General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Short people and the clutch pedal.

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/15, 06:26 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Short people and the clutch pedal.

I am 5'6" and had to sit pretty close up to get the clutch pedal all the way down. It was manageable and it was ok, but I bought the clutch pedal extender and it made a world of improvement. Now I can sit further back and driving is more comfortable. I got mine from American Muscle.
Attached Thumbnails Short people and the clutch pedal.-pedalextender.jpg  
Old 3/9/15, 08:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I recently acquired a broken right kneecap, and got this as well because of the brace I had to wear wouldn't let me be that far in while I had to wear it (just ankle pumps for the accelerator, so that worked fine.)

I cannot believe I didn't have this on the car before. It's perfect. SO much more comfortable with it on. It will never come off.
Old 3/9/15, 09:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
First Mod I did. Well worth the money unless you are way to tall. Should come like this from the factory.
Old 3/9/15, 11:12 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I was leaning toward the auto anyway, but when I drove a stick and realized what the driving position would be like (and I'm 5' 11") my mind was made up. I have no idea what the Ford engineers were thinking.
Old 3/9/15, 11:47 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
This is pretty dang cool. The issue always is that the accelerator and brake pedals are never pushed to the floor continuously during normal driving. They should have offset it like this from the factory a long time ago. On the other hand, Ford finally makes an automatic trans in the mustang that really performs well. If they ever go full on with a DCT unit in a mustang, I will never own another manual. My left leg can fall off and I will still be happy driving.
Old 3/10/15, 06:55 AM
Former Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 14BlackGT
I am 5'6" and had to sit pretty close up to get the clutch pedal all the way down. It was manageable and it was ok, but I bought the clutch pedal extender and it made a world of improvement. Now I can sit further back and driving is more comfortable. I got mine from American Muscle.
Hey 14BlackGT - Thanks for taking the time to have your review posted up! I'm really happy to hear that you're enjoying the Clutch Pedal Extension! I'm a hair taller than you but having had a pre-existing condition (Laid down a Honda XR100 when I was a little guy) this really actually helps me in bumper to bumper traffic! When I eventually get into a newer Mustang I'll likely get into an automatic as..it's just kind of getting old and as much as I can't believe I'm typing this we age! It's a great part and I'm wondering why Ford never offered this right from the dealer let alone any others!

Thanks again for your feedback we really appreciate it!

Alex

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
First Mod I did. Well worth the money unless you are way to tall. Should come like this from the factory.
Jazz - I couldn't agree with you more! It definitely should've been an option getting your car right off the showroom floor! I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying yours as well!

Alex

Originally Posted by tukatz
I was leaning toward the auto anyway, but when I drove a stick and realized what the driving position would be like (and I'm 5' 11") my mind was made up. I have no idea what the Ford engineers were thinking.
This^!

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
This is pretty dang cool. The issue always is that the accelerator and brake pedals are never pushed to the floor continuously during normal driving. They should have offset it like this from the factory a long time ago. On the other hand, Ford finally makes an automatic trans in the mustang that really performs well. If they ever go full on with a DCT unit in a mustang, I will never own another manual. My left leg can fall off and I will still be happy driving.
Agreed and I know how you mean on the manuals. You run through so many of them that you just hit a wall and even the idea of sitting in bumper to bumper traffic on a major highway just makes me ache!!!

Let me know if anyone has any questions about this and I'm here to help!

Alex
Old 3/10/15, 07:15 AM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts
I don't like to sit too close to the wheel either. I'm only 5'3" and I just really have to stretch my leg as far as it will go. But after 80k miles now, I'm comfortable with it. I know you guys won't understand this but it already throws me off if I wear heels when I'm driving and I imagine this would take some getting used to for me.
Old 3/10/15, 09:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I understand. For I too have listened to The Truck Driving Song, and thanks to Weird Al, I get the heels being a problem for ya.
Old 3/10/15, 10:20 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I guess I've got the opposite problem. I'm too tall to fully extend my leg so my knee ends up at some funky angles.
Old 3/10/15, 11:33 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by 08GTCandyApple
I don't like to sit too close to the wheel either. I'm only 5'3" and I just really have to stretch my leg as far as it will go. But after 80k miles now, I'm comfortable with it. I know you guys won't understand this but it already throws me off if I wear heels when I'm driving and I imagine this would take some getting used to for me.

I hate driving my Mustang in heels

But they really show off my calves
Old 3/10/15, 11:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

I just installed this on my Shelby last weekend with great results! It gives the car totally different feel.
Old 3/10/15, 11:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Heels. Mustang girl problems.
Old 3/10/15, 01:01 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Alex: do think you can convince the manufacturer to make the same thing for the Fiesta ST. Same issue but not so pronounced. I seem to remember the clutch pedal was offset and a bit higher in the fox bodies. Why they changed is beyond me.

Dear Candy: If you drive with heels, you will eventually poke holes in the carpet.

2k7GTCs: Who is going to be looking at your calves down there?

Just kidin........
Old 3/10/15, 01:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus
Hey 14BlackGT - Thanks for taking the time to have your review posted up! I'm really happy to hear that you're enjoying the Clutch Pedal Extension! I'm a hair taller than you but having had a pre-existing condition (Laid down a Honda XR100 when I was a little guy) this really actually helps me in bumper to bumper traffic! When I eventually get into a newer Mustang I'll likely get into an automatic as..it's just kind of getting old and as much as I can't believe I'm typing this we age! It's a great part and I'm wondering why Ford never offered this right from the dealer let alone any others!

Thanks again for your feedback we really appreciate it!

Alex

Alex, looks like you just made my first review an easy pick...I love my standard trans but hate that I have to be closer to the wheel then I am with my truck!!!

time to go see how much these are and get them and review them!!!

oh and why must you do this to me???? why Alex? Why do you make it so easy to dream of things to do to the car to get more enjoyment out of it!!!!!
Old 3/10/15, 01:49 PM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
I understand. For I too have listened to The Truck Driving Song, and thanks to Weird Al, I get the heels being a problem for ya.
Lol

Originally Posted by GrnT
Heels. Mustang girl problems.
I know, right?

Dear Candy: If you drive with heels, you will eventually poke holes in the carpet.
Luckily we are a pretty casual office and I only have to dress up when we have clients come in, which isn't that often. Just a few times a month. If I had to wear them more often, I would have my seat set where I'm more comfortable driving with them on. But I hate having to move my seat all the time, seems like I can never get it back in just the right spot!

I forgot to say that I keep clear mats over my carpet to protect them, so holes wouldn't be an issue

Last edited by 08GTCandyApple; 3/10/15 at 02:01 PM.
Old 3/10/15, 01:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

I know what it feels like not getting the seat back to the correct spot...happens every time I adjust it because I cleaned the carpet or mats.....
Old 3/10/15, 03:28 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
they got tiny little cars that go Beep beep beep ... HA !!!
Old 3/10/15, 03:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Hey Alex: do think you can convince the manufacturer to make the same thing for the Fiesta ST. Same issue but not so pronounced. I seem to remember the clutch pedal was offset and a bit higher in the fox bodies. Why they changed is beyond me.

2k7GTCs: Who is going to be looking at your calves down there?

Just kidin........
Here is the company that makes it give them a call.
http://www.bondraperformanceengineering.com/
Old 3/11/15, 02:46 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

Lol

Please for the love of all that is good and great in this world, don't tempt him.
Old 3/20/15, 10:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

too late its started....