General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Wheel guru's, I need your expert advise.

Search this Thread

Old 10/13/22, 11:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Wheel guru's, I need your expert advise.

The OEM wheels on my '07 are showing their age with a lot of clear coat "pearling" that can't be cleaned ( I've tried). My question is a about backspacing that I know zero about. I'm looking at the 17" Bullitt wheels as the look of a simple 5 spoke wheel on a S-197 is what I'm looking for with this car. From my research I see the bolt pattern (5x114.3), and the offset of +30 is the same for the 17x8" SN95 and S197 Bullitt wheels. I kinda like the SN95 spokes of the Bullitt's a bit better than the ones on the S197 (It ain't much though, and not a deal breaker). But, then comes the backspacing. Will I run into a problem there. All I can find is the SN95 backspacing is 5.66, and the S197's is 5.72. Would that minimal difference cause a problem?

When you look at the two wheels on American Muscle the tech specs are the same. I'm so confused.

Once again I know this should maybe be in another section of the forum, but the general chat will get me more visibility. So, I's hope the mods won't care too much.

Jim

Last edited by wanted33; 10/13/22 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10/13/22, 11:36 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,866 Likes on 2,112 Posts
Originally Posted by wanted33
The OEM wheels on my '07 are showing their age with a lot of clear coat "pearling" that can't be cleaned ( I've tried). My question is a about backspacing that I know zero about. I'm looking at the 17" Bullitt wheels as the look of a simple 5 spoke wheel on a S-197 is what I'm looking for with this car. From my research I see the bolt pattern (5x114.3), and the offset of +30 is the same for the 17x8" SN95 and S197 Bullitt wheels. I kinda like the SN95 spokes of the Bullitt's a bit better than the ones on the S197 (It ain't much though, and not a deal breaker). But, then comes the backspacing. Will I run into a problem there. All I can find is the SN95 backspacing is 5.66, and the S197's is 5.72. Would that minimal difference cause a problem?

Once again I know this should maybe be in another section of the forum, but the general chat will get me more visibility. So, I's hope the mods won't care too much.

Jim
I love the FR-500 Wheels Myself but the Shelby Brembo's Always Cause Issues for Me So I have Never Changed! You Could Have Your Wheels Blasted & Powder coated To Retain Original Style!

Here are Some Nice Choices!

https://www.americanmuscle.com/2005wheels.html

K

https://themustangsource.com/forums/f702/wheels-422435/
See Post 9 For Offset

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 10/13/22 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10/13/22, 11:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
I love the FR-500 Wheels Myself but the Shelby Brembo's Always Cause Issues for Me So I have Never Changed! You Could Have Your Wheels Blasted & Powder coated To Retain Original Style!

Here are Some Nice Choices!

https://www.americanmuscle.com/2005wheels.html

K

https://themustangsource.com/forums/f702/wheels-422435/
See Post 9 For Offset

KC
Kevin,I had thought about having mine powder coated. But, then decided it wouldn't be much more to just go with a new set. Do you feel either set I mentioned would fit my '07 with no problems?
Old 10/13/22, 12:07 PM

Kevin,I had thought about having mine powder coated. But, then decided it wouldn't be much more to just go with a new set. Do you feel either set I mentioned would fit my '07 with no problems?
It's Been So Long Ago when I had a Lot More Answers on this Stuff. Let Me Stew awhile. I will throw this Out there. Be advised Different Offset & Width in Front Can Make The Car Twitchy. A Shorter Tire Will Ride Stiffer. We Were a Roush Dealer Back in the Day and I did Not Like The Twitchy Feeling With I thinK Were 18x10's Back Then on The Roush Cars.

Don't Get Any Wheel Which Takes Spacers. The Sn-197's Have So Little Wheel Lug Thread Engagement as it Is and Changing Studs is a Pain. Although I Do have a Special Lug Nut I use For More Thread Engagement for Certain Wheels. That is If I Ever Put on my 2015 Gt Take Offs On! Oh and Just For Giggles Look How Close the Stock Bullit Wheel Spoke is to the Brake Caliper. Like a Credit Card Thin.

While Powder Coating Is Top Notch, A Simple Repaint of your Exisiting Wheels Might Be Cost Effective. Just Like Your Exhaust Issue you Just Had. A Wheel Issue That Pops Up Is Usually Something you Did Not Think of. You Know How the Car Drives and Handles with Existing Wheels. Kinda Stuck With New Purchase. Back in the Day we would have Had 10 Posts on this By Now! I know what you Mean about the Deeper Dish Look! Yep We All Liked the 04 Style Wheel Look Better!

Being in OEM For So Long I tend to Err on the Side of Caution. I hate to Advise on Something as Critical as Rolling Stock if I'm Not Certain. Also Note OEM Wheels are Manufactured to a Lot Tougher Standards Than Aftermarket and Can Be More Forgiving to Road Rash!

Oh and I Stole this Quote from HOUTEX on a Post Below. Another + For the Oem Wheels!

HOWEVER... You need to be aware that the wheels on the S197 (and many Mustangs) are hubcentric AND lugcentric.

What this means is that the wheels fit onto the hub very precisely on a bit of the hub that sticks out, to center the wheel on the hub. This reduces vibrations due to the wheel being stuck out to one 'side' of the hub. As well, the lugs are tapered with the wheel, and that centers the wheel further. All to reduce vibration and the possibility of shearing the lugs on takeoff or heavy braking.

Those Oem Wheels are Looking Better & Better!

Still Thinking!

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 10/13/22 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10/13/22, 12:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
It's Been So Long Ago when I had a Lot More Answers on this Stuff. Let Me Stew awhile. I will throw this Out there. Be advised Different Offset & Width in Front Can Make The Car Twitchy. A Shorter Tire Will Ride Stiffer. We Were a Roush Dealer Back in the Day and I did Not Like The Twitchy Feeling With I thinK Were 18x10's Back Then on The Roush Cars.

Don't Get Any Wheel Which Takes Spacers. The Sn-197's Have So Little Wheel Lug Thread Engagement as it Is and Changing Studs is a Pain. Although I Do have a Special Lug Nut I use For More Thread Engagement for Certain Wheels. That is If I Ever Put on my 2015 Gt Take Offs On! Oh and Just For Giggles Look How Close the Stock Bullit Wheel Spoke is to the Brake Caliper. Like a Credit Card Thin.

While Powder Coating Is Top Notch, A Simple Repaint of your Exisiting Wheels Might Be Cost Effective. Just Like Your Exhaust Issue you Just Had. A Wheel Issue That Pops Up Is Usually Something you Did Not Think of. You Know How the Car Drives and Handles with Existing Wheels. Kinda Stuck With New Purchase. Back in the Day we would have Had 10 Posts on this By Now! I know what you Mean about the Deeper Dish Look! Yep We All Liked the 04 Style Wheel Look Better!

Being in OEM For So Long I tend to Err on the Side of Caution. I hate to Advise on Something as Critical as Rolling Stock if I'm Not Certain. Also Note OEM Wheels are Manufactured to a Lot Tougher Standards Than Aftermarket and Can Be More Forgiving to Road Rash!

Still Thinking!

KC
Thanks Kevin, think away. Like you said I don't want to run into another aggravating issue like I did with the Borla's (I did get a full refund though, so that's good). I know the difference difference in the back spacing is minimal, but that may be enough to screw up the whole deal.
Old 10/13/22, 12:38 PM

Thanks Kevin, think away. Like you said I don't want to run into another aggravating issue like I did with the Borla's (I did get a full refund though, so that's good). I know the difference difference in the back spacing is minimal, but that may be enough to screw up the whole deal.
Check Last Edit!

Oh and If your Lugs are Chewed up Either get Oem Lug Nuts which are fairly Stout or Solid Chrome Aftermarket. Make Sure your Factory Lug Wrench Fits as Well! Tire Shop High Powered Impact Guns Really Tear Up Lug Nuts! The Aftermarket Nuts Which Mimic the Oem Steel Nut with The Overlay are Junk! Personally Experience! Had Aftermarket Overlay Nuts Break on Install! Beauty Cap Spun Off!

On A Side Note the One Time I had a Shop Put Aftermarket Wheels on A Vehicle I always Did my Own Work as a Rule! They Put Metric Studs on the Front and Standard on the Rear. Then They They Used the same Lug nuts on All Wheels. Front Wheels came Loose and Lug Wrench Would Not Fit. And to Add Insult to Injury this was During an Out of Town trip taking My Son to Chemotherapy. Think I was a Bit Angry!

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 10/13/22 at 12:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (10/13/22)
Old 10/13/22, 02:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Kevin, oops, I just found that the wheels on my car is a +45 offset. But, the +30 is only approx. 1/2 inch further out. Here's the difference I'm looking at in this link.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...h=8&offset2=30

I just put my question to the American Muscle chat guy. As I said in the first post the American Muscle '99-'05, and the '05-'09 17x8 Bullitt wheels have the exact same specs. He said they would fit, and haven't had any fitment complaints for their customers.

Last edited by wanted33; 10/13/22 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10/13/22, 03:32 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,140 Likes on 1,720 Posts
Kevin, oops, I just found that the wheels on my car is a +45 offset. But, the +30 is only approx. 1/2 inch further out. Here's the difference I'm looking at in this link.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...h=8&offset2=30

I just put my question to the American Muscle chat guy. As I said in the first post the American Muscle '99-'05, and the '05-'09 17x8 Bullitt wheels have the exact same specs. He said they would fit, and haven't had any fitment complaints for their customers.
Jim! Just things to keep in mind, the Bullitt style 05-09 wheels which American Muscle carry in stock are replicas which are not manufactured to the same specs as Ford/OEM.. Same also applies to AM 99-05 wheels.. Therefore, whatever the sales rep from AM is telling you, they are going by their manufacture specs and not Ford/OEM manufacture specs.. My advice, make certain you bring to the attention of this sales rep from AM the wheels your interested in purchasing are in fact compatible with wheel offset, width and backspace...

-Rocky
wanted33 (10/13/22)
Old 10/13/22, 03:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Jim! Just things to keep in mind, the Bullitt style 05-09 wheels which American Muscle carry in stock are replicas which are not manufactured to the same specs as Ford/OEM.. Same also applies to AM 99-05 wheels.. Therefore, whatever the sales rep from AM is telling you, they are going by their manufacture specs and not Ford/OEM manufacture specs.. My advice, make certain you bring to the attention of this sales rep from AM the wheels your interested in purchasing are in fact compatible with wheel offset, width and backspace...

-Rocky
Thank you Rocky, but I's a bit ahead of ya my friend. We went through just that, and all is well.

However there is one caveat. If you go past the 8" wheel, and a 235 tire on the 197's you will probably have some tire poke. And, that only looks good on Jeeps, and trucks.
m05fastbackGT (10/13/22)
Old 10/13/22, 04:43 PM

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ctures-436284/

k

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...s-here-441997/

Although Some Picture Loss Might Want to Gander at These From Back in The Day. The Dish on The Bullits Does Look Nice So Does Polished or Chrome! If you were to Go With Stock Wheels I would Have Either All Polished or Polish All But Originally Painted Section and Paint That Car Color. BTMO!

Oh, Something Else Usually the aftermarket Wheels Use the 04 Prior Style Center caps Which Recess Vs Lay on Top of Wheel.

KC

I Like the Looks of the 18" Oem Polished and These Bullits as Far as The Two Forums Go!

Last edited by 05stangkc; 10/13/22 at 04:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05stangkc:
m05fastbackGT (10/13/22), wanted33 (10/13/22)
Old 10/13/22, 04:49 PM

If the 17x8" wheel has an offset of +30mm? then yes, you can expect the wheel and tire to be out further towards the outer fender... Otherwise, you should consider going with a 17x8" wheel which has an offset between +38mm/+40mm paired with 235/55/17" tires.. Here's an attachment example... https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...ageSearch=true

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/13/22 at 05:04 PM.
wanted33 (10/13/22)
Old 10/13/22, 05:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

If the 17x8" wheel has an offset of +30mm? then yes, you can expect some tire bulge on a 235 tire... Otherwise, you should consider going with a 17x8" wheel which has an offset between +38mm/+40mm when paired with 235/55/17" tires.. Here's an attachment example... https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...ageSearch=true

Unfortunately I'm like an old woman standing at a mater stand in the Farmers Market. I just can decide which one I want. So, the way I work it is if I can't decide I wait until I can. Don't want to get the wrong mater don'tcha know.

I've already done that with those dang Borla's.

Last edited by wanted33; 10/13/22 at 05:05 PM.
m05fastbackGT (10/13/22)
Old 10/13/22, 05:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 555 Likes on 361 Posts
Mine are 9X19 front and 10X19 rear 42mm front and 47.5mm rear with a 6.665 in. backspace front and 7.36 in backspacing rear and I am running a 295 rear tire no poke.

The following 2 users liked this post by Siber Express:
m05fastbackGT (10/13/22), wanted33 (10/14/22)
Old 10/13/22, 05:13 PM

Unfortunately I'm like an old woman standing at a mater stand in the Farmers Market. I just can decide which one I want. So, the way I work it is if I can't decided I wait until I can. Don't want to get the wrong mater don'tcha know.
With Me, I Got Too Much Old Hot Rodder in Me and I Love to Use What I Got Whenever I can. Just the Challenge of Making What I got Look it's Best with What I Have Has Always Been Fun For Me. When I was Young Just Did Not Have a Bunch of Excess Funds To Buy All the Time. Usually it's More Gratifying!

Do Some Research on Stripping & Polishing Wheels. See if you Got a Wheel Repair Service Around Just To Cover All your Options! Check Pricing!

Sooner or Later you will See What is Right For you! No Hurry No Worry!

KC

BTMO,

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 10/13/22 at 05:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05stangkc:
m05fastbackGT (10/13/22), wanted33 (10/14/22)
Old 10/13/22, 05:15 PM

Unfortunately I'm like an old woman standing at a mater stand in the Farmers Market. I just can decide which one I want. So, the way I work it is if I can't decide I wait until I can. Don't want to get the wrong mater don'tcha know.

I've already done that with those dang Borla's.
When it comes to our rides, we're entitled to be particular Jim.. Like yourself, I upgraded from the Borla S-types to the Borla ATAKS for the very same reason as you did, I couldn't deal with the loudness of interior resonance drone from within the cabin.
wanted33 (10/14/22)
Old 10/14/22, 05:56 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,017 Likes on 632 Posts
Why wouldn't the Bullitt rims fit? Did Ford make something different in that area? I'm just thinking of the 18" that came on my 2007 California Special. The CS was just an appearance package and the 18" would probably fit on any GT. See the 3rd line below.

Old 10/14/22, 01:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by NC14GT
Why wouldn't the Bullitt rims fit? Did Ford make something different in that area? I'm just thinking of the 18" that came on my 2007 California Special. The CS was just an appearance package and the 18" would probably fit on any GT. See the 3rd line below.

I think the vendor that has the SN95 Bullitt wheels (the spokes are supposedly a bit darker grey) doesn't want to risk a problem by telling me their wheels will fit my S197. I understand that. There's just too many lawyers out there with nothing to do just waiting to chase that ambulance. Me, and my gearhead wifey decided to just stick with the Bullitts from American Muscle. Even though they flaked out on our forum, they have always helped me any way they could on my orders. And, customer service is important when you're spending that much. Now I just have to hit that "order" button, or just call them and give them some good ol' "redneck poor mouthin' ". They may feel sorry for this old boy, and knock a dime or two off the price.
I know, I know, wha, wha, wha...........I pitiful.

Thanks for all of the help folks. Like usual I circled right back to my original starting point. My OCD is showing...................

And for anyone that's intersted, Charlotte Motor Speedway is having "Foxtober Fest" this weekend. It's for the Fox body cars, but as usual there are all generations headed out there now. We're wall to wall Mustangs here in Concord this weekend.

Last edited by wanted33; 10/14/22 at 02:00 PM.
NC14GT (10/16/22)
Old 10/14/22, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by NC14GT

Because Jim specifically stated he's only interested in 17x8" size Bullitt style wheels.. However, his chances in locating those with an offset between +38/+42mm are pretty much slim to none.. The closest wheel size he can expect to locate with an offset between +38/+40mm are in 18x8" size diameters...
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resu...oModClar=Coupe

I'm looking at the 17" Bullitt wheels as the look of a simple 5 spoke wheel on a S-197 is what I'm looking for with this car.
Jim

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/14/22 at 05:49 PM.
NC14GT (10/16/22)
Old 10/15/22, 12:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Because Jim specifically stated he's only interested in 17x8" size Bullitt style wheels.. However, his chances in locating those with an offset between +38/+42mm are pretty much slim to none.. The closest wheel size he can expect to locate with an offset between +38/+40mm are in 18x8" size diameters...
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resu...oModClar=Coupe
Yeah sir, the old girl has a brand new set of tires on 'er. So, I'll stick with the 17's. Momma's been looking at wheels also, 'cause she knows how I am when it comes to deciding. She's got a good eye when it comes to stuff like this, so we'll see what she comes up with. I would kinda like to stay with the Bullitt's, but I'm open for suggestions when she finds something. Keep her in the loop, and keep her happy. You know the old saying.
The following 2 users liked this post by wanted33:
m05fastbackGT (10/17/22), NC14GT (10/16/22)
Old 10/17/22, 11:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,047 Posts
I am late to the party and don't have much to add, except a different angle on this: while you're thinking about it, watch your local Craig's List and also e-Bay for deals on take-off wheels and tires ... great deals can be had on like-new wheels; if you find a set you like, you can get wheels and tires for less than the price of tires alone ... and that opens up a whole new world of possibilities!

~ John

EDIT/PS -- I should have said "less than the price of WHEELS alone" but you got the point and I see you got your new wheels on order, enjoy!

Last edited by Bert; 10/18/22 at 08:59 AM.
wanted33 (10/17/22)

Quick Reply: Wheel guru's, I need your expert advise.