General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Question about knock sensors

Search this Thread

Old 3/16/12, 10:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about knock sensors

Just out of curiosity, will the knock sensors cause the check engine light to come on if they detect knock?

I was driving just a little while ago on the freeway, cruise control on at 65, stereo off, just kinda zoning out and I thought I heard what might've been some spark-knock, but it was extremely faint and the engine seemed totally normal. No lights on or anything, no reduced power like the sensors were pulling timing or anything.

I'm probably being an automotive hypochondriac because this is the first nice car I've ever owned and the first car I've ever spent a large amount of money on and I'd hate for something to be wrong with it.

Should detonation be pretty obvious to detect if it does happen? It was a really, really faint sound, and could've just been a rattle somewhere.
Old 3/22/12, 08:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kevin509
Just out of curiosity, will the knock sensors cause the check engine light to come on if they detect knock?

I was driving just a little while ago on the freeway, cruise control on at 65, stereo off, just kinda zoning out and I thought I heard what might've been some spark-knock, but it was extremely faint and the engine seemed totally normal. No lights on or anything, no reduced power like the sensors were pulling timing or anything.

I'm probably being an automotive hypochondriac because this is the first nice car I've ever owned and the first car I've ever spent a large amount of money on and I'd hate for something to be wrong with it.

Should detonation be pretty obvious to detect if it does happen? It was a really, really faint sound, and could've just been a rattle somewhere.
The knock sensor will detect engine knock, It tells the PCM and the PCM takes out timing. You won't get a check engine light form a knock sensor doing its job.
Detonation isn't always audible.
Put Premium fuel in your investment to help avoid detonation.
Old 3/22/12, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, not sure why you wouldn't wanna run premium in it.
Old 3/22/12, 08:44 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
knock sensors will set the light for missfires. but will only correct timing for detonation.