash your highs and see if they move. I've done that at night before and still nothing because most people driving are
Old 4/2/11, 10:09 PM

Just got my Mustang today. No one has tried to race me yet, but given that Ontario (Canada) has the "stunt driving" law (which can be applied even on a race to the speed limit) I won't be taking any challenges. If you're hit with it the min fine is $2000, vehicle is impounded and license immediately suspended.
Old 4/3/11, 03:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2012konabluev6
Just got my Mustang today. No one has tried to race me yet, but given that Ontario (Canada) has the "stunt driving" law (which can be applied even on a race to the speed limit) I won't be taking any challenges. If you're hit with it the min fine is $2000, vehicle is impounded and license immediately suspended.
I remember when they passes that law. Those 2 stupid ricer kids killed a pedestrian. Here in Saskatchewan it's still the wild west. We take it just outside of town and meet at the gas stations there. Divided highway and exactly 1 mile between range roads. Great fun and no one gets hurt. You guys have super-highways your stuck doing 100 kms on. Beautiful banks on them,built for autobahn speeds. And have moped speed limits. Unreal
Old 4/11/11, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Everett
I remember when they passes that law. Those 2 stupid ricer kids killed a pedestrian. Here in Saskatchewan it's still the wild west. We take it just outside of town and meet at the gas stations there. Divided highway and exactly 1 mile between range roads. Great fun and no one gets hurt. You guys have super-highways your stuck doing 100 kms on. Beautiful banks on them,built for autobahn speeds. And have moped speed limits. Unreal
Texas is about to grant us 85mph on some of those super-highways woot woot. Top speed on the island is a blistering 60mph.
Old 4/12/11, 06:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Just Crazy Fast

Originally Posted by Kiloton10
Texas is about to grant us 85mph on some of those super-highways woot woot. Top speed on the island is a blistering 60mph.
They better start building more coffins in Texas! Thinking Joe Average Driver will not really be ready for this new speed limit? Think about this possibility. A head on collision at these speeds is combined 170 MPH! After that crash, there would be nothing left except sadness and landfill trash. "RC"
Old 4/12/11, 06:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Kiloton10

Yea i hate that about the island. Me and my dad race evry now and then. His tacoma x-runner with a built motor against my 02 gt. It aint stock but it aint a monster (yet) sometimes im scared one of us is gonna shoot off the road into the water
Old 4/12/11, 06:37 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get it a lot. I just ignore everyone.

What's funny is if you've driven other performance cars you probably know about how your perspective changes depending on what car you're driving. I had a modded 2003 GT before I had my 2009 Nissan 370Z, and while owning the Z I noted on my Z forum that "when I drove my '03 GT, I felt like all 350Z drivers were douchebags. Now that I drive my 370, I feel like all Mustang GT drivers are douchebags... So, just remember, no matter who you are or what you're driving, somebody out there thinks you're a douchebag!"

This was in reference to one of these "why does everyone want to race?" threads. It's just funny because regardless of which side you're on, there always seems to be a pretty common viewpoint, though a few of the details may be different.

I'm a car guy through and through, so I appreciate a nice car and even moreso I appreciate other genuine car people, regardless of what they choose to drive. In general I find that the "nicer" cars that real enthusiasts tend to flock to are more often than not pleasant encounters... usually involving a thumbs up or other aknowledgement of general awesomeness from both parties involved.

With regard to the little econo-sport cars of the world... the base Civics, the Scions, the Focii... I think it's more a case of the driver just wanting to see your car run. Every now and then you run into someone who is so misguided they genuinely beleive they are faster than you (even if you've got a good 200 hp on them) but more often than not it's just some kid wanting to see/hear a nice car take off.
Old 4/15/11, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
I think it's more a case of the driver just wanting to see your car run. Every now and then you run into someone who is so misguided they genuinely beleive they are faster than you (even if you've got a good 200 hp on them) but more often than not it's just some kid wanting to see/hear a nice car take off.
This is a good point. On the way home from the dealer yesterday with the top down I pulled next to a CL 55 AMG Mercedes that was very clean and he just gave the thumbs up and kept rolling after he noticed me admiring his car. Sometimes I have to remind myself some of the people that fly up behind me are just in a hurry and couldnt care less what I'm driving. Also I have given people the wrong idea when I catch up to them just to check out their car they assume I'm looking to race haha. From my experience the worst owners about this are BMW people, if you get up behind one of them they will punch it everytime seems like.
Old 4/16/11, 12:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Antigini-GT/CS
I rarely get people wanting to race me.
Me too ... I guess my car isnt race worthy
Old 4/16/11, 12:42 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ford20
Me too ... I guess my car isnt race worthy
There are just some people who are lucky to not have to deal with all that crap. Even if i'm driving around other cars people just stare, but very rarely ever try to race me. I like to think its a good thing. People already drive like idiots.

On a nice note though, I will happily accept the new 85MPH speed limit in Texas.
Old 4/16/11, 12:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The other day, on the way to work, there was a black Tiburon driving "furious." Ended up behind me at a stop light, so I graciously accelerated to allow him to get in front of the cars in the other lane. Soon after, I pulled up next to him at the next light. Based on his behavior, I knew he would jump on the light. So, to mess with him, I jumped on it too... and stayed right next to him up to the speed limit (at which point he kept going)... I was rather humored by this...

...I was in a 2003 Chevy Avalanche with 150k miles.
Old 4/16/11, 03:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Enfynet
The other day, on the way to work, there was a black Tiburon driving "furious." Ended up behind me at a stop light, so I graciously accelerated to allow him to get in front of the cars in the other lane. Soon after, I pulled up next to him at the next light. Based on his behavior, I knew he would jump on the light. So, to mess with him, I jumped on it too... and stayed right next to him up to the speed limit (at which point he kept going)... I was rather humored by this...

...I was in a 2003 Chevy Avalanche with 150k miles.
Bahahahahaha...nice kill

www.********** we encourage kill stories
Old 4/16/11, 03:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Everett

Ever meet at the ruby?