General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Tail lamp mods and me.

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/12, 09:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Tail lamp mods and me.

Yes, me. As in, the effect YOUR modded tail lamps might have on ME.

I was driving along, and a 05-09 Mustang was in front of mine. It was red, and I think it had the outer two lights disabled for brakes/turn signals.

It also had the smoked/tinted lenses, as well as the CHMSL with a reverse "MUSTANG" blackout.

All that? The brake lights were diminished when he wanted to suddenly turn in, as well as missing the outer lights, and the CHMSL is really not all that visible, so I **** near ran into the guy's Mustang. That would have sucked.

Luckily for him, I'm not some lesser driver, and I got Cooper Zeon RS3-As now, and Awesome was just that: Awesome. We didn't hit him, still got out of the way of the I'm-sure-was-not-happy-person behind us.

I will admit, I had been looking somewhere else for the *briefest* of moments. But still, I was looking back for some time, and THEN it registered... "Oh, he's stopping/turning!"

There's the problem. Taking the lenses and making them dimmer, and then turning off some of them, and then blocking the center quite a bit, AND it all blends in with the red your car is?!

You, my friend, are probably a very lucky customer that you're not rear ended more often.

Friends, it's nice to mod. Just don't do stupid ones, and definitely don't do them all at the same time.

/This PSA was brought to you by common sense: Don't screw with safety items, they're IMPORTANT.
//And here come the "don't tell me what to do, you stick in the mud" comments, and I'm ok with that.
Old 3/4/12, 05:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to jump on your bandwagon for a minute, as I've had the same complaint with the 'tint' folks. If you do the tint, at least spend the money for the brightest LED bulb that will fit in the socket.

http://www.autolumination.com/
Old 3/4/12, 07:24 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not a fan of it either. Glad you and Awesome are OK.
Old 3/4/12, 08:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad yall are ok!
Old 3/5/12, 12:45 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not only does tinting lights make them less effective, IMO they look like crap.
Old 3/5/12, 08:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
No, there are some cars it looks fantastic on. Black comes to mind.

I don't mind it, really, but if it affects the functionality, then it's no good. Get brighter bulbs or something to offset the tint.

And don't cover up your CHMSLs. They're really important.

/soapbox, really this time.
Old 3/5/12, 08:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://silverhorseracing.com/cart.ph...ategory_id=255
Old 3/6/12, 06:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't like the tinted tail lights either. I like to be as visible as possible to folks behind me, especially when I'm stopping or turning.
I took a cue from someone here a while back and spliced in a three wire socket into my two inner taillights on my 2005 so they also function as stop and turn lights like the outer ones. So now when I stop or turn all three rear lights work.
I though it was interesting that there was already a dual filiment bulb in there from the Ford factory.