General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

What Tire Protectant / Dressing???

Search this Thread

Old 4/13/14, 12:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Tire Protectant / Dressing???

I have been reading reviews about what people use for tire dressing or tire shine. The tires on my 07 are turning slightly brown on the black sidewalls. I have some Black Magic Tire Wet, however I read that a person advised that it stained his wheels

Here is what I am looking for:

Something that will protect and keep the tires from cracking...

Something that is not going to "fling" off the tires to the paint...

Something that will not have a strong smell that is not safe to be around in my enclosed shop and breathe in...

Something that will not stain the paint or wheels...

Something that will make the tires look darker...

Something that will make the tires look wet...

Any ideas my Mustang friends that may meet my requests that you use and have had good results with?

Thanks in advance for all your replies!

Phil
Old 4/13/14, 12:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I use 303 aerospace for all trim, plastic and rubber (and any interior painted parts, including door jambs). It's the only thing I put on my tires, and I sometimes use it for my wheels as well.

I prefer it to tire dressings as it's not greasy, there's no worry about it getting on the wheels or body panels, and it doesn't dry with that "greased up, slicked back hair" look. It looks nice and clean, with a natural rubber look that has a bit of a glean and depth to it.

Also, do you have the original tires on the car? Just wondering as it sounds like they might be old (hence the discoloration on the sidewall). If it has original tires you may want to look into replacing them soon, tires do have a shelf life...especially if they've seen a lot of sunlight.
Old 4/13/14, 12:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I use 303 aerospace for all trim, plastic and rubber (and any interior painted parts, including door jambs). It's the only thing I put on my tires, and I sometimes use it for my wheels as well.

I prefer it to tire dressings as it's not greasy, there's no worry about it getting on the wheels or body panels, and it doesn't dry with that "greased up, slicked back hair" look. It looks nice and clean, with a natural rubber look that has a bit of a glean and depth to it.

Also, do you have the original tires on the car? Just wondering as it sounds like they might be old (hence the discoloration on the sidewall). If it has original tires you may want to look into replacing them soon, tires do have a shelf life...especially if they've seen a lot of sunlight.
Thanks for the idea! I have not used that product.

My tires are original, however the car was stored inside from what I was told and there are only 5000 miles on them.

Gosh, I would hate to replace them as there is no dry rot or cracking on them.

Thanks again,
Phil
Old 4/13/14, 01:01 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Phil, I know a lot of members do not like armorall products but a friend of mine with a gorgess 39 Chevy told me to try the new armorall tire gel, my impression after using it on my wheels, it left a finish that turned the sidewall deep black with a mild shine, not the greasy look of some tire dressings. Pep boys seems to be the only company that sells it. Give it a try and let me know what you think. Irv
Old 4/13/14, 01:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Just saying, they might be fine they might not. It's not like after x number of years they automatically go bad...but they do start to degrade after a while and might not be safe to drive on.

My dad just replaced the tires on his 1968 Camaro. They were about 12 years old, and had about 3000 miles on them. They didn't look bad, but having a blowout wouldn't be a particularly enjoyable experience, especially in that car.

I believe a lot of tire manufacturers list lifespans in the 6-10 year range. Again, it's not really an exact science, but that's what they recommend. You can probably get a few more years out of them, just inspect them regularly to make sure they are not coming apart.

The 303 stuff is nice to keep on hand, I'd grab a bottle or two. All non fabric interior surfaces get a rub down at least a few times a year and it keeps everything looking nice, and offers UV protection. I prefer it to Armor All and similar products, as it's not at all greasy, and it seems to protect better.
Old 4/13/14, 01:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by southern stang
Hi Phil, I know a lot of members do not like armorall products but a friend of mine with a gorgess 39 Chevy told me to try the new armorall tire gel, my impression after using it on my wheels, it left a finish that turned the sidewall deep black with a mild shine, not the greasy look of some tire dressings. Pep boys seems to be the only company that sells it. Give it a try and let me know what you think. Irv
Hi Irv!
i just ordered another product to try from 3M. It is a tire protectant and like the Armorall you mention, it does not give a high gloss shine. I am not opposed to using Armorall, and I might try it as well if the 3M stuff does not work. The 303 mentioned above sounds good too for all plastics and vinyl.
Thanks for the tip though !
Phil

Old 4/13/14, 01:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I don't like shiny tires, so I use Griot's Garage Vinyl and Rubber dressing. It leaves my tires looking dark and rich without shine and is easy to apply.
Old 4/13/14, 01:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Just saying, they might be fine they might not. It's not like after x number of years they automatically go bad...but they do start to degrade after a while and might not be safe to drive on.

My dad just replaced the tires on his 1968 Camaro. They were about 12 years old, and had about 3000 miles on them. They didn't look bad, but having a blowout wouldn't be a particularly enjoyable experience, especially in that car.

I believe a lot of tire manufacturers list lifespans in the 6-10 year range. Again, it's not really an exact science, but that's what they recommend. You can probably get a few more years out of them, just inspect them regularly to make sure they are not coming apart.

The 303 stuff is nice to keep on hand, I'd grab a bottle or two. All non fabric interior surfaces get a rub down at least a few times a year and it keeps everything looking nice, and offers UV protection. I prefer it to Armor All and similar products, as it's not at all greasy, and it seems to protect better.
I may get some 303 in the future. You use it on your dash correct?

As far as the BF Goodrich G-Force TA's, I will probably hang on to them for a while. I sure don't want a blowout either, however being about 7 years old, kept inside, and like new, I think I will be good for another 3 years.

Wher's the pics of your dad's Camaro...Hum???

Thanks again,
Phil
Old 4/13/14, 01:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tukatz
I don't like shiny tires, so I use Griot's Garage Vinyl and Rubber dressing. It leaves my tires looking dark and rich without shine and is easy to apply.
Thanks Tom!

Sounds like another good option to consider

I will look into it!

Phil
Old 4/13/14, 02:41 PM
Cobra R Member

I'll have to take some pics later this month once it's back on the ground. I think he just got the tires mounted and it's back from storage.

I use the 303 on literally everything inside except for the cloth seats. The leather wrapped steering wheel and shift ****, dash, chrome trim, door panels, etc. I typically also use it on the door jambs instead of waxing (it's just easier). It's safe for windows, although I typically don't use it on anything clear. It never really dries perfectly clear so after I clean the interior I follow up the clear plastic bits with window cleaner.
Old 4/14/14, 08:40 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,056 Likes on 661 Posts
First off, say bye -bye to your tires if you value your ride and well being. High speed breakdowns or failures are more common than you think with tires over 6 years old. Belt failure doesn't show up in the form of 'cracking' or tell tale signs and it can be too late if cruising at 70+ mph on an interstate. Every tire manufacturer recommends it and so does Tire Rack. Yes, they do it for liability reasons but there is a real reason behind it too. That is when the failures start happening. My original BFG tires had less than 10,000 miles on them when I replaced them. I had a slow leak around the bead that my shop just could not repair, from grinding the rim to changing the tire position on the rim. The rubber was just too hard!! It wasn't soft like it was originally. Fast forward to my new Goodyear Eagles. No more leaks and the ride is even smoother. I don't like gambling. If I just drove 55 mph or less to local car shows or the super market, then maybe I would have kept the originals longer if I didn't have the leak. I don't though. I take my GT on spirited drives through the 'twisties' here in the mountains and drive a lot at interstate speeds. I'll be darned if I gamble on old tires.
As far as tire dressing I have won a few trophies at the Mustang shows using just simple products like Turtle Wax Ultra Shine (aerosol can) which you can get for $4 on sale at Advanced or any parts store near you. It doesn't sling off or stain but I am very diligent about wiping up overspray. I use it on all 3 of my cars with similar winning results. Not horribly glossy but nice and black!

Last edited by NC14GT; 4/14/14 at 08:45 AM.
Old 4/14/14, 09:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
First off, say bye -bye to your tires if you value your ride and well being. High speed breakdowns or failures are more common than you think with tires over 6 years old. Belt failure doesn't show up in the form of 'cracking' or tell tale signs and it can be too late if cruising at 70+ mph on an interstate. Every tire manufacturer recommends it and so does Tire Rack. Yes, they do it for liability reasons but there is a real reason behind it too. That is when the failures start happening. My original BFG tires had less than 10,000 miles on them when I replaced them. I had a slow leak around the bead that my shop just could not repair, from grinding the rim to changing the tire position on the rim. The rubber was just too hard!! It wasn't soft like it was originally. Fast forward to my new Goodyear Eagles. No more leaks and the ride is even smoother. I don't like gambling. If I just drove 55 mph or less to local car shows or the super market, then maybe I would have kept the originals longer if I didn't have the leak. I don't though. I take my GT on spirited drives through the 'twisties' here in the mountains and drive a lot at interstate speeds. I'll be darned if I gamble on old tires.
As far as tire dressing I have won a few trophies at the Mustang shows using just simple products like Turtle Wax Ultra Shine (aerosol can) which you can get for $4 on sale at Advanced or any parts store near you. It doesn't sling off or stain but I am very diligent about wiping up overspray. I use it on all 3 of my cars with similar winning results. Not horribly glossy but nice and black!
Thanks for your thoughts. I will contact BF Goodrich and get an opinion from them as well. Tire Rack is about a hour from my home. I may have them install new tires in the future.
Old 4/14/14, 09:57 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
to avoid fling you might try applying the products to a cloth and wiping the tire as opposed to spraying directly onto the sidewall.
Old 4/14/14, 10:04 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use Sonax, never had any fling onto the body once it dries.
Old 4/14/14, 04:07 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,234 Posts
I use Zaino. Great products. No sling either.
Remember to fully wash your tires every once in a while as well and make sure they are 100% completely dry before applying any tire shine/dressing.
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Count=18
Old 4/14/14, 05:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks again guys for all the ideas!!!

Gotta have those tires look like new!