General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

well it was bound to happened

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/05, 02:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Turbojet@June 5, 2005, 7:22 PM
A bit off topic, but how many of you were given an option?
When I picked my car up, the dealer said they could not let me off the lot without mounting the plate. They said the state (CA) could come back on them (if I was cited) and they did not mount it. I DON'T KNOW if this is true, but that was the story they gave me. Anybody else get that story?
I don't know about given an option but I made sure from the day I ordered the car to the day I picked it up that I reminded my salesman not to put a front tag on. He said nothing about not letting me off the lot without it, he just asked if I knew it was supposed to be there and after the "I could care less" he handed me the keys and I was off!
Old 6/7/05, 02:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@June 7, 2005, 2:08 PM
I don't know about given an option but I made sure from the day I ordered the car to the day I picked it up that I reminded my salesman not to put a front tag on. He said nothing about not letting me off the lot without it, he just asked if I knew it was supposed to be there and after the "I could care less" he handed me the keys and I was off!

Ditto here!
Old 6/7/05, 02:16 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

I live in SoCal, and I havent had a front plate in 10 years. I have been pulled over several times, and never once was it even mentioned. Everyone knows I grew up around LEOs, and even then didnt get hassled.

My second plate is mounted in my office. My dealer routinely sells cars without front plates. I dont understand how it is that they can be held at fault. They cant be held at fault if that person drives off the lot and speeds, or wrecks or anything else. Its the drivers choice to break the law. He did remind me that CA requires front plates. As long as he made me aware of the law, I see no place where he can be held liable for me cruising without a front plate.

All this discussion about it on this board has made me notice other cars. At least 1 in 10 here in CA dont have one. Most of the trucks, SUVs, vans etc have them. Passgenger cars that have bumpers with spots, they have them. About half the Stangs I see have them, all years. Most V6s have them. I have yet to see a ferrari, or lamboghini with one.
Old 6/7/05, 02:21 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@June 7, 2005, 2:19 PM
I have yet to see a ferrari, or lamboghini with one.
Hmmm, not surprising, lets see, do I put holes in the bumper of my $300,000 car or do I pay a small fine in the off chance I get ticketed for it.
Old 6/7/05, 02:22 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I've been scrutinizing myself since this thread and have noticed mostly trucks, minivans and sedans have the front plates. Sports cars and exotics hardly ever have the front plate.
Old 6/29/05, 09:33 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<<<<<----------- Uh Oh. Must of saw I had no front plate.
Old 6/30/05, 01:05 AM
Cobra Member

Talking about getting pulled over for not having a front plate... I have a white '91 GT and got pulled over.

Cop says, "Yeah you don't have your front plate."

I thought it may have fallen off because I just got back from the shop. So I say, "Oh maybe it fell off at the shop or something."

He says, "I don't know but I have to give you a ticket for it either way."

So he goes off to his car and proceeds. About five minutes later he comes back. He walks to the front of my car and stares for a minute. He then comes over to my window.

"I'm sorry... you DO have your front plate."

"I do?"

"Yeah I don't know... maybe because your car is white... I don't know but I could have sworn you didn't have one."

Anyway I could tell he felt kind of bad... embarassed about the whole thing. Heck maybe it was his first day on the job I don't know. But I just said, "Well I'm just glad I don't have to now go find my plate."
Old 6/30/05, 01:14 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
why do you need tto drill holes to fit the plate? I use 3m adhesive pads. even my pressure washer cannot loosen them (but they are easy to get off if you need too, and leave no residue)
Old 6/30/05, 02:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by holderca1@June 7, 2005, 2:21 PM
1. But it also costs the state more to produce twice as many plates.

2. A cop doesn't need another reason, acting "suspicious" should be reason enough to stop someone.

3. Some states have required front plates before the use of laser speed detection. The windshiled is pretty reflective anyways, I think that would be easier to hit.
1. Uhh.. not sure about YOUR state, but in my state, they charge us for the plates, my man. And they definitely charge more than the 40 cents it costs to make them, so the state makes money both ways. Once when you are forced to pay a ridiculously inflated price for them and AGAIN if you are ticketed for no front plate.

2. You got that one right.

3. Check out radartest.com or speedzones.com. These reputable sites will explain that cops are trained to shoot for headlights and license plates, not windshields, which are usually not reflective enough for a good reading. The original intention of some states implementing the two plate law may have not been to help out cops who use lasers or to boost state revenue, but right now those ARE the major reasons why legislators are very reluctant to take this useless law off the books. This law makes them money.
Old 6/30/05, 07:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah NJ tags are expensive. My mustang has it's front plate. The 2 holes in my plastic bumper don't bother me casue you can't see 'em with the plate on

I don't have a front plate on my '35 streetrod, heck, don't even have a front bumper. Passed many an officer and not a problem, just nods and thumbs ups.
Old 6/30/05, 08:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by doulos4JC@June 4, 2005, 3:26 AM
Welcome to the Peoples Republic of Maryland. :bang:
hahaha PRM... LOL
Old 6/30/05, 08:53 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by jgsmuzzy@June 30, 2005, 1:17 AM
why do you need tto drill holes to fit the plate? I use 3m adhesive pads. even my pressure washer cannot loosen them (but they are easy to get off if you need too, and leave no residue)
Because I don't want someone to walk up and then walk away with my personalized plate.
Old 6/30/05, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by fleasome@June 5, 2005, 7:55 AM
Cops Perspective

OK. I just drilled two holes in my front bumper and installed my front plates. It won't hurt the value of the car. If you live in a two plate State, then if you ever sell it the new owner will most likely appreciate it.

As far as the rationale is concerned, plates are not really there for any other reason other than identification. Plate numbers are there so that when bad guys do something, someone can possibly get the numbers so that cops can follow up and catch them. Two plates makes it easier to solve things like hit and runs, robberies, etc. And don't say that real bad guys don't have the plates on their cars because they do. Even if it's not the correct plate, they are clues. It is difficult for a cop in a one plate state to see a car coming head on, then try to read the rear plate in the rear mirror as it passes. It makes cops jobs easier. It makes it easier for clearance of many crimes. It also makes it more difficult for those that refuse to pay taxes and license fees. That is extremely common in Missouri. People don't ever license, inspect or renew their cars and just run on an old plate, steal expiration stickers, or one plate off a car. I just makes it easier for us to detect.

I know you all hate cops, but that is my chosen profession. We are not all our to be ***** and just jack with you, but this is a tool that makes our job a whole lot easier.
I'm very sorry to be negative but that's just freaking dumb. Many states don't have it. If it was actually important. All states would have picked it up to get them bad guys. If you're a cop checking plates in your rear view mirror, STOP before you assend somone please. We just saw an accident yesterday where a cop rearended someone. I wonder if that's what he was doing? No one ever gets a chance to id someones plates before the fact that they're on their way away from you. Front plates, ugly and dumb. Nobody thinks they're worth it. Get a small innitiative going and everydody will X Yes on that vote. Everyone but a few police officers with overactive getcha syndrome. You may not be a Reno 911 cop but you have to admit, there are no shortage of them running around either.
Old 6/30/05, 10:44 AM
GT Member

Look I can say I don't hate policemen, ( I hate to use the word Cop) I have a few in the family. And it was good of you to explain why there is a need for front plates. But as a car owner myself, I like the look of the front end. I can't emagine putting plate on the front. I live in Pa. and we do not require front plates. I even told the dealer when the car came in it was not to be taged. It messes up the esthetic look. When you put front plates on this car it looks like it has buck teeth. It's smile is messed up. There is no longer cat like grin. So you see it's just how we look at the car. And the poor guy who has to put on a plate. Sorry Guy!!!!!
Old 6/30/05, 10:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by AJC@June 4, 2005, 11:27 AM
initiative 908 in the state of washington is trying to remove the front plate requirement - I Hope it gets on the ballot.
Too late for me... Not that it matters because I bought my car in Oregon were the dealership is required to install a front plate bracket. If Washington passes 908 I'll be able to put a better looking plate on the front
Old 6/30/05, 10:58 AM
Retired Tms Staff

I hate the fact that I have to have 2 plates as well. What I don't understand is how some states and provinces require 2 plates while others require only 1. To say they require 2 is that is makes it easier to find stolen cars etc, well, I just don't understand that. If I walk up behind someone and I am not sure if I know the person I will walk around to the front and look at their face. What's next, we have to start wearing a picture of our face on our backs so police know who we are. Everytime a car is pulled over the police car is behind them. The only use a front plate is to an officer is when the car is parked, such as in a parking lot. I have several friends that are police officers so don't get me wrong, I am not bashing cops here. It is the law I don't agree with.
Old 6/30/05, 01:56 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

My wife's Audi has been in our possession for longer than My car and has never had a front plate. Fact of the matter is the Audi just blends in better than the Mustang. People notice the car, they look at the car, and cops will immediately look the car over for a violation. I'm sure each individual cop examines the car for their own reason (admiration, jelousy etc) but my car is driven only about 30% as often as hers is. She's never been pulled over for it. I however was pulled over once pretty fast one nice sunny Saturday afternoon. I have him a song and dance about how Ford hasn't come up with the bracket yet (which is BS cause Ford doesn't make a bracket). Anyway, he let me go with a warning. I went home and drilled the holes.

:notnice:
Old 6/30/05, 02:09 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah I would imagine it's just a matter of luck. As to whether or not you get a ticket with no front plate.

I wish Ford made some kind of bracket that wouldn't need to be drilled into the front bumper.

The method one of the members used here is pretty good, but I don't really want to cut my bumper either.... oh well
Old 6/30/05, 02:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Wisconsin requires the front plate. I had to ask the dealer to put the front plate on. They said they don't normally do it on the Mustang because so many customers don't want it.

I figure since the V6 bumper has the dent for it anyway, might as well take away at least one reason to get pulled over.
Old 6/30/05, 05:24 PM
Cobra Member

Just out of curiosity... how much did that ticket cost?