General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Sound Deadening

Search this Thread

Old 2/7/12, 07:51 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound Deadening

I hope Deysha sees this and can add some input. Also, the rest of you who have any knowledge or experience with this, please chime in. My car is supposed to arrive next week on 2/14 so I need to know something when I go in to pick it up.

The previous dealer I visited, (where I ALMOST made a deal), had a lot of "add on" items, as I'm sure all dealers do. One of the things they mentioned was some kind of sound deadening/undercoating product that supposedly reduced the road noise inside the car.

Has anyone opted for that from the dealer? I can't remember the cost, but I'm wondering if there are options other than dealer installed versions. Is this something I could do myself. I'm not overly mechanical on the newer cars. (I'm a baby boomer from back in the day when you could actually tune your own 64 Impala SS without a computer by gapping the plugs, setting the points, and adjusting the timing and the fuel mixture on the carbs. I know. Old school.) I am certified with a screwdriver and a socket set, and that's about as far as it goes.

Thanks for your input.
Old 2/7/12, 08:16 PM

I have purchased several cars that the dealer had already sprayed the undercoating on, I have also had many cars without the undercoating. In my opinion, it is not worth the added expense. Just my 2 cents.
Old 2/7/12, 08:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Skip it.
Old 2/7/12, 08:29 PM
Bullitt Member

It may quiet down the beautiful harmony of your exhaust.
Old 2/7/12, 08:33 PM
GT Member

Well, I don't want to quiet that throaty exhaust note. That's one of my favorite sounds. Actually, the car I test drove was actually quieter on the road than my 2011 BMW 335i. And that car has only 5,800 miles on it. So I'm impressed with the Mustang. Also, the build quality is equal or superior to the BMW interior.

The car I've ordered has the Premium Interior with the seats with the stripes on them. I've been looking around at photos, and I'm not certain, but I'm thinking this premium interior may come with the chrome shifter. But I could be wrong.
Old 2/8/12, 03:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
here's my thread on my 06 but I am sure some of this stuff will help on your car. All of it very easy to do and not to expensive. to me it was well worth the efort and I still need to do my floor and front fenders. I also agree with the other folks that said skip the dealer add on spray stuff. I had it done to my 2000 gt and still regret it. Take the cash you save and spend it on some sound deadner and install it yourself.
https://themustangsource.com/f692/so...nstall-495360/
Old 2/8/12, 04:23 PM
GT Member

Glenn - Wow! You went to a lot of work. From what I read on your post it seems like the roof deadening provides the most dramatic change. How much trouble is it to get the headliner out and in? And where do you get the ensolite or whatever it's called. Thanks for sharing that by the way. Very good info.
Old 2/8/12, 05:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
it was pretty easy to get the headliner out. A lot eaiser the th eolder cars and the door panels come out way eaiser than the older cars too. Eaiser to get back together too.
this is from that thread I posted the link to
http://www.raamaudio.com/index.php?p...emart&Itemid=3

you must have missed it. There are several other places out there that sell this type of stuff. Amazon sells some stuff also.
you can click on those two roof pictures for before and after vids. just incase you missed them. The other guy that chimed in said in noticed the biggest difference from doing his floorboards and front fenders.

Last edited by Glenn; 2/8/12 at 05:22 PM.