General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Two tone paint ideas

Search this Thread

Old 10/12/12, 10:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did an image search on the internet and looked at hundreds of 2-toned mustangs... the color combos range from subtle to outrageous...

Not sure if you have seen pics of the P51 Mustangs, or the RedTail version... 2 nice looking cars with a silver base...

I would think a darker blue with either a black or red accent stripe... or an outrageous House of Colors Orange (07/08 Ford Edge color) split by yellow or purple accent...

If you have a quality printer and a nice daylite photo (similar to your 2nd one)... print out some pics on photo paper (or Walmart specials...), get some colored sharpies or paint sticks and go to town... straight edge ruler and a curved template (Staples) will aid in laying out your design...

Good luck and post up once you have taken the plunge...

btw... remember to have an "overall" clear coat added as a final color.

Last edited by delz05; 10/13/12 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10/13/12, 05:56 AM

Never thought of doing that and when I get it done I think I'm going to have the guy redo the whole car so it has fresh paint all around
Old 10/13/12, 08:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

When going over the final details of your color scheme, plan to remove the rear wing and hood scoop (paint under them, not around them) side view mirrors and all upper moldings (windows, doors etc). Again, paint under them. I had to replace one of my moldings due to the fact the push pin cracked when coming off... You will want to remove all lights, (tail, rear brake, side markers, front corners, headlights). Consider tinting them while they are off the car. I even removed the front and rear bumper covers. If you carry the paint onto the front fenders and rear quarters, remember to bring the paint line onto the inner fender (hood open) and inner quarter (deck lid open). Blanket and bag the engine compartment (reduce overspray and wetsanding residue) along with each wheel and your exhaust tips, pull off the decklid weatherstrip and seal up the trunk...

A good painter should know to do this, but it never hurts to point out what you want/expect.

Good Luck! Post up pics when you are finished.
Old 10/13/12, 02:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by TheDarkSide
With your color I would do Deep impact Blue on the top or maybe Lava Red. Something metallic to match the existing color. Now how you split the two tone is up to you. Delz has a nice design style for the body style. I'd also split the colors with a nice accent strip line.

But if you want to go windveil with your body color, maybe something like this?
Thats pretty cool! Never seen anything like it