General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Trouble starting at times

Search this Thread

Old 12/4/19, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble starting at times

I have a 2001 Bullitt with 74,000 miles. Runs great, but. Recently I drove home from work, parked in garage and in the morning it didn't start. Just cranked and not start up. I drove my pickup to work, came home after work and tried it again and it started right up.
Couple days later when I was leaving work, on turn of the key it almost started but didn't. Then cranked and cranked and finally started. Sounded like it was flooded a little like a carbureted vehicle. A couple of romps on the throttle and it was fine. Anybody have an idea of what is up?
Old 12/4/19, 08:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Suck, squeeze, bang, blow. For all 8 of those sequences to not work, the list is shorter than if it were one or two cylinders.

Crank sensor bad. Should throw a Check Engine Light, doesn't (that you've said), so that is *probably* ruled out... but I wouldn't toss it as 'not-it'. If you take the crank sensor out, the car can't figure out where to fire anything, so it doesn't.

Camshaft sensor. It may start, but it should throw a light as well, at some point.

Fuel delivery. Fuel pump is shot, or the fuel filter is clogged, or the gas is bad... such like that. I'd get a pressure gauge on the system to see what it's got for pressure at the fuel rails. I think there's an orifice there to bleed it, and the gauge would go there.

Computer is shot or wiring thereto. I sincerely hope it's not this one.

It's most likely not the coils. And I kind of doubt, since it did/does start, it's not anything timing related either, nor anything valvetrain/pistons/engine itself.

You may want to get the codes pulled to see if there's any pending ones anyway. And/or if you can get a scan tool on it, that might be helpful.

Overall, though, my bet is fuel pump/fuel filter. But that's a guess at best. Hope that helps in any event, and welcome to the forums!
Old 12/5/19, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. No check engine lights. I'm going to take it in for a diagnosis. We'll see what comes up.
Kent

Originally Posted by houtex
Suck, squeeze, bang, blow. For all 8 of those sequences to not work, the list is shorter than if it were one or two cylinders.

Crank sensor bad. Should throw a Check Engine Light, doesn't (that you've said), so that is *probably* ruled out... but I wouldn't toss it as 'not-it'. If you take the crank sensor out, the car can't figure out where to fire anything, so it doesn't.

Camshaft sensor. It may start, but it should throw a light as well, at some point.

Fuel delivery. Fuel pump is shot, or the fuel filter is clogged, or the gas is bad... such like that. I'd get a pressure gauge on the system to see what it's got for pressure at the fuel rails. I think there's an orifice there to bleed it, and the gauge would go there.

Computer is shot or wiring thereto. I sincerely hope it's not this one.

It's most likely not the coils. And I kind of doubt, since it did/does start, it's not anything timing related either, nor anything valvetrain/pistons/engine itself.

You may want to get the codes pulled to see if there's any pending ones anyway. And/or if you can get a scan tool on it, that might be helpful.

Overall, though, my bet is fuel pump/fuel filter. But that's a guess at best. Hope that helps in any event, and welcome to the forums!
Old 12/13/19, 06:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im not familiar with newer models so this may not help.Have you tried flooring the gas pedal while you turn the engine over?? Doing this shuts injector pulse off & allows an unlimited amount of air to enter which allows the excess fuel (if any is present) to be cleared out so the engine can start.After a few seconds with the pedal down,release the pedal,but continue cranking.If it starts when doing this,the ect sensor is suspect,a injector is leaking or the fpr is leaking.The regulator vacuum hose will normally have wet fuel inside it if the regulator is leaking.If a injector is leaking,the offending cylinders spark plug may be wet with fuel after you cycle the key on/off a few times then leave the key in run,since the injectors dont normally spray any fuel until after the ecu notices engine rotation during start/crank mode.Therefore fuel shouldn't be present until after this occurs,so if it is,it likely indicates a injector is leaking.
If the opposite is occurring,where you're not getting enough fuel,try cycling the key on/off 4-5 times before cranking.If it fires up,theres likely a pump or clogged filter issue.If neither of these help,the sensor mentioned in the previous post could be at fault.

Last edited by wbrockstar; 12/13/19 at 06:56 AM.