General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Supercharger.... Whats all involved?

Search this Thread

Old 5/19/12, 04:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger.... Whats all involved?

Just curious to what all is involved to add a supercharger to a 2013 gt! Can you just buy a charger, do a tune, and thats it? Or are there other mods you have to do when adding a supercharger. I consider myself pretty mechannically inclined, would it be something i could do myself? Thanks!
Old 5/19/12, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by sampey43
Just curious to what all is involved to add a supercharger to a 2013 gt! Can you just buy a charger, do a tune, and thats it? Or are there other mods you have to do when adding a supercharger. I consider myself pretty mechannically inclined, would it be something i could do myself? Thanks!
Quit a bit. It's something you and a friend can accomplish over a weekend. The websites for most vendors allow the download of the instructions, to get an idea. American Muscle usually has all the 411 you'd need as well. Just look it up.

But, it's a pretty involved process, depending on the exact type of SC.
Old 5/19/12, 05:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depending on the amount of boost you want to run, you may need bigger injectors, dual fuel pump, and (or) Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump. You could also need to get forged pistons, rods, and crank depending on your horsepower goals as well and what overall outcome you're shooting for. The tune you're going to be looking for is going to be a Dyno Tune, not a handheld canned tune you see people apply with the purchase of a handheld tuner for basically and small "bolt-on" power adders. You can also buy a manual on how to install a supercharger and be done with it over a day or 2 depending on your end results you're going after. A 525rwhp goal is more feasible on the newer cars than say 800rwhp. If you're having to go with forged internals and a new transmission to handle the power then that's going to take a lot longer to real into the engine etc. What end results are you going for and why are you going forced induction to get there?
Old 5/19/12, 10:42 AM
Cobra Member

Ok well ill start the story from the beginning!!! Ill be in the market within the year for a mustang. This is my 2 options, mustang gt or gt500! Whichever i buy will be second hand like 2010-2012 gt500 or 2011-2013 gt. Just wanted to know cause the bottom line is I GOTTA
HAVE A SUPERCHARGED CAR! And as for as HP pete, i want whatever hp the stock motor/ tranny can hold. Im not looking for no more than 500rwhp on a gt and if i ended up buying at gt500, a few mods and id be there also! So wich route would you go and why? Gt500 or gt
Old 5/19/12, 12:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok well ill start the story from the beginning!!! Ill be in the market within the year for a mustang. This is my 2 options, mustang gt or gt500! Whichever i buy will be second hand like 2010-2012 gt500 or 2011-2013 gt. Just wanted to know cause the bottom line is I GOTTA
HAVE A SUPERCHARGED CAR! And as for as HP pete, i want whatever hp the stock motor/ tranny can hold. Im not looking for no more than 500rwhp on a gt and if i ended up buying at gt500, a few mods and id be there also! So wich route would you go and why? Gt500 or gt
I'm more apt to roll with the 2007-2009 GT500 myself. You can get them in the $20k-$30k range around these parts. OR get an 08 Roush 427r Trak Pak. If the GT500 option, I'd sink $1200 into a Fays2 Watts Link and have my weekend track car with either option. The biggest difference is I've seen both on a track course with seasoned drivers, the 427r prevailed but mainly because it was designed for track purposes, obviously. Roush is rated at 435 HP whereas the GT500 is pretty self explanatory on HP ratings. I'm a bigger fan of track racing as opposed to 1/4 mile. If you're seriously pondering an investment like this, I would suggest a Shelby Forum and find of the strengths and weaknesses.
Old 5/19/12, 01:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Pete07GT

I'm more apt to roll with the 2007-2009 GT500 myself. You can get them in the $20k-$30k range around these parts. OR get an 08 Roush 427r Trak Pak. If the GT500 option, I'd sink $1200 into a Fays2 Watts Link and have my weekend track car with either option. The biggest difference is I've seen both on a track course with seasoned drivers, the 427r prevailed but mainly because it was designed for track purposes, obviously. Roush is rated at 435 HP whereas the GT500 is pretty self explanatory on HP ratings. I'm a bigger fan of track racing as opposed to 1/4 mile. If you're seriously pondering an investment like this, I would suggest a Shelby Forum and find of the strengths and weaknesses.
I just want a sweet looking mustang vert for me and the ole lady to enjoy on the weekends and have 500rwhp! Lowered, exhaust, tint windows, wheels, and thats about it! Love the gt500 but if if thats out my budget then ill gladly take a 2013 gt! I customized a gt on my app just to show you what im looking for..... Let me know what you think?
Attached Thumbnails Supercharger.... Whats all involved?-image-226540198.jpg  
Old 5/19/12, 01:59 PM
GT Member

If it were me I would invest in a gt500. As a previous post said you can get an 07-09 for a very reasonable price. Also the power you want is already there. Plus you can still mod it and make it your own with other things such as wheels, exhaust, etc.
Old 5/19/12, 02:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Jrpalmer
If it were me I would invest in a gt500. As a previous post said you can get an 07-09 for a very reasonable price. Also the power you want is already there. Plus you can still mod it and make it your own with other things such as wheels, exhaust, etc.
I guess i want my cake an eat it too... the thing i like about the 2013 mustang is all the new available options, and if i went with the gt500 it would have to at least be a 2010 model. I guess its a good thing i dont have to make my mind up today but you guys have some very good points!!
Old 5/19/12, 03:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just want a sweet looking mustang vert for me and the ole lady to enjoy on the weekends and have 500rwhp! Lowered, exhaust, tint windows, wheels, and thats about it! Love the gt500 but if if thats out my budget then ill gladly take a 2013 gt! I customized a gt on my app just to show you what im looking for..... Let me know what you think?
It's what makes you happy and will be customized to what YOU want. I got mine because it was a performance oriented V8 and I got a great deal on it. After the suspension and turbo it will be the daily driver I could have only dreamt about just a year ago prior. The beauty of a Mustang though is that regardless if you have a base model or the filet mingion, everyone in the brother and sisterhood will surely lend you an opinion or offer insight.