Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

fuel pressure gauge reading

Search this Thread

Old 8/4/13, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel pressure gauge reading

Quick question: if anyone has a fuel pressure gauge in their fuel line, does it read anything while cranking (but not starting) the engine? In other words, does it shoot up as soon as you turn the key, or stay at 0 until the engine is running? I put on brand new fuel rails with a new fuel pressure reg and then the car wouldn't start. I didn't think I was getting fuel pressure because the gauge reads 0. So I took off the feed line and got squirted with gas. The setup is feed line into fpr, which is on the same fuel rail (passenger side when looking into the engine compartment) as the return line. At the back of the passenger side fuel rail is a braided steel line going into the back of the driver's side fuel rail. And the fuel pressure gauge is on the front of the driver's side fuel rail (basically right next to the distributor.) The car ran perfect before just before this change. Yes the fuel pump does prime when I turn the key on.
Old 8/4/13, 10:24 PM

Is the regulator "closed" all the way? Can u mix up the fuel lines? Oh yeah obvious and dumb question - is there gas in the car?

Last edited by havhammer; 8/4/13 at 10:26 PM.
Old 8/5/13, 07:47 PM

Plenty of gas in the car. I did get squirted with pressurized fuel when I took off feed line. I changed gauge location before work today. Took it off the end of the rail and put it in the regulator, but didn't have time to try and fire it up. But still no answers to my question of whether the gauge should read 30-40psi just when I turn the key to "on", or does it not read until the engine is running??
Old 8/6/13, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Spaz
Plenty of gas in the car. I did get squirted with pressurized fuel when I took off feed line. I changed gauge location before work today. Took it off the end of the rail and put it in the regulator, but didn't have time to try and fire it up. But still no answers to my question of whether the gauge should read 30-40psi just when I turn the key to "on", or does it not read until the engine is running??
Mine reads 0psi after sitting for awhile and when I turn the key to on not running pump primes and I get 32-34psi.. Hope this helps
Old 8/6/13, 09:05 PM

Thanks, that's what I was wondering.